Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-08-2015, 03:25 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sublimation Help

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

We're having trouble sublimating T-Shirts, Coasters, Key rings, Etc. But with the mugs come out absolutely fine, no problems at all.

Am I doing something wrong during the process? Or is there different printing papers/inks that only work well on certain things, but on others?

Please Help

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You don't say what problems you are having with the flat pressed stuff. Could be uneven heating of the platen or too much/too little pressure set.

Might be worth buying a digital thermometer from ebay to check the temperature spread on your press. They're fairly cheap to buy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have said, my bad. With the t-shirts, they come out ok-ish, but they don't come out clear. and the coasters don't really show up at all. I thought that there was different inks/papers that do different things for different jobs, but i will invest in a infrared thermometer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ok. I'm really not sure what the problem is exactly, but a thermometer wouldn't be a wasted investment. They provide peace of mind when you have a problem that's difficult to track down and they cost coppers in relation to other equipment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What inks, printer and press are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a Ricoh SG3110DN, the inks are what came with the printer as we brought a starter kit with them, and the press is a UK Press HP3801.

I've tried to whittle down what the problem may be. The printer is fine as the mugs, key rings, coasters all come out clear and fine, but are the inks the wrong ones for clothing? I brought a laser thermometer, and the press read nearly 10° higher than what was said on the set temperature. Is this a reason why? I asked as well about is the transfer paper we're using the wrong kind for clothes,which it was. Is there any place I can get the correct transfer paper, but at a lower cost?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laberge86 View Post
    I'm using a Ricoh SG3110DN, the inks are what came with the printer as we brought a starter kit with them, and the press is a UK Press HP3801.

I've tried to whittle down what the problem may be. The printer is fine as the mugs, key rings, coasters all come out clear and fine, but are the inks the wrong ones for clothing? I brought a laser thermometer, and the press read nearly 10° higher than what was said on the set temperature. Is this a reason why? I asked as well about is the transfer paper we're using the wrong kind for clothes,which it was. Is there any place I can get the correct transfer paper, but at a lower cost?
    I assume that the laser thermometer is an infra-red thermometer - these are not quite the godsend that a lot of people think that they are...

They are ideal for comparing two temperatures, for example when balancing a central heating system, where the actual temperatures are not that important, but there are issues with them that most people don't appreciate.

Their inherent accuracy varies from unit to unit - cheap ones are not precision instruments.

They are calibrated using a neutral grey target - any other coloured target will give an even more inaccurate reading. Checking the temperature of a shiny silver kettle for an extreme example will give a wildly erroneous reading.

If you use such a thermometer at a range of a couple of inches from the platen of a heatpress - as I've seen people recommend before now - it will lead to the front of the thermometer and the focussing lense getting warm, leading to more issues...

So, if you want accurate temprature readings the best way to get them is with an electronic contact thermometer, unless you're willing to go to a lot of trouble and expense!
    Last edited by willd; 21-02-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the T Shirts polyester, and have you taken the protective film of the coasters?