Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Business Rates for Home Based Business?
    By Stitch Up in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-02-2015, 10:28 PM
  2. For Sale Fast Selling Start Up Business with Website
    By thesubman in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  3. Start a T-Shirt Business, need help!
    By tinman2207 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 10:38 AM
  4. typical heat press settings for sublimation items
    By steve dee in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    another tip!
    don't be cheap
    better to sell 5 mugs at £10 than 10 mugs at £5 - by a long way!
    Probably need to sell over 20 mugs at £5 to match the profit from 5 at 10 - and you are working 4+ times harder!
    Here are some figures for the category "personalised mugs" for ebay .

Top seller (in terms of turnover) £969.00 (7days) price per mug £2.40 free postage
    2nd seller (in terms of turnover) £833.00 (7days) price per mug £4.99 buy 3 get 1 free free postage

Its very tough, by the time fees postage and other expenses have been paid + manufacturing costs raw material costs, wastage etc etc its not looking good is it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Here are some figures for the category "personalised mugs" for ebay .

Top seller (in terms of turnover) £969.00 (7days) price per mug £2.40 free postage
    2nd seller (in terms of turnover) £833.00 (7days) price per mug £4.99 buy 3 get 1 free free postage

Its very tough, by the time fees postage and other expenses have been paid + manufacturing costs raw material costs, wastage etc etc its not looking good is it?

Personally I am not thinking of selling on Ebay, I want to sell on my own website. Making website is easy I can set up everything within in couple of weeks. Marketing is the hardest part I think. I am thinking of instagram and FB. idk I see how it goes

Also I have been doing a lot of research about Amazon FBA thinking of doing private label. There is lots of opportunities available. Only if I had £15k of spending I would invest invest

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Considering the cheapest way to post a mug in the UK (without factoring the cost of a smash proof box) is over £2.50 (Royal Mail 2nd class parcel) then I think selling a mug for £2.40 isn't the wisest price point choice. Although the majority of eBay sellers use low prices as a form of marketing hoping to retain customers and loyalty for good service.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell mugs on etsy for £9.95 plus postage and I am doing ok, its been slow over summer but I hope to be busy again this Christmas. good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millkiller View Post
    Personally I am not thinking of selling on Ebay, I want to sell on my own website. Making website is easy I can set up everything within in couple of weeks. Marketing is the hardest part I think. I am thinking of instagram and FB. idk I see how it goes

Also I have been doing a lot of research about Amazon FBA thinking of doing private label. There is lots of opportunities available. Only if I had £15k of spending I would invest invest
    I dont wish to come across as negative with my posts, but for someone new entering sublimation because the "sales" reps tell them how much money they can make I think a more realistic view based on real figures may help redress the balance.

Online marketplaces are saturated with sublimation sellers, the volume marketplaces such as Amazon and ebay are extremely price sensitive. There are 1000's of product listings so how do you get your product seen by potential buyers? Etsy, Folksy etc etc have higher price points but the volumes are much lower. So fixed costs eat away most of the improved margin.

A website, easy to create, but the cost isnt in the site itself (although it can be expensive depending on how its created) the cost is in "the cost of acquisition" a decent website converts approx 4-5% of its traffic. By the time you have factored in the costs in acquiring a paying customer sometimes you may be losing money on your £9.95 mug + £3.95 shipping fee.

Its a very tough marketplace now, gone are the days when you could earn £1000's a week sat in your pyjamas in your spare bedroom. There are sellers who do well, but they are set up to handle numbers, have their specific niches etc etc.

Unless you can bring something unique to the table its gonna be really tough as an online trader. If I offered you a job working 40+ hours a week for £50 would you take the position? For most people entering the sublimation business as an online trader that is sadly the reality, there are exceptions but not many IMO.

That said, opportunities are there, but they are getting much harder to find, and easy to copy so they don't stay niches for very long.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've did my sums yesterday as I'm probably going to upgrade my studio space. I was paying out serious money for an advertising and promotion campaign which I gave almost a year almost to do it's magic. It didn't half eat into the profits! If I had been selling cheaply, I'd have been working for nothing. You are in a business where copyright infringement is rife, your designs are copied within days if it looks popular. How to keep ahead is what you've got to work out.