Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Cheep Chinese Heat Press Vs Quality Branded Heat press
    By Ravisteam in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
  2. Do You Keep A Mug In The Press When Heating Up?
    By DJW in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-04-2016, 11:42 AM
  3. Heat press & mug press bundles - advice needed
    By Kubicixfactor in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
  4. Heating Blanket change for Coralgraph mug press
    By DANNYD in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-02-2015, 06:26 PM
  5. Heating press Element required ADKINS
    By cardman in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat press not heating up

Hi Guys

I have an heat press that does not heat up at all.

There is power, the countdown works and the buzzer sounds - but the temp control does nothing.
    I have checked all connections, taken out the transformer and put 9volts thru it and the light comes on and all contacts tested, only with a bulb though.

attached are 2 images, one is my controller (wired up)and the replacement showing connections, the other is the front of both - allegedly the same but as you can see there is a marked difference in the connectors - question, can the second connector be used, if so how do I wire it up given my cables !

my controller, apparently is no longer made !!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated guys !

Decca
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by decca591; 17-02-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the exact model numbers of the two controllers?

There are differences between similar models that could mean that they are not a suitable replacement.

I assume that the new controller came with instructions - or at least a key to the terminals?

I have a connection diagram for the new controller that you have, but if it's not compatible with the old one it won't work...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to willd For This Useful Post:

decca591 (18-02-2017)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is there 240V metering across the output of the controller?
    What is the resistance of the element itself?

In our experience the main thing that goes on presses is the heating element iself, not the controllers

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What pinout diagrams do you have for the two control modules?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pisquee View Post
    What pinout diagrams do you have for the two control modules?
    If that question was for me, then I have a diagram for the new controller, but since identical looking controllers operate in different ways depending on the model numbers, it's not helpful to offer advice which may lead to damage to the press or the new controller.

That's why I asked for specific model numbers for both timers, so that I was sure that what I was offering was correct.

If the first photograph was as good as the second, there wouldn't be an issue...

If the question wasn't for me, then nevermind ;-).

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pisquee's question is quite relevant, he is asking for information not offering advice at this stage.. You have 3 sets of connections on the old controller but we cannot see the source for the 2 pairs on the left. I assume the pair on the right is for the heater temp sensor but may be wrong. If you post the pinout of the new controller we should be able to sort out how to connect.

Assuming the controller is just switching 240v then you could connect the heater directly to the mains and see if it heats up. Obviously there will not be any temperature control but at least you can feel if it gets hot.

Do you have a meter ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wayupnorth View Post
    pisquee's question is quite relevant, he is asking for information not offering advice at this stage.. You have 3 sets of connections on the old controller but we cannot see the source for the 2 pairs on the left. I assume the pair on the right is for the heater temp sensor but may be wrong. If you post the pinout of the new controller we should be able to sort out how to connect.

Assuming the controller is just switching 240v then you could connect the heater directly to the mains and see if it heats up. Obviously there will not be any temperature control but at least you can feel if it gets hot.

Do you have a meter ?
    I'm not the op.

I can tell you that on the original controller the two connections on the lower left are the power supply, the two on the upper left are the switched output, and the two on the upper right are the input for the temperature probe.

The issue is that the temperature input could be one of several types, though likely one of two - if these are not the same on the two controllers then there will likely be damage at worst, non function at best.

I know the pinouts for the new controller too, but I wished to check that the two controllers are compatible before offering the information.

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood, perhaps the op will be back in touch !

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys
    Appreciate the input !

will see if there is anything to id the controllers and post details or images shortly, nothing on fron or rear but there is on the side a label, although it is scratched on the old controller, WillD is correct on the connections, I'll post a better pic to show the colours of the cables, see if that helps, I know the first image is blurred, I'll do a better one, but there is no useful info on the front ;-(

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New images

Apologies for the delay guys !

Pic 1 shows the current connectors and colours
    Pic 2 shows current controller and the new one - the number across the top I believe is a licence number ?
    Pic 3 is a label across the side of my current controller, not brilliant as it is scratched !
    Pic 4 is the new controller - a lot clearer, if you understand it - obviously more connections which is my problem.

Now I'm an old fashioned engineer, and am tempted to send 240 of the finest volts thru the heating element to at least discount that as being the problem, the reason I doubt it is that neither the transformer (SSR) light comes on, nor does the controller, I am making the assumption that at least one of these might show signs of life if any current was getting as far as the platen !

any comments from your good selves always appreciated !!!

Decca
    Attached Images Attached Images