Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Bleed issues on mug wrap press
    By tydonk in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 08:51 PM
  2. 5 way mug press issues!
    By jase1985 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  3. Ink issues
    By Chas in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
  4. Epson D120 issues - I have two of them, each with different issues!
    By barryslip in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 02:15 PM
  5. Mug Press issues
    By MissyH in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile oh woe is me, mug press issues!

Hi Guys,

hopefully someone will shed some light on my 'mis-haps' ............. ?

I have a mug press and all the right kit to go with it. I get all my blanks from a reputable supplier (BMS) so I know the problems not there.

But, alately - every now and then I have a mug that goes wrong.

What I mean by wrong, is that it's always the same thing that the transfer of the image looks faded in a small area (the area moves around and isn't in one spot but is normally near the edges).

I do a batch of say 10 mugs - perfect ............... then it happens and I swear that the mug (when I take it out) doesn't feel as hot as it normally does!

I have done about 75-100 mugs through the press so I should imagine that the press has a better life than that?

I have adjusted the pressure, the temp and the time but I can't pin point it as the next mug will be fine and then down the line about 6 later I have a throwback!

I am at the end of my tether now and I am trying to think of everything.

My current settings on the press are 200degrees for 210 seconds with firm pressure (any more pressure and there is a twang in the press like it's too tight).

Advice would be really appeciated.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!
    (contact Admin for more details)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Re: oh woe is me, mug press issues!

I do mine at 185c for 180 secs so not that different to you. What press is it? It needs to be tight/snug but not overly, although I don't think that's your problem. It does sound like there's a cool spot and possibly the blanket is on its way out. I wonder if this cool spot could move though?

Do you have any way of testing it? I borrowed an infra red therm. from work, and it did a cracking job of telling me blanket temps.

Whereabouts is the faded area? You mention on the edges, is this at the top/bottom where the mug can taper a little?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't get the press from Lovecut Justin, but it is identical to the one below (LC4 Model).

I only bought it in May so I presume that it should still be under warranty if the problem is the blanket?

Ref where the problem lies, it's not the top or bottom of the mug but around near the handle on the edge of the image nearest the handle. I have made sure that the image isn't too big and sometimes use a smaller template than the one normally used - and the blanket fully covers the image when it's being pressed.

Ref testing the blanket - I don't have anyway of doing it apart from sticking my finger in to see if it's hot (I did and it's hot!) or using the turkey thermometer .................. which I think will be a no.

So, apart from that - any ideas or should I contact the supplierof the press?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apart from sticking my finger in to see if it's hot (I did and it's hot!)
    Sorry, that made me :lol:

I don't think the blankets come with that long a warranty on them, maybe 3 months? You'd need to check with your supplier on that one

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I'd certainly contact the supplier, I can only think it's the blanket. I was about to ask how close you were trying to print near the handle but I think you've answered that. Not sure about warranty, often the blanket is seperate and may be 3 months or a set number of mugs, either way I'd say you were well within so give them a shout.

I think I've seen the press on some of the Chinese sites so getting a new banket shouldn't be too difficult.

Who was the supplier? Which mugs are you using, 10oz/11oz etc?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not the top or bottom of the mug but around near the handle on the edge of the image nearest the handle.
    Sounds to me as though the image is too close to the handle as the heat dissipates very quickly at the edges of the heat blanket. How wide are your images? I wouldn't have thought it would be the blanket as it's printing most of the mug and only at the edges of the blanket are you getting problems.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz
    apart from sticking my finger in to see if it's hot (I did and it's hot!)
    Sorry, that made me :lol:

I don't think the blankets come with that long a warranty on them, maybe 3 months? You'd need to check with your supplier on that one
    I just sent the guy an e-mail asking him to advise - we'll see. Ref 'making you' .............. I should have told you where the Turkey Thermometer was ........... now that would tickle you!

Quote Originally Posted by bms
    Sounds to me as though the image is too close to the handle as the heat dissipates very quickly at the edges of the heat blanket. How wide are your images? I wouldn't have thought it would be the blanket as it's printing most of the mug and only at the edges of the blanket are you getting problems.
    I vary the image template to be totally honest. Sometimes I have an image that totally covers the whole mug from top to bottom and it transfers with no problem (and looks very nice). Then the same image template has faded edges towards the handle!

Other times I have just a logo on it (keeping well away from the handles and top/bottom), first mug brilliant and vibrant - second mug looks faded as though it didn't transfer properly.

:cry: