Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Adkins Studio Mug Press - Which Element Size?
    By UK Printed Mugs in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-07-2016, 12:20 PM
  2. Heating element on mugs.
    By meldean in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM
  3. Sold heat element for skinny mugs widsor/porcelain
    By Paul in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-04-2012, 11:26 PM
  4. Heating press Element required ADKINS
    By cardman in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-01-2012, 09:20 PM
  5. Heating Element Marks on Mugs
    By cleoni in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 12:50 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adkins: How many mugs do you get out of an element?

Hey, I'm interested to see how many mugs people are getting out of their elements? The company that sold me my press had advised around 300+ but I've read on this forum some people mentioning 1000s.

Having gone through a few elements in the past without noting how many mugs they produced, I've started keeping a tally to record. Currently sitting at 570 presses with the current element since December (On an Adkins solo press at 190oC for 150secs) but since the 540th mug its started to randomly (not every single mug but the majority) leave a very faded section at the very, very edge on one side near the handle. Its feels as if the end of the press isn't getting the same heat it did for the first 500+.

I guess I have a couple of questions:

Is fading like that at the edge after so many mugs a sign that the element is gone, or is it more likely the pressure/ heat is the issue. I tried increasing pressure as a test and got another 10 good mugs but its started to produce the fade again already, all mugs printed this morning are rubbish. I don't think I can increase the pressure any further and actually get the mug into the press now. (Pressure is still high, ie the press closure is almost toughing the handle now, wish there was a more accurate way to set the pressure.)

Second question, as time goes do you need to increase/ decrease pressure?

Just wanted to get people's thoughts before I swap out the element for a new one.

Thanks for you help.

Allistair

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had over a 1000 out of my last adkins blanket, I did post here somewhere how many it was.
    I think pressure is a factor in killing blankets. The pressure only needs to be enough to press the paper against the mug to stop blow out. Hence my pressure is relatively light. The more pressure the more the heating elements flex, the more they flex the more they weaken and the quicker they break......I think!

No scientific research carried out by my there so it could be complete rubbish!

Janners

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JMugs For This Useful Post:

Alburt (28-02-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Janners, 1000+ from an element sounds great value for money

Your theory on what affects the extent of a blanket's life sounds good to me. Wish there was a more scientific method for applying the correct pressure other than a purely by eye judgement.

As a test I've just tried lowering the pressure to below where I would normally have set it and I tested on an old mug. First time print was perfect. Tried again and again, and again and sadly every other attempt since has had a slight fade on the left edge. A mystery. Think I might need to bite the bullet and ditch the element.

Good to know it is possible to get over 1000 though. A target to aim for with this new element.

Allistair