Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. For Sale Adkins Studio Mug Press
    By GoonerGary in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 12:09 AM
  2. Adkins Studio Mug Press
    By GoonerGary in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-09-2014, 09:25 AM
  3. Adkins Studio Press
    By cumbriakevin in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-05-2014, 07:28 PM
  4. Adkins Studio Mug Press Temp
    By GoonerGary in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 17-04-2013, 08:22 PM
  5. Sold Adkins Studio Mini Clam Press and Ricoh 3110 sublijet printer
    By bigdougie in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for my info, I have a press that looks identical to the BMS press but different colour, instructions make no reference to a dummy mug when heating. Can someone just explaine the reason for a dummy mug and should it be common practice to use one for all presses?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will let you know, best regards.

(the DSF at it's best with this one)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Dummy (blank) mug is used to protect the blanket whilst it is heated to temp and cooled down.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin

Well it seems the move to 160 secs has solved the printing issues, it is surprising how much that extra 20 secs improves matters.

The only thing I am now struggling with is the spare mug issue.

When I turn the machine on using the red start/stop button the temp indicator will show 180 c but as soon as I close the handle it will start counting down from 160 secs and the only way to allow the machine to heat to 180 c is to open the clamp which rather defeats the object of having the dummy mug in place!

Also, after you have finished the mug printing process and you put the dummy mug back in place and stopped the temperature rising process by pressing the red start/stop button, the machine starts to count down from 160 secs when I would have expected it just to show a dropping temperature, you can, of course, turn the whole machine off but you then may have to wait for the other head to finish it's process before doing so.

Am I doing something wrong in the set-up settings perhaps, or is the above normal? The Adkins manual seems to indicate not and that you should be able to place a dummy mug in the clamps and watch the temperature rise to 180c with the clamp shut!

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not use a dummy mug in my adkins. I use 170 degrees for 200 secs whether I am pressing images from my Ricoh 3110 or my epson wide format.
    As you say it starts counting down as soon as you close the handle.
    My mugs are cold to the touch when I put them in, and pressure is quite light, just enough for the blanket to curl slightly around the end of the mug when clamped shut.

I also have some DF1's and I run them at the same time / temperature.

I guess my time is based on the fact that my mugs are quite cold!

Janners

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Haha, the old countdown whilst warming problem! With my presses I can close the handle 'just enough' so that the handle stays shut but the counter doesn't start. Never come up with any better idea and can be a pain but generally this works for me :-) I've always used a dummy mug but I'm not sure how effective this is. Interesting to hear that JMugs doesn't use one and also follows the lighter pressure advice.
    Last edited by Justin; 31-12-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Justin, that's how you do it, I just could not see what I was doing wrong, while the Adkins Manual is factually incorrect, apart from your 'tweak', there is seemingly nothing that can be done other than not shutting the press, maybe the heating up cycle is not so important, as it happens quite quickly and on cooling down you can always switch the machine off, though I appreciate in a production environment this is not always the best use of time!

It is interesting that you and Janners use completely different settings with regard to temp/time/pressure yet both achieve good results, I suppose it just proves the versatility of the Adkins machine, though I still think the pressure is difficult to properly gauge on these machines, as they are so much more sturdy compared with say a DF1, from which, I have to say, we have achieved some excellent results since it is such an easy machine to operate and move around.

Thanks for all your help on this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Just a quick update. I lowered the pressure a fair bit on mine, increased temp 10c and time 15secs and it appears to be printing spot on. I've been printing a full width block colour which can be a pain but doing this has perfected it. Obviously is no need for mega pressure on these, like you say, as long as it wraps over this should be enough :-) Blanket should last longer as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Justin

So are you now printing at 190c for 175 seconds - please can you confirm.

Will have a look at the pressure since as you say the blanket should last a lot longer and the way these machines are built it does look like the pressure is very evenly distributed.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    180c for 195 secs for this particular job but I can prob come down 10 secs safely from that :-) I'm using Subli E inks which may be slightly different.