Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Hello Guys typical 21 year old wants to start a business
    By millkiller in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29-09-2016, 11:13 AM
  2. Business Rates for Home Based Business?
    By Stitch Up in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-02-2015, 10:28 PM
  3. For Sale Fast Selling Start Up Business with Website
    By thesubman in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  4. Start a T-Shirt Business, need help!
    By tinman2207 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 30-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you first start your business?

Hi,

I'm a newbie starting off in the world of sublimation. I have loads of ideas but am always torn on which way to go with it.

I am wondering If anyone would like to share how they got into this and what equipment they began with. It would be interesting to see photos of first items compared to what you currently produce.

Ive been reading Alan Sugar's autobiography and its interesting to hear about how he got into business and what he went through. It might not be what everyone would like to do but for newbies like myself it would be good to hear some success stories and maybe what people went through to get where they are today.

There is no need to share 'company secrets' but any information would be great.

I suppose I should start: Working full time as a teacher means I am unable to put a lot of time into this, that is why I see this as a hobby more than a business. I started producing items for my school that they could use which saved them money but I was asked to make a few mugs which people liked. It would be nice to expand this however I currently don't have the skill, time or money to do this yet but it would be something I would like to do.

Thanks

Coops

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the easiest entry is selling what you know, to people that you know.
    Your school ecosystem should provide many opportunities PROVIDED school rules/ethics permit it.
    If you have a niche hobby or interest, work into that area.
    It is no use me suggesting you market to dog people, if you are a cat lover!
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not after ideas on what to sell, I just thought it would be interesting to see how others started out. Was you already working in a company that produced these items and then decided to do it yourself or like me you have tried it as a hobby and then expanded? As i previously mentioned I don't want you to share your ideas or blueprint to your business, just your reasons for starting and maybe how you progressed?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We simply started out from me wanting a simple vinyl decal for the back of our caravan.

No one wanted to even know about it so I researched how it is done and came across the Sillhouette Cameo (2). Had fun playing around with it and got into doing a whole bunch of shirts for my daughters eisteddfod team parents. We simply then thought what else can we do? As there obviously was a market for it.

Within a day or so of putting a couple of things onto our Facebook page, a local motorhome rental company contacted us seeing if we could do decals for their vans. Didn't think we would be able to but still went and had a look and sure enough we now get orders for about 10 vans a month to do!!!

on some of the forums I was researching on (and from the YouTube videos from a U.K. Guy) I saw that dye sub was a complimenting branch so delved into that. As we are still getting ourselves bedded in we are mainly concentrating on personalized items to cater for the weird and wonderful names kids have these days.

In Australia we are really limited to the blanks we can get, but have found some excellent items that sports clubs like and seem to be getting in on a few startups with things like name badges and promotional items. Hopefully from there we will be able to grow with them.

So from a simple want for a decal we have gone from nothing to our latest order of 100 shirts (HTV) front and back, 20 sports bottles, 200 stickers and a couple of other things. All in the meanwhile nearly covering our startup costs for all of our equipment including a BN20 within just over 12 months. Mind you I still haven't actually done what I wanted for our van!!!

Sorry this his was long and seems like bragging but am proud that we have found something we enjoy doing and seem to be in something people want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just getting bored on my 4 days away from work (4 on 4 off rota) as theres only so many times you can repaint the house. I cant actually remember what made me start off with doing mugs. But now, 18 months down the line we are a tax paying business doing bloomin all sorts running out of a purpose built extension. Pics available on request

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mugshots For This Useful Post:

Quinsfan (16-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong place at wrong time and I suddenly ended up printing mugs for a living. It was more of a necessity rather than planned route to follow after taking a loss on previous business venture. Nearly 10 years later and probably around 2 million mugs done, I hate the sight of mugs more than ever. Still waiting for the lottery to save me from my pain.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

Quinsfan (16-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of necessity for me as well. I was selling clothing in england but then I met a german girl and came to Germany. But as I didnt speak the language I couldnt get a job. So I started small, with a (new) friend, selling t-shirts with horse transfers on them at show jumping events around my area. Then I saw someone with an embroidery machine at one of the shows and decided to give it a go. At the same time a very small shop unit came available near me and I went into that. That was in 2008, the year of the banking crisis. Two years ago I moved to a bigger unit withing a copyshop/computer/printer shop.
    No real planning done, just going with the flow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow these are all great. It's really interesting to read about the different ways and reasons that you got into this business.

@bmhdh1976 - I never new what Eisteddfod was until I googled it, you learn something new everyday. It's good to see the progression you have made and the extra business that you have got. Is Facebook the only form of advertising that you do?

@mugshots - it sounds like your business is doing very well. Do you still currently work or have you given it up now to concentrate on this? Pictures would be great, especially of when you started and now to compare the progression.

@Andrew - I'm still waiting too, wheb you know the upcoming winning numbers then please PM me lol. That's a lot of mugs over a relatively short period of time. Do you run a large scale business to cope with these numbers? Do you sell more than just mugs?

@Earl Smith, it's strange how fate (if you believe that) changes the paths you take in life and can lead you to places where you wouldn't have thought of going. Are you still enjoying it? It's good to hear of you expanding, what is the market in Germany like compared with the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to share these stories, I'm sure others will find this interesting as well as give confidence to those starting out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Coops. No Im still working 4 on 4 off. Its making that leap of faith thats the scary part. No pics of when first started as was in my dining room. I posted a thread not so long back called Go on show us your work spaces. Pics in there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. Its here http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum...your-workspace!

Only thing thats really changes is we have now got a Freesub double mug press.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mugshots For This Useful Post:

Maidiniceland (24-03-2017)