Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Stock for sale
    By smitch6 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 06:48 AM
  2. Carrying sub stock
    By Dave271069 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 08:55 AM
  3. Stock Photographs
    By Justin in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-03-2012, 08:40 PM
  4. stock photographs
    By Paul in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  5. Stock Take :)
    By Stitch Up in forum Clothing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-05-2011, 05:31 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're out of Stock ....... again!

Who are out of what you may ask!

It doesn't matter, it could quite easily be any one of a whole bunch of distributors, we've all experienced it. Stock's getting a bit low, better order some more and lo and behold they're out of stock..... sometimes they're all out of stock of the same thing just to completely screw us over. (Anyone else tried getting hold of a 45x45 poly cotton canvas cushion covers through July - August?) ..... ok, to save the easily offended, please insert your own expletives at each asterisk of the next sentence ....... * one * supplier * even * ran out of ** Texprint A3 HR %*^ paper for the best * part of a * month! ...... I phoned regularly and was equally regularly palmed off with "It'll be in next week". Needless to say, it more often than not wasn't.

Ok, so ... deep breath ....... I now no longer use 45x45 poly cotton canvas cushion covers. After trying out other options I have found a better product for the same price. The Texprint, they now have again, but I have spoken to another supplier who has agreed a price close enough to make me swap. (I'll pay a bit more happily so long as I'm not let down when I need it).

This industry has some of the sloppiest distributors imaginable. "Sorry, out of stock" .... it's absolute BS. They are letting down their customers who rely upon them. It's unprofessional. If their sources let them down, do what we have to do, waste time changing them and find some that don't. Stock projections, control and levels are not rocket science, it's basic business practice and should not effect your customers. Either order more or order sooner, just never, ever run out and let customers down. At the very least have a current stock level visible so we can see what's left.

Oh the joy of getting a new product line up and running, investing time and money into it, it starts to take off, only to be told by your supplier that the resource you based it upon is out of stock.

They probably don't care, I'm just one small business out of shedloads, I'll probably keep buying my other stuff off them eh? Well, no .... you let us down on one single line of product, you let us down period.

As buyers it's in our hands of course if we want things to improve. If instead of buying a little bit from here there and everywhere, whenever possible, we now sway towards those companies that actually hold enough stock to serve their customer base reliably instead of running out of this, that and the other for rediculously extended periods. It's not always doable, but this year I've made a concerted effort and discovered that it largely is to a degree. It has taken extra work on our part of course but now the vast majority of our purchasing will come from one or two suppliers with two more that I have to use for one specific product from each.

Apologies for whining, really just a reminder to distributers that they can do better, rather than feeling they suceeded because they have a sublimatable peanut in stock that one person happened to ask about, whilst they ran out of staple items such as Mugs and Paper of all things.

Ok, that's it. I'm off to kick the cat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor cat, here kitty kitty

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We hear you Lucifax. Our latest catalogue is about to go to print and 1/4 of it is now out of stock with suppliers and we hold only enough stock for one big job at a time. We've been recently talking directly with some manufacturers hoping that when we get to a certain size it is more economical to ship directly and miss out the middle man.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an example I hold six weeks stock as a minimum, xpres ran out of bags, no problem I'll stock up when they come in. Over 6 weeks I ran out of stock and xpres still didn't have any. This happened on a couple of occasions, so I dropped the bags from my range. I now rarely use xpres as other items I had from them were the same when it came to stocking or not. Shame as their pricing was good, delivery good.

xpres now have enamel mugs, I like the idea, but I still wouldn't stock them as I have no faith in xpres holding them in stock.

So "Yep" I am with you folks.
    Janners

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe people jump on bandwagons....what's the best mug? "xpres" What's the best coaster? "xpres" Then they run out unexpectedly. Or maybe you have big businesses buying up pallets in preparation for the busy gift months.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major problem. as I see it, is that everything (well virtually everything) in the sublimation business is imported from China. The majority of distributors have relatively limited financial resources (in comparison to other established wholesale/import distribution companies in other industries) which makes forward ordering a major headache, they cant ring up a UK based manufacturer and have a couple of pallets delivered in the next few days. Importing is cash intensive and, compared to UK/European sourcing, a slow process

The blank distributors try to stock as wide a range as possible in order to be a one stop supply business, which in turn puts more pressure on their capital and their ability to hold sufficient stock levels. The sublimation industry by its very nature is a product decoration business that benefits from low volume production runs. If high volumes are necessary then a different decoration method is used (silk screen, pad printing etc etc) this means the overall numbers in terms of base products is low compared to products used by the high volume decorators.

The sublimation business is made up of many smaller buyers who may chop and change their supplier (thanks to the internet) because the same item is a penny or two cheaper from another wholesale source. The volume buyers ie multiples arent interested in the level of personalisation that sublimaters provide. Take a personalised mug as an example "Happy Birthday Mum" is as far as they want to go because customised personalisation (happy 45th birthday gladys) has no economies of scale.

The smaller/newer sublimation blank buyers havent got the funds to buy sufficient stock and the more established bigger buyers arent big enough to make a difference. The volumes arent there for sublimation blank suppliers to be able to confidently forward order the quantities which would ensure stock holding through out the year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to froggy For This Useful Post:

Earl Smith (28-10-2016)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lo and behold, Subli Blanks now out of 40 x 40 cushion covers AND money boxes (plus loads of other stuff) as we go into Christmas!

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shove the prices up by a couple of quid and buy British or European made from now on wherever possible. I made a new years resolution to support the smaller distributers, but a year on and it has been so much hassle, I give up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are also out of glossy slates and none of the others seem to be of the same quality. I have some from BMS and Coralgraph and the results are quite poor.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Friday and Cyber Monday also put large strains on suppliers and sellers at the moment as a larger proportion of Christmas shopping is done over a couple of days rather than weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequeen View Post
    They are also out of glossy slates and none of the others seem to be of the same quality. I have some from BMS and Coralgraph and the results are quite poor.
    Have you tried Isub-supplies? I can't vouch for theirs but may be worth a look or a phone call if you haven't already. I was lucky and managed to source similar cushion covers and money boxes there today. More expensive though, but similar items rather than like for like so we'll see if theres a quality difference to suit the price.