Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Polymer mugs decide to melt!!!!
    By JMugs in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-08-2015, 03:44 AM
  2. Can't Decide... Any ideas?
    By bendee2020 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-05-2014, 01:05 PM
  3. struggling to get in touch with a Dealer ..
    By Volusian in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 09:42 PM
  4. struggling to launch...
    By soulclaimed in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
  5. Roland Versacamm Plotter/Printer
    By gstk in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Struggling to decide: Roland BN-20 or OKI c711wt Printer

Sorry for these questions, but really need some advice. I mainly want to print short run cotton tees, but would like to have some other strings to my bow.

So I want a versatile machine for starting out and the BN-20 looks spot on.

But, I'm torn between it and the cheaper OKI c711wt which would let me do white prints onto dark tees, sublimation mugs - but no decals.

The BN-20 though, would allow me to do decals, t-shirt transfers, wall stickers, work wear and small signs etc.

I'm a bit confused about the decal printing though. I've read that if the decal is going onto a car or motorbike, it'll need to be laminated.

So would I need to print the decals, take them off the BN-20, laminate them and then put them back into the BN-20 for cutting?

Also, the BN-20 only takes narrow vinyl - is this expensive to get hold of?

Lastly and sorry about these questions... most of the t-shirts will be white designs onto black tees - is there a way to do this without weeding and would I need to get the BN-20 configured to print with white ink?
    Last edited by wokka; 31-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another choice, as I'm just starting out is a quality cutter/plotter and heat press.

As a total newbie the worry here is that I wouldn't be able to cut and weed very intricate designs for tees and what is the durability and feel of garment vinyl over a fairly large area?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Firstly, stop apologising for asking questions, that's why we're here! :-)

Are the designs you're doing likely to be one offs or bigger numbers? Single or multi colour?
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, Justin

Probably short runs to begin 10's, 20's and hopefully build up the numbers as the designs get better.

More likely 1, 2 or 3 colours - but ability to do more would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few months ago we had similar questions. What you want to do first? We chose T shirts/garments and stickers so ended up with the BN-20. Glad we did too. You choose either a white, metallic or extra Magenta configured BN-20 and can't chop and change. Ours is extra magenta, no laminator yet but a cold one is on the list. Doesn't stop us doing decals, just makes them more resilient to scratches/wear. Yes you print, remove, dry, laminate then refit to cut. There are thin flexible vinyls and thicker sturdier ones, flocks, glitters and many more variants. Normally you would print your colours/designs but you can choose to use coloured vinyls and just cut out if you wish too.

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this Mark.

If I'm printing onto white garment vinyl then I can't see the need for the white ink system, also I've heard that white ink needs more head cleans and is prone to blocking?

How do you find the print speed, I've read elsewhere that it's a bit of a tortoise compared to the larger sp-300i - TBH I'm not that worried about speed, as I'm only starting out and have read it will happily print all night without any attendance! But it would be good to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BN20's have automatic maintenance schedules to keep head clean etc, leave them on 24/7 to ensure it happens. Metallic ink is more expensive but gives you a feature if you can use it and white enables you to do clear/transparent decals plus some other things. If you don't need or want or use either then it's not a problem. I've not had an issue so far and if I did then I'd ask a friend who has a white one to help me out, can't see I'd have use for metallic. I considered larger models but as a beginner with limited space I decided on a BN20 and see how things go. Print speed, sure it isn't as fast as larger models of which some have multiple printheads to achieve higher throughput but then extra footprint/space is required and they cost more. If speed becomes an issue in time then I would upgrade or add another BN20. I haven't had enough to do on it to run all night but yes that should be fine and I would.

Useful read is here

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-gobby View Post
    BN20's have automatic maintenance schedules to keep head clean etc, leave them on 24/7 to ensure it happens. Metallic ink is more expensive but gives you a feature if you can use it and white enables you to do clear/transparent decals plus some other things. If you don't need or want or use either then it's not a problem. I've not had an issue so far and if I did then I'd ask a friend who has a white one to help me out, can't see I'd have use for metallic. I considered larger models but as a beginner with limited space I decided on a BN20 and see how things go. Print speed, sure it isn't as fast as larger models of which some have multiple printheads to achieve higher throughput but then extra footprint/space is required and they cost more. If speed becomes an issue in time then I would upgrade or add another BN20. I haven't had enough to do on it to run all night but yes that should be fine and I would.

Useful read is here

Mark
    just to clarify that, you dont need to leave machine ON 24/7 to make it clean it self. As long as machine is connected to the wall socket it will still self maintain it self.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must leave them on 24/7 otherwise the electricity isn't available for the self cleaning maintenance to run, the main power switch is on the back next to the power cord inlet.

You can switch off the sub power (press illuminated blue button on front) or leave it to go into a sleep mode after about 30 minutes where the illuminated blue button will then flash occasionally. This is what I suspect Paul was highlighting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    thats right :)
    i was thinking you are talking about blue lighted button. this not need to be on. only power button at the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG