Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Silicone mug wraps for latte mugs really expensive!
    By brightday83 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-11-2016, 07:32 PM
  2. Equipment, are the expensive kits worth the extra money?
    By Bob @ Prestige in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-11-2014, 09:32 PM
  3. quickest way from leicester to devon??
    By soulclaimed in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14-05-2013, 11:53 PM
  4. Advice on bulk orders
    By dj_doubler in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 25-05-2011, 03:28 PM
  5. When does a blank placemat become too expensive?
    By bms in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 26-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I just use mug presses, three on the go give me on average one mug every minute.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyprian.costelloe View Post
    Personally I just use mug presses, three on the go give me on average one mug every minute.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Yes, but mug presses aren't great for designs that go all the way up to the handles, and edges

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brightday83 For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (08-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, did we find a good oven for £1500/£2000 which can produce good amounts of mugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use halogen ovens from B&M Bargains for £30 each but they are pretty much bog standard models that you can find anywhere for that sort of price.

I love them and get much better print than when I used a mug press. Top to bottom is much easier to do as there is no pre-heating to do and using wraps you can get the design much closer to the handle without worrying about fading.

It can take a while to press one mug - I use 18 minutes for a mug - but timing get much better when you do more mugs. I can get 6 in at a time and the timing on that is 28 minutes. for 4 at a time the time is 23 minutes.

At £30 a time I have bought 3 so when I do bulk orders I can do up to 36 mugs an hour. Just make sure you have enough wraps to operate smoothly.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Customprintwales For This Useful Post:

brightday83 (10-02-2017), webtrekker (08-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the brown silicon wraps because I find the fastenings much more reliable.

The green ones have a single tension latch and if they get slightly dented that have a habit of springing of during the baking. The brown wraps have hook and eye fastenings and have a much more secure fixing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Customprintwales For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (08-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a standard halogen oven you can find in most shops.
    I used to use the domestic oven until the other half started to tap her foot and give me a mean look because the Sunday roast was sitting on the counter not in the oven :)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Customprintwales For This Useful Post:

webtrekker (08-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Customprintwales View Post
    I used a standard halogen oven you can find in most shops.
    I used to use the domestic oven until the other half started to tap her foot and give me a mean look because the Sunday roast was sitting on the counter not in the oven :)
    Hi, thanks for that. I deleted my post when I realised you had already mentioned B&M ovens in your previous post.

We have a local B&M and I was looking at their Tower ovens the other day. For the price, I may give it a whirl. At the very worst, I can still use the oven for pre-heating mugs for my mug presses.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to webtrekker For This Useful Post:

RobertB1 (16-01-2018)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a daft question on the subject of ovens. Why does nobody suggest using a kitchen oven? Surely you would get many more in one of those.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We did - bought a full sized kitchen oven from Argos, fan assisted, top and bottom heat elements, could get 24 mugs in at a time.
    Problem was to get consistent heat in the whole oven, the fan was needed, but the fan would blow around any gassed ink that had escaped off the transfers, and so any exposed areas of the mugs got a browny tinge on them.
    Other problem was our mugs aren't a standard size, and the silicone wraps available were too big, so we had problems with not having enough pressure around the whole mug.
    We ended up with tape around the whole transfer so no ink gas could escape, so went through so much heat tape which wasn't cheap, the increased labour time/cost to wrap the mugs in this way was also therefore expensive.
    We wasted a few hundred mugs trying to perfect this, and had to give up in the end, and move back to presses unfortunately.
    We cleaned the oven down, and it's now in our kitchen doing a fantastic job of cooking food, replacing the gas oven we had which was terrible at cooking and was condemed by the gas board for being too leaky!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pisquee For This Useful Post:

brightday83 (10-02-2017), Earl Smith (08-02-2017), Maidiniceland (19-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now I know why a normal oven wont do the job. Thanks.