Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Black ink only
    By bycandlelight27 in forum Printers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-12-2014, 06:28 PM
  2. LoveCut Black Mugs and poor Black
    By Red5 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-02-2013, 09:47 PM
  3. black ink
    By smitch6 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-04-2011, 10:23 AM
  4. black mugs
    By chongsta in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM
  5. black polo
    By smitch6 in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no black ink?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no black ink?

hi, sorry i posted this on the introduction page by accident.

i am an illustrator/designer, and have just bought myself a nice sublimation set up to get a few of my designs on t's, cups and such! thing is i am stuck already!

i have an epson D120 with a CIS system, and i am running it from a mac. firstly, for some reason there is no CIS option in the colour preferences on the macs printer options. The main problem i am having though, is that the black ink is not coming through AT ALL! i have done several nozzle checks and head cleans, but to no avail.

Can anybody help me out with this problem asap? i have an exhibition coming up, that i would really like to have some sub work ready for.

cheers

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: no black ink?

CIS option in the colour preferences on the macs printer options
    I don't think there is an option for this in any printer setup.

I presume the D120 isn't new. Does it print perfectly with normal inks? If it does then the problem must be related to the CIS, but you will need to put some ordinary carts in the printer to rule out the printer as a problem. If the heads are blocked when using normal inks then this could be a problem which may require some work to try to get it printing again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is straight out of the box, but i am yet to try it with normal carts, as i use a different printer for that stuff. somebody told me to leave it over night, as that may get the ink in to the cartridges? does that sound possible? in the set up i got with the CIS it only gives instructions to work with a pc, and i think it asked to change a print setting to CIS, i will check again in a minute.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have an EasyFlow sublimation CIS then there will be a help file on the CD that came with the kit for how to configure the printer settings and also the software for use with the ICC profile.

If you have a new D120 straight out of the box then it must have been in the box a long time ;) . I'd suggest up to 5 head cleans with a nozzle check in between to see if the black gets through. Leave it for an hour or so after these head cleans as it can flood the printhead. Other options are to print something bold and in black in and set the printer to print at best quality to force the black ink through the print head.

It might be worthwhile checking to see if the black ink levels are depleting in the CIS bottles to confirm that ink is going trough the system as you might need to prime the black ink cartridge with ink if the cartridge, for whatever reason, isn't completely full of ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks BMS, i will check all of this and let you know what happens. (yeah, when i say 'out of the box', i got it off ebay from somebody who had never used it .. .. apparently)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello again,

i Have done as you said, printing a large area of black, which comes out a bluey grey colour. I was wrong before it was not that there was no CIS option, (as that doesn't exist!) there is no ICC option in the macs colour preferences for the printer. Any idea how i can change it to the correct ICC profile without that?

i am not convinced that any ink is travelling from the CIS to the printer, as the ink levels in the CIS are full, and the printer is reading very low amounts of ink?

thanks for your help, if you have any other ideas, please let me know!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so i have now primed the black ink cartridges, which means that i am now getting black, and all of my colour and print settings are apparently correct. i am now getting an extremely dull colour print out. very vibrant colours are coming out almost grey. is that normal? how can i change it? thanks. :D :shock:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a guide from Sawgrass re Macs. I'm not a Mac user so have just copied and pasted this...

Profiles are not installable, only readable. They are basically lookup tables for the imaging software to use to determine colours.

MAC users just need to know where to copy the file (profile) too.
    This depends on the MAC's operating system. Any operating system before OS.X the profile needs to be copied into the 'System\Colorsync' folder. For OS.X systems the profile needs to be copied into the 'System\Colorsync\Profiles' folder.

If Photoshop is already open then it will need re-booting then you should be able to see the profile when you drop down the 'Print Space' window (there are pdf files on the CD that comes with the Artainium ink system which try to explain where this is on the MAC, unfortunately the MAC software guy's keep changing the screens).

If you still cannot see the profile your machine may be one of those MAC's that cannot read a file if it has a PC file extension. In this folder there is a utility (pc2mac_icc_profile - this used to be shipped on the MAC but they don't do it anymore) which you drag and drop the profile onto the icon on the desktop and it will convert the PC profile to be MAC readable.

You should now be able to see the profile in any ICC compliant software. As long as the profle is placed in the output stage of the imaging software and the printer driver section is set to 'No colour adjustment' or 'No Colour Management' (the terminology varies) then the colour correction profile will do the rest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for looking in to this. i have managed to install the correct profile from the disk, and the printer is now using that profile when i print from illustrator or photoshop. the main problem now, is that the colours that are printing are really dull! is that normal? does it change at all when you press it? sorry, i'm new to all of this, so glad to have helpfull knowledgable people about to help.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does it change at all when you press it?
    Yes, big time! The prints will look pastel coloured and washed out and the vibrancy comes once this gets pressed into the substrates.