Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-04-2015, 01:57 PM
  2. Is Direct to Garment printing getting rid of transfer printing?
    By Pascale in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cap printing

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cap printing

Last year I went against all my own advice and bought a cheap (£90) cap printing machine from China. At the time I thought I'd only be doing a few items so if it only lasted a year it would have paid its way.

However no matter what I do and whichever style of cap I'm using, I always get an unsightly crease down the centre.

I contacted the makers but they kept stalling, asking first for a detailed description of the problem, then photos, then a video etc until I just gave up.

I suspect the curved platen is inadequate or the wrong size/shape for all the caps we get in Europe.

Has anyone else experienced this and solved the problem, or failing that, can anyone recommend a decent cap printer without my having to fork out a fortune?

And finally, does anyone want to buy a cap printer, hardly used, one careful lady owner ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. I fold an old t-shirt onto the platten ( nice and thick) so its fatter in the middle and raises the middle up a bit. Its a pain but it works.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I use something similar but like you say, it's a pain. And in my case, not always successful. However I did a cap yesterday with a crease that I thought would be rejected by the customer but they loved it and said they wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out! I must try to curb my OCD ��
    I wonder whether you can get generic replacement platens of different sizes or shapes? I saw a good quality cap press demonstrated where they had several choices depending on the cap design.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if you could get a cap press that had the same flexibility as a mug press.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive never seen "generic" plattens but Ive never really looked. I dont print caps now, I embroidery them.
    Maybe you are using a cheap cap. If you are then try a better and more expensive one. Its only a few bob more but might be worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with cheap ones but got a really good quality style yesterday. It was a slight improvement but not perfect. However the cap was so nice the customer was over the moon so I got away with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use clamps to keep the cap tight. When you put the cap on it spring loaded at the back to fit the cap on, Not a good description but thats where I pull the cap tighter. Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've recently produced some Beechfield caps for a client - they were a nightmare from start to finish - undoubtedly there's a knack to pressing these.

The first problem is that the heat tape barely adheres to the cap, so the print moves if you take your eyes off it, then there were the creases - towards to crown if pressure too low, towards the peak if too high.

Turned into a two "man" job with a few scrappers on the way, we are hoping not to press any more of that particular model...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willd View Post
    We've recently produced some Beechfield caps for a client - they were a nightmare from start to finish - undoubtedly there's a knack to pressing these.

The first problem is that the heat tape barely adheres to the cap, so the print moves if you take your eyes off it, then there were the creases - towards to crown if pressure too low, towards the peak if too high.

Turned into a two "man" job with a few scrappers on the way, we are hoping not to press any more of that particular model...
    And that is why I only Embroider caps. But even then you can get a cap with a really hard rib up the middle and it will break the theads every time. My favourite is the Beachfield B65.
    Avoid at your peril the B665. The middle seam is so hard it breaks the needle and definatly will not print.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl Smith For This Useful Post:

Jason (18-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Smith View Post
    And that is why I only Embroider caps. But even then you can get a cap with a really hard rib up the middle and it will break the theads every time. My favourite is the Beachfield B65.
    Avoid at your peril the B665. The middle seam is so hard it breaks the needle and definatly will not print.
    We've steered clear of embroidery - we've enough other processes to keep us out of mischief and in trouble!

The Beechfield caps that we struggled with were B645, they have a rather odd spongy/padded polyester front panel which I have to say I'm no fan of.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to willd For This Useful Post:

Earl Smith (16-03-2017)