Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Advice on Lotto logo
    By Chunk in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 10:23 AM
  2. Ricoh Printer Problem - any advice before i throw it out the window?
    By Judebill in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-06-2014, 04:09 PM
  3. Advice on best print method for this logo
    By Justin in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19-04-2014, 10:19 PM
  4. where to place breast logo?
    By Dave271069 in forum Clothing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-09-2013, 10:15 AM
  5. How's best do put this on a polo breast logo?
    By Dave271069 in forum Clothing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-10-2012, 07:01 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Left Breast Logo Problem - Any Advice Apprciated

Good morning all from a very grey Wales!

I would appreciate some help/advice with a problem confronting me.

I'be been asked to embroider some fleece jackets with embroidered text only on the left breast. The customer has requested 3 lines of text, the first line being:

Ashford and St. Peter's Hospitals

This is the longest of the 3 lines of text and if I choose to use Wilcom Block 2 font at 5mm height the embroidered line would be over 12cms long! This seems too long and might not work on the smaller jacket sizes.

How would you deal with this?
    Would you use a different font, if so which one?
    Any other advice?

Looking forward to any tips :)

Thanks

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stitch Up; 02-02-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I personally stick to a maximum of 10cm and if there is a situation where it is longer then I consider a few options. Please note that I do not do embroidery anymore so the suggestions might not be suitable.

Firstly, try using a different font, a condensed font perhaps
    If not, then simply squeezing the horizontal might work as the reduction is not a huge amount

I presume both of the above might involve more than using built in fonts and may require a set up which will probably dig you in deeper financially. So other options are to either advise the client of the situation and recommend the name is done on two lines with a slightly larger space between the name and the blue text (my personal preference). Or go to the width of 12 cm and show the client the issue. You could do this by stitching on some felt and positioning on the garment and taking a picture.

As its only three garments it is a bit of a pain, however I have picked many clients by digging them out of a hole with a small job and to have them return with much bigger orders later.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I too try and stick to a maximum of 10cms, over 12 is just pushing it to much in my opinion.

I am experimenting with different fonts and maybe using a different font for the widest line.

Fortunately there will be far more than 3 garments :)

John
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    Ive Used Block 2Auto for the bottom one and Arial Rounded for the top. Both have the collumn width reduced by 10% or -10. Find that tool under the Pull compensation tab.
    Height is 8mm. 11 and 10 cm long. I dont see a problem. Also narrow the understitch (zigzag) down so it doesnt show when stitching or use center line.
    Hope this helps.

Edit. Also you can increase the density down to 32 and use the 60 thread if nessesary. This is useful if its really fine work but I wouldnt for this text as normal density is ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Earl Smith; 02-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to four lines, centering the word 'Hospital' underneath the name. Or replace 'and with an ampersand.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pw66 View Post
    Go to four lines, centering the word 'Hospital' underneath the name. Or replace 'and with an ampersand.
    I don't embroider but I'd go with the ampersand idea and think it might look better by reducing the size of the ampersand to about 70 to 80% of the main text.

When making text to fit in Photoshop, I either squeeze it horizontally or alter the kerning between the characters, or both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others here but as the customer requested only 3 lines of text they must be using some corperate logo. If you can the change it as it will look much better with four lines.
    Im used to doing small text here as what youve written is often just one word in German.
    It is also on Fleece which would be better with four lines as the embroidery will get covered by the fleece when the text is too small.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Earl. Going up to 4 lines, unless the customer specifically needs 3 lines, will allow you to increase the text size of the 'headline' name and keep within 10cm width.

Using an ampersand will still restrict you to small text, but is an option if you are limited to 3 lines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would not go to 4 as logo is 3, i would either do it at the 12, or change text slightly, and move the st. peters, by losing the gap between st. and peters= st.peters. still looks fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Plenty to chew on and I'll let you know how it turns out.