Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. photography light cubes available on high street?
    By soulclaimed in forum Marketing & Advertising
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-11-2014, 09:27 PM
  2. any polyester items available on the high street if so where?
    By soulclaimed in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM
  3. First T shirt with dark heat transfer = nightmare on elm street
    By Joohlyauk in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-10-2013, 11:16 PM
  4. Inspirational Artwork -Modern street.
    By GoldRapt in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-08-2011, 02:37 PM
  5. Google street view now in 3D
    By Kaz in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm at that point too, sitting where I am or expanding. I'm turning away lots od work because I haven't expanded so it is time to start the ball rolling. Hiring an apprentice and finding a unit with cheap rent.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would doubt that you could run a retail biz AND maintain employment on a farm...... doing 2 things badly instead of 1 thing well .....?
    A thing to REALLY think about if taking on premises is term of the lease and frequency of rent reviews.
    If you sign a 10 year lease, and you don't make the venture work, you are still liable for the 10 years worth of rent unless you can assign the lease or fold a limited liability company .....
    Empty for 2 years, might settle for a token rent, but if you have a rent review it could go to arbitration and will be set as the going equivelent rent for comparables in your area, - it could go up A LOT, - and you cannot bail, - unless you write in exit clauses.
    Finally, small business rates relief, - has been reniewed for a few years in past, but looks luike it ends next march, so rates return april 2016.
    RV could be more or less than the rent you agree .....
    I have traded from retail since 1987, and come from a farming background ....
    with retail you have to be in & open, - not same as working from home when you can fit emails & making in with farm life.
    imho you coudn't do both properly
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Logobear. you are right on all fronts. i wouldnt be in the shop on a daily basis. that would be the employee or the mrs. i do the books and help out behind the seems manage orders, invoices etc, and the vinyl side. it would purely be on the mrs. so the decision is hers. would defo write in exit strategy, rates, rent, service charge, elec etc. £20000/annum.

i am just waiting for someone from council to ring back re rate relief. there is an 18month scheme which would save about £3200 in year 1. but not sure if that means up until april 2016. or if you have to have applied by then.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rate relief is usually april to april or it was when i had my shop until recently. If your business is small and not expected to have a certain turnover then you should qualify. Personally if you have a dairy farm could you not have a seperate building on your premises to set up in? ( very little cost, no rent, no electricity bills, no rates , insurance would be minimal if any and you would be on hand to help on the farm. Be wary of going to big to fast printing etc is mainly seasonal . Will you have enough work to cover you through the quiet periods?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi Jonna. already spoken with council. the only relief will be about £250 for the year. i said to her not even worth bothering to apply for that. main reason for the shop would be its great location and footfall. we do embroidery, print and engraving so keeps us fairly busy all year round.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=calvinabc;107431]hi Jonna. already spoken with council. the only relief will be about £250 for the year. i said to her not even worth bothering to apply for that. main reason for the shop would be its great location and footfall. we do embroidery, print and engraving so keeps us fairly busy all year round.[/QUOTE
    250 pounds is worth claiming for, it could pay for stock and in turn earn my more money, you are crazy not to apply for it, and I mean that in a nice way. Think of how many mugs you could buy with and the profit would easily double that at really cheap price for those mugs.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    For small business relief, you should get the first £6K of the rateable value reduced to zero, and then a sliding scale up to £12.5K ... this only counts if it is your first/only business premises. From what you've said, is the business you're wanting to put into the shop part of the same company as the farm? If so, you would be better off setting it up as it's own seperate company.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if it takes less than 2 and a half days to get the £250 relief it should be worth doing !
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK