Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Advice about heat press purchase - Coralgraph
    By Domino_Mogwai in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-03-2016, 03:39 PM
  2. Advice for timings st-3042 3d vacuum heat press
    By Reading-Print in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-04-2015, 01:25 AM
  3. Mug Press Advice Needed
    By taz8130 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-04-2015, 09:45 PM
  4. Advice on Heat Press
    By peapod in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2013, 02:10 AM
  5. advice on this heat press combo
    By gavgav in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat press & mug press bundles - advice needed

Hi all, new to this forum and really looking for some advice! I'm after a heat press, mug press and printer - we're a small photographic start up and we cover a lot of events and print photos on site (we use DNP printers and cover equestrian, dog shows and a few big corporate events) - basically I want to look at offering customers a bit more choice so if they don't want a photo they have some alternatives to choose from. So mugs, aluminium prints, coaster sets, that sort of thing. I've looked at a few bundles:

Package from Novachrome which is £677 and includes A4 press, single element mug press, Richoh SG400 and Sawgrass inks. I think their press is made in the UK. http://www.novachrome.co.uk/starter-...ter-kit-3.html

Package from Sublimugs which is £495 and includes A4 press, mug press with three elements, plate press, Richoh SG3110 with Sublimugs ink and some freebies. Assume it's a Chinese press for that price. http://shop.sublimugs.com/sublimugs-...lat-press.html

Or an Adkins Studio Versa press with a couple of mug elements and an SG3110 which works out about £800 from Xpres.

I did consider an A3 package but to be honest I don't think I can justify the cost despite the lower cost per print given we're not sure about how much volume we'll do.

The main thing for us is the print quality which I can't compromise on. Can anyone advise which would be the best option please? We're probably talking about less than 100 mugs a year and around 50-75 A4 aluminium prints I reckon.
    Last edited by Justin; 29-03-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The Novachrome press is Chinese as well. Adkins are assembled in UK but not made in UK, one of the better presses available in this price range though. Studio press are excellent, I run a couple of those. you really will get what you pay for :-)

Personally I wouldn't go near an A4 press unless you're 100% confident you won't want to print anything a little larger. Obviously you'll also be limited by your print size though.

You mention you can't compromise on print quality. The SG400 will give a much wider gamut with the 4 colours than the 3110 but both are based on an 'office' printer which produces acceptable prints for most. What type of prints are your producing? Photo's, vectors etc? 6 Colour Epson 1500W would be the next logical step and it's A3.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Justin - it's for photos only. I'm struggling to justify an A3 setup which will cost over £2k when my core business is really based on photo prints - the only thing I think I'd do would be A3 prints on aluminium and it would take a long time to scrub off the investment. My customer base is largely public and they're quite careful with their cash....having said that I was seriously considering one so probably easily swayed :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    It is a leap to A3 but as you're already thinking of A3 products I'd advise sticking it out to get what you want/need first time rather than be forced to quickly upgrade.

One option, thinking aloud would be to get an A3 press, A4 printer and as and when you need A3 prints contract them out. I'd be glad to help with that, obviously you'd have to factor in postage but it's a possible option until you can afford A3.

If it's mainly photos and your customers are choosy, it has to be at least 6 colour IMO.

There are cheaper ways to get into A3 printing but I wouldn't encourage this at your early stage and would prefer this thread continued to help you in the direction you're looking.

There's an older Adkins (Xpres badged) on eBay right now, £350 or offers. I have this same press, much better than the new ones and this is a steal if condition is good. Factor in shipping and it's still well worth it. I paid £70 to ship mine from London to Aberdeen.

You mention you don't think you can justify the increased outlay....this tells me you have the budget but are having doubts,vtrust me. A3 is the way :-)

Join our premium membership and you'll get some good discounts on blanks, inks etc. Best tenner you'll spend.
    Last edited by Justin; 29-03-2016 at 11:56 PM.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Justin, good advice on this forum! Contracting out printing isn't something I'd considered, that would be a good option for occasional prints, thanks for that. I'll have a look at a second hand press then.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from the equipment you need to be confident in back up service in terms of equipment 'and' help. In that respect I can't recommend BMS http://www.printerowners.co.uk/temperature-details.php highly enough. I have no experience of the others mentioned but my dealings with BMS when I started were everything you could wish for.

As for a press...like has been said a secondhand Adkins or Stahls Maxx is the way to go. Like Justin and his experience in getting his press to Shetland...I drove from Wiltshire to York to collect my press it was such a good deal.......so well worth the effort to keep looking.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Roger! Well I've put an offer in for an Adkins Beta Maxi and that's a drive from Shropshire to Cornwall so it'll be much more fun than waiting in for a courier!

I'm now convinced that A3 is the way

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good luck with the offer, I hope the presss ok....they're very heavy! Even at askng price it's a bargain :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So some great advice so far that's helped me make a decision re the size of press - next thing is what I need to look for when buying second hand - is there anything obvious to check?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've suggested to my partner that we could spend a romantic couple of days in Cornwall. That should work well if it's heavy :-)