Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Hello Guys typical 21 year old wants to start a business
    By millkiller in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29-09-2016, 12:13 PM
  2. Business Rates for Home Based Business?
    By Stitch Up in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-02-2015, 11:28 PM
  3. For Sale Fast Selling Start Up Business with Website
    By thesubman in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 03:11 PM
  4. Start a T-Shirt Business, need help!
    By tinman2207 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living and working in Germany is great. I have no idea how business here compares to the Uk because I havent lived there for a long time.
    The people here are totally opposite to what we believe them to be. Very serious and hard working but also very open and funny. Lovely people.
    Sadly Im now too old to expand ( business...the rest of me is doing it with out my help...:-)) . But if I was younger there is potential to grow. But I think that would be the same in the UK.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it is larger scale than most but still small compared to others. Other sublimation items printed as well across about 15 staff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started 4 years ago in a spare bedroom 7ft x 9ft with a 10 year old 4ft Summa cutter, weeded in the lounge on a folding table, which I stored behind the sofa. Packing and despatch in the Kitchen. Didnt have enough storage space to buy more than 100 postage tubes at a time. I only started because I got "let go" from university. I didnt have much to lose, because I didnt have much! Just got stuck in and went from there

Moved 3 times in the last 4 years, now in a 5,000 sq ft studio with 12 staff etc etc. Didnt have any debt until I had saved enough money to cover any debt I took on in full. 18 months ago purchased my first wide format print and cut machine, was a massive investment, but my 3 cutters could pay for it even if it didnt produce a bean...so 3 wide formats printers later and some other bits and bobs its been hard work but loads of fun.

Getting "let go" was a blessing although I didnt see it that way at the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for your replies, it's really interesting to see how people's businesses progress.

@mugshots - I can totally understand the doubts when taking the plunge compared to having a steady job. You have to weigh up so many factors it can be daunting. Do you feel that you have enough options to expand your business or diversify to continue your success?

@Earl Smith - You are never told old to do anything, it's sometimes the moment you stop that your body catches up with you. Maybe take a more managerial role or is that position occupied by the other half already? Lol.

@Andrew - it sounds like you are very successful and I hope it continues. What would you put your success down to? (Please don't feel like you need to give an exact answer)

@Froggy - I am exactly where you started out now. My wife is annoyed that the bedroom has been taken over with my stuff. In what seems like a short space of time you have done very well, you should be proud of yourself. Out of interest, What was the Uni course? (You don't have to say it). What would you put your success to? Again you don't have to say it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Earl Smith - You are never told old to do anything, it's sometimes the moment you stop that your body catches up with you. Maybe take a more managerial role or is that position occupied by the other half already? Lol.

Not stopping. Just keeping everything managable and costs under control. Business is working so Im going by the saying " If its not broken then dont try and fix it". The financial risks are too high to try and expand, especially in embroidery. A new machine will cost 14,000€ , then you need to find an operator for it.
    Im happy where I am so Im leaving everything as is. But if something drops in my lap tomorrow I will go for it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Thanks again for your replies, it's really interesting to see how people's businesses progress.

@Froggy - I am exactly where you started out now. My wife is annoyed that the bedroom has been taken over with my stuff. In what seems like a short space of time you have done very well, you should be proud of yourself. Out of interest, What was the Uni course? (You don't have to say it). What would you put your success to? Again you don't have to say it.
    It was a media studies degree.
    I dont think success is the correct term, just my failures didnt cost me too much money. I kept a very close eye on sales, costs and cash flow (and still do). I took on staff very early on, which meant I could push for more sales and other things I needed to do to try and make my business grow. I concentrated on 1 type of product with 1 production method and set myself a sales and nett margin target before I thought about adding any more production methods.

In year 3 I had more staff than I needed, but knew that I had to sacrifice my bottom line to take the business to a higher level and fortunately my sales grew to accommodate my staffing levels over a 6 month period, and I had the people to cope with that.

Another thing I did which has helped me immensely is, I studied my sales and those of my competitors and let the numbers and the market trends tell me what I should do, that coupled with the other stuff has meant I have been fortunate enough to grow from a micro business to a solid small business.

Finally, dont get complacent, every day your competitors are trying to take it all away from you.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to froggy For This Useful Post:

Maidiniceland (24-03-2017)

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting stuff ..Froggy I've learnt some lessons from ur story ..thanks for sharing ..