Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Using Quotes from TV shows/films/cartoons.. Legal?
    By ilmman in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2015, 03:04 PM
  2. How To Purchase An Official Licence To Sell Music Related Products?
    By mikeoooze in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-04-2015, 10:00 PM
  3. Can I print quotes??
    By spongerobinson in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM
  4. Poster quotes
    By Mattie in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People can still reproduce his graffiti work as he/they deny doing it otherwise he will get prosecuted, or owners rip out walls & sell the artwork.It's copyright free,you just can't do his work with the name banksy on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How do people manage to sell it on eBay without mentioning his name? It's not copyright free! He doesn't need to represent himself in any legal case if he wanted to go after infringements.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the style of Banksy or inspired by banksy,i meant not putting his name on the printed image-not mentioning his name, like Voldermort. I can do artwork & put it on ebay as in the style of banksy nothing wrong with that. He denies all his early work - which it is obviously is his, so it's copyright free.What's representing himself in a legal case got to do with it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are saying that because he is anonymous he is not claiming ownership or copyright, he will avoid chasing someone legally for the same reason. He doesn't need to. He owns his trademark and can be defended by any legal representative so will still remain anonymous. So if you try to sell some graffiti art "inspired by banksy" you are infringing a registered trademark and can get sued.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 22-11-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did i say because he's annon he'll avoid chasing someone? He's trademarked his name & if you sell stuff with his name on it or anyone else then you take that risk. You are wrong & can put inspired by or in the style of no problem, the same reason why you can put iphone,samsung cases for sale, as long as you say they fit the iphone & do not have their logo on,your allowed to put apple or any make of phone in the title aren't you? or say for example car mats,are you not allowed to say they fit bmw,audi etc? yes you are,as long as you aren't saying they are geuniune bmw,mini etc or no logo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any manufacturer can clamp down on third party manufacturers using their trademark. You also have to carefully chose your words, so you cannot use "recommended for BMW xx car" For example, if you are an independent garage repairing VWs, you cannot use their name or logos on any signage. A product title is no different from a shop sign. Where have you seen that "inspired by" is ok? Anytime I've seen it, it's a stolen cartoon of Heisenberg on a mug trying to sell "inspired by" Breaking Bad ie: counterfeit.

You said, "People can still reproduce his graffiti work as he/they deny doing it otherwise he will get prosecuted, or owners rip out walls & sell the artwork.It's copyright free,you just can't do his work with the name banksy on."

Yes you can sell the artwork attached to a brick wall because it's on your legal property, but you can't photograph that artwork and resell it as posters. The moment he painted it, it's Banksy's copyright forever. Just like every word I've written above; sell it on a mug and you've infringed my copyright.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Any manufacturer can clamp down on third party manufacturers using their trademark. You also have to carefully chose your words, so you cannot use "recommended for BMW xx car" For example, if you are an independent garage repairing VWs, you cannot use their name or logos on any signage. A product title is no different from a shop sign. Where have you seen that "inspired by" is ok? Anytime I've seen it, it's a stolen cartoon of Heisenberg on a mug trying to sell "inspired by" Breaking Bad ie: counterfeit.

You said, "People can still reproduce his graffiti work as he/they deny doing it otherwise he will get prosecuted, or owners rip out walls & sell the artwork.It's copyright free,you just can't do his work with the name banksy on."

Yes you can sell the artwork attached to a brick wall because it's on your legal property, but you can't photograph that artwork and resell it as posters. The moment he painted it, it's Banksy's copyright forever. Just like every word I've written above; sell it on a mug and you've infringed my copyright.
    What if I take part of what you have written down and put it on a mug. Such as
    " I've written above"
    I am sure those 3 words have been written down in that combination many times before by many people. How can you prove they are yours?

I know this is not quite lyrics and I am just being devils advocate as I think if there is any question regarding copyright and trademarks I stay away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From my limited understanding its the connection as well as the words/lyrics

For example if I sell an egg cup in my home town in plain packaging with the words "I am the egg man" on it then I probably would not have to pay any fees. However Abbey Road Studios (where the Beatles recorded the song) who have that egg cup packaged in Beatles branded packaging and with the Abbey Road logo on the bottom do have to pay fees.

Its not just words, it is also the way you are selling them

FOR SALE: EGG CUP WITH WORDS ON IT

is very different to

FOR SALE: EGG CUP WITH BEATLES LYRICS ON IT
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    FOR SALE: EGG CUP WITH WORDS ON IT

But list list on eBay in the Beatles section just as you have typed it are you then not using the words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But, by effectively placing it in a Beatles shop (or with Ebay a section) you are referencing them.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...