Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Digi Coat Spray v Sublicrylic
    By GoonerGary in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-12-2015, 01:50 PM
  2. Cracked it, PU white primer, top coat acrylic
    By tracyreed in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-02-2015, 04:45 PM
  3. Digi-coat on cotton or canvas bags
    By Jen in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-10-2012, 11:20 PM
  4. Digi Coat Spray
    By Paul Richards in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Digi-Coat or...?

As I wish to transfer print onto an un-coated hard surface I know I have to treat it with a product like Digi-coat.

I managed to find a chemical breakdown of Digi.. and it seems to consist mainly of Solvents with lots of Xylene.. (not nice).

As you seem to have to 'bake' the product for some time after spraying it appears to be just opening the pores of the material rather than applying a coating.

As Polyester seems to be the favoured material for Sub. inks I had assumed that it may be spraying a coat of this onto the product.
    I guess not.

I appreciate that many of you will buy your wares already coated ready for the heat press.. but I wondered if there are any 'chemists' out there who have experimented with any other treatments..

Most Fibreglass resins are Polyester and with it's MEKP catalyst should make a very durable potential surface.. but have yet to try..

Perhaps even a Shellac base..

Your thoughts plis..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    What type of surface are you looking to print onto? Is this definitely not already available?

There's a similar threads box above your thread here, most will read the same, trying to get a decent product, proper even coverage in a dust free environment etc. is cost prohibitive in many cases.

If it's on a bigger scale I'd be talking to companies like Listawood who coat their own mugs in the UK for advice.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The material I wish to adhere prints to is HPL (formica). My volumes will be very small. 2-3 pieces per month. I probably have a bigger concern of the inks drying out in the printer.
    I did have a scootch through previous posts and could not find anyone dealing with alternatives to Digi.
    I have seen a YT vid of a guy dipping mugs into a bucket of ? (looks like slip) onto an already glossy mug.
    I have a feeling I am into 'Trade secrets' area here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    For such small quantities I'd outsource, possibly a UV LED machine would do this with no coating. I wish I had one to offer my services but the one I'd like is £26k ;-)

You won't get a decent coating by dipping in a bucket, no real trade secrets I'm afraid.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!