Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Beware of ebay and gumtree
    By mrs maggot in forum Wide Format Temp Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-03-2015, 09:23 AM
  2. pay pay email beware
    By jennywren in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 03:25 PM
  3. Beware scam email orders
    By Reg in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-12-2011, 09:46 PM
  4. new telephone scam beware
    By purpledragon in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-08-2011, 12:25 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 and 1 hosting - beware!

Hi All,

I just wanted to warn anyone about using the company
    1&1 https://www.1and1.co.uk for hosting websites or registering domain names.

They are scammers and demand money with menaces, there are many people complaining about 1&1’s tactics on the internet such as the here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3630553

They are trying to charge me £94.70 for the the renewal of domain names that I did not renew.

I had cancelled my whole hosting account with them along with the domain names but because they ‘raised’ the invoice before I had cancelled (note: not renewed the domain names, they simply ‘raised’ the invoice) they claim that I still owe £94.70.

It’s like me raising an invoice for some me to do some landscaping work, then the customer decides that they don’t want me to proceed with the work but I still try to get them to pay in full for the work I have not done and not going to do!!!

I pointed out to 1&1 that:

The fact that the invoice was raised before they received my cancellation request is irrelevant.

When they raise an invoice, it is nothing more than an internal administration process performed by them and it has absolutely nothing to do with any goods or services supplied (or in this case not supplied)

I have read all about your scam and I will not tolerate you demanding money with menaces.

Your automatic renewal of domain name registrations, contravenes Nominet regulations, and is not enforceable in English courts as it is based on German contract law.

Also, 1&1 cant get their story straight.

In one email they said:
    "Please take note that the invoice was raised prior to the cancellation date. It means that the invoice is valid and it needs to be settled."

Then in a later email 1&1 said:
    "The domains were already renewed before you have requested for them to be cancelled that is why an invoice was generated. Additionally, domain names are non-refundable as per our T&C."

Please avoid using 1&1, yes they are cheap but thats not the point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Find this amazing. I've used 1&1 for many many years for my personal domain names and never had any issues whatsoever which is very unusual for me!
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

Earl Smith (07-09-2016)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Find this amazing. I've used 1&1 for many many years for my personal domain names and never had any issues whatsoever which is very unusual for me!
    I was with 1&1 for 14 years - and I found that they were 100% fine to use - but you try to leave and then you see what they are like!

I mean come on, trying to enforce payment of an invoice just because they have RAISED it !

2 years ago a friend of mine warned me about them (as he had experienced EXACTLY what I have recently experienced) and I was just like you, amazed as I had experienced no problem with them over the years - until you cancel and try to leave.

Be warned!

The same story as mine is ALL OVER the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1&1 cancelled my account with them, without me knowing at the time, leaving ALL my domains homeless. I had to contact Nominet and get their help to sort out the mess. They (1&1) of course denied it was their fault and it took me quite a while to get things sorted out.

I would not touch 1&1 with two dozen barge poles!!!!!!

James

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was busy writing a post after seeing this earlier, i then hit delete, i am very much with Justin, i do believe you have to read their small print, and the initial cost of the hosting package is not going to be the price you pay when done, but we started with them, it was fine and didn't have any issues, they just weren't for us. fine for domain but not really an e-commerce platform as your man with a server will probably give you a better deal and better service that you can understand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many hosting services use the same tactic, setting the renewal date 1-3 months before it's due, charging for late payments and making changing hosts as difficult as possible.
    In the 25 years I have been juggling domains I have lost accounts, paid too much and been stung several times.
    Take opencart for example; Bluehost - great hosting all the services you need. Then one day they suspend the account for no reason stating breach of terms. Go-daddy - install opencart to discover no callback to cgi allowed to update currencies, unlimited web hosting, use their own installation of opencart to discover that it just doesn't work. The list goes on.
    From my experience the only problems I have had when leaving the hoster have come from 1&1, One.com and 000webhost.com because of their policy of creating renewal dates well before expiry and in one case sending threatening letters through an Irish law firm for payments already made. This also resulted in the loss of domains registered with them as they make domain transfer difficult if not impossible.
    In all it pays to check hosters by reading reviews, asking others and trial & error.
    The best advice I can offer is register with one company yourself and host with another, no matter how tempting the offer or trustworthy you may feel the service provider is.
    The real secret is to wisdom is to listen to the wise and follow their advice

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for bumping this old thread but to be honest I have never had any troubles in the past years using 1&1 now ionos domain registar. However, they might do something with the hosting packages. They are definitely not a scammers. At least not for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You're responding to old threads, this one is 5 years old.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin For This Useful Post:

clarkis (06-05-2021)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another reason to do some house keeping and delete older threads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or lock threads older than say 12 months ;)