Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Black printing "faint" - coming out brown when pressed
    By Pea in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 12:27 AM
  3. Sold George Knight DK20S Swing Heat Press 16" x 20" Size
    By Fidget242 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-04-2014, 01:52 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick mug printing "survey"...

Hi all - As I am about to embark on a new mug printing venture, I thought it would be interesting to see where people's best leads come from! As well as looking for some tips (yes, it really is transparent!) I thought it might also be an interesting read for other mug-printers!

So, if you would like to comment, please score the following, 1 being the highest, of where you get your leads from!

Ebay
    Own Website
    Other Internet Sites
    Local businesses - promo material
    Local businesses - stock for them to sell
    Local Fetes / Carnivals

Hopefully this is okay?
    Cheers

:mrgreen:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Re: Quick mug printing "survey"...

I only really sell through local companies at the moment so I've based these marks on when I ran my own company full-time.

In order, top being most important:

Own Website
    Local businesses - stock for them to sell
    Ebay
    Other Internet Sites
    Local Fetes / Carnivals
    Local businesses - promo material

Hope I did this ok! :lol:
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thanks Justin - it will be interesting to see everyones results!

:D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lee,

I do regular mail outs to potential new customers using both emails & the post. The reason why I do this is because I have been targeting a certain market which I know very well. I have also shared leaflets with other local businesses where we have one side of the leaflet each & it's them who deliver the leaflets. £100 for 10,000 colour glossy leaflets you can't go wrong in bringing in some orders. I also have some of my regular customers handing out leaflets at shows as they have a lot of my products on display & they also tell potential new customers about my good service & quality which money just couldn't buy. Nothing better than word of mouth advertising in my book.

Another tactic I have used is going into photographers shops & ask them if they do photo mugs or mouse mats etc. The usual answer is no & they say we just can't get them in single orders only in multiples. I then say I produce them & their ears prick up straight away. I them nip back to the car & come back with a few samples I always carry around with me in the boot. I'm pleased to say that tactic has worked every time now & one photographer I do work for we have regular joint promotions at times such as Christmas, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Easter etc. We have just done a Bonny Baby Competition where the Lord Mayor chose the winners & that brought in lots of business. The photographers have a display area where samples of my work is on show & doesn't cost me a penny apart from the cost of the samples on display. Another idea was getting in touch with schools & as well as just the school photos on offer we included mugs, mouse mats & key rings & the orders just flood in even though it is a lot of hard work but, well worth it in the end.

Another tactic that I have used is getting hold of a business card from some companies & then print that onto a mug or mouse mat & then go in & show them it & that works most times when you ask them how many times they have searched for someones business card & couldn't find it. You will find that they never throw a free mug away & then it hits them what a better promotional tool a mug or a mouse mat is as they are usually always on their desk.

Another tactic I use is sending out regular emails to my customers informing them of any new products I'm doing & they all want to know more straight away.

I tend to find that Ebay is a bit dog eat dog unless you have something unique on there & can then charge a premium for it. There is no way on Ebay I'm going to try to sell items other people are selling for no profit at all.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian M
    Another tactic that I have used is getting hold of a business card from some companies & then print that onto a mug or mouse mat & then go in & show them it & that works most times when you ask them how many times they have searched for someones business card & couldn't find it. You will find that they never throw a free mug away & then it hits them what a better promotional tool a mug or a mouse mat is as they are usually always on their desk.
    ;) this worked for me too :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Echoing Ians comments, my biggest client right now is a local photo centre. They were buying sublimation stuff online and paying postage costs. I'm about to approach more photographers in the area as well, that certainly seems to work ;)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one Paul & have a try at some of the other things I said too. :D

Justin, it was just a matter of me being a bit cheeky going in & asking but, it has been one of the best things I have done. One thing I forgot to add is that aomeone who does large canvases got one of my leaflets through his door & we are now working together as I can't do canvases & he needed someone who prints mugs. :D We have decided to share any profits 50/50 & it is working out really well.

One thing I picked up working in the banks is that if businesses can work together in helping each other then they tend to do much better in times such as these. I think there is no better example of that than this forum which really is the way for the future.

Ian :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Couldn't agree more Ian. I've been toying with setting up by myself again and selling direct to the public. Having the photo centre as a customer means I get a huge target market without having to go out and get it. I just need them to push my stuff more! They still stock the 'insert phot here' range of mouse mats etc. and I would liek to see these gone as it's just competition we don't need there.

Re. the school photo's. They don't do them every year at schools here but a photographer friend has started doing them and we're looking at offering packages, the parent can then choose something better than a teeny weent photo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Superb comments - and extremely helpful!

I do have one or two of these things on my list but its good to know they actually work! Do you mind if I ask you a couple more questions Ian (and anyone else who knows of course!):

1. If your not near me (Warrington, Cheshire) - would you mind sharing some of your templates? (damn cheek!)
    2. Do you use photoshop or something else to design in?
    3. What do you typically sell mugs etc for?
    4. Is this now a dull time business for you? I would love to get to that stage
    5. If I have say, a fairly unique mug printing idea, could it sell for a lot more than a typical printed mug? I know its hard to say, but I guess Im asking do you have anything that you sell for alot more than the typical price, and does it work?

Just tell me to b*gg*r off if I've crossed the line!
    :twisted:
    Cheers
    Lee

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VSW
    4. Is this now a dull time business for you? I would love to get to that stage
    I do hope that should read "full" not "dull" lol....yeah, it gets dull sometimes :lol: