Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. print or vinyl
    By Quinsfan in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-11-2015, 03:09 PM
  2. Need some logos - print and cut or vinyl
    By liannef in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 06:50 PM
  3. Tiger print vinyl
    By Redmapj in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-08-2015, 12:39 AM
  4. Looking for Someone to do Print & Cut vinyl for me
    By tlworkwear in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-08-2013, 05:45 PM
  5. print and cut vinyl for tops
    By ADP in forum Transfers & Transfer Papers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-09-2012, 12:26 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DTG Vs Print on Vinyl

So we just got an order in to do the merchandise for an independent wrestling promotion's upcoming tour of Ireland. We have a bit of an in via a merhcandise shop that we've done done stuff for and luckily we were able to get across the line. Absolutely delighted.

Now the designs they want are just not going to be possible with our existing setup which is sub for white and vinyl for dark - so we need to get into either DTG or printing onto then pressing vinyl.

Can anyone that has had to make this decision before - weigh in and let us know which components made you go the way you did - I assume a lot of you guys have been here before.

I know either option is going to be a substantial outlay but I don't have an issue loaning the business the money to get this equipment asap.

Ideally I'm looking for an idea of initial outlay - ink cost - ease of use - training requirements - software used - maintenance involved.
    Last edited by IrishPrint; 22-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design plays a part as some are not weeding friendly for vinyl. On the cost front for you could sub it out. DTG is probably twice the outlay than say a vinyl print solution like a Roland BN20 and heatpress. Both would take a bit of mastering though if bought new some installation and guidance would be provided. Vinyl is more labour intensive I'd say though I don't have a DTG set up myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just come back from an in house trade fair where Forever are displaying their products. I am amazed at how they have progressed and might be worth you looking at for this job. I took some photos which , if you want, I can try and upload tomorrow when I'm back at work. The images and prints I saw were printed with very fine dots, just like a newspaper print.
    You will need the Oki white and an ability to rasterize the image. Forever have a rasterizing program for their printer driver but it costs around 400€.
    Or they have a one colour foil which you print the image in black and press their "glue" paper onto this and then press this onto the shirt. For this you only need a B&W laser printer. You can print muti colours by layering the prints, just like vinyl.
    Maybe this is the solution you are looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just come back from an in house trade fair where Forever are displaying their products. I am amazed at how they have progressed and might be worth you looking at for this job. I took some photos which , if you want, I can try and upload tomorrow when I'm back at work. The images and prints I saw were printed with very fine dots, just like a newspaper print.
    You will need the Oki white and an ability to rasterize the image. Forever have a rasterizing program for their printer driver but it costs around 400€.
    Or they have a one colour foil which you print the image in black and press their "glue" paper onto this and then press this onto the shirt. For this you only need a B&W laser printer. You can print muti colours by layering the prints, just like vinyl.
    Maybe this is the solution you are looking for.

I should also point out that TMT will have very similar papers. Didn't see them at the trade fair but I know the WOW will do the job as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other nice thing about rasterizing the image is that breaking it up into small dots serves two additional benefits....... as the image is already broken up it stops them cracking up so much which has always been the downfall of WoW prints for me. The 2nd is it stops a large image from feeling like you have a plastic bag stuck on your chest as it has now become a mesh in effect.

If and when the penny drops and they scrap or VASTLY reduce the cost of the rasterizing software then I think their sales would vastly increase, as has been said there are other ways of rasterizing the image for free but its too much fuss and time consuming to bother with.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other benefit of rasterizing is the cost of toner on the print is reduced by around 40%.
    Last edited by Earl Smith; 22-03-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, not very good photos but I think you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The downfall of the laser papers is the longevity, unless they've improved any?

30 to 40 washes in my book is not long enough for a premium garment print to last...

I can see customers returning garments and muttering about the sale of goods act (in the UK), quite legitimately to my mind.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Laser her would be your best option a lot more versatile than either vinyl or DTG and certainly a lot cheaper than the latter.
    if you want anymore help or advice or a printed sample please feel free to get in touch.
    i will put a link to our laser section below.

http://www.dyesublimationsupplies.co.uk/laser-printing

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPrint View Post
    So we just got an order in to do the merchandise for an independent wrestling promotion's upcoming tour of Ireland. We have a bit of an in via a merhcandise shop that we've done done stuff for and luckily we were able to get across the line. Absolutely delighted.

Now the designs they want are just not going to be possible with our existing setup which is sub for white and vinyl for dark - so we need to get into either DTG or printing onto then pressing vinyl.

Can anyone that has had to make this decision before - weigh in and let us know which components made you go the way you did - I assume a lot of you guys have been here before.

I know either option is going to be a substantial outlay but I don't have an issue loaning the business the money to get this equipment asap.

Ideally I'm looking for an idea of initial outlay - ink cost - ease of use - training requirements - software used - maintenance involved.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other less durable alternatives to DTG & vinyl as mentioned, I was demonstrated these at the P&P show recently, look really great though the demonstrator did explain they weren't as durable as other methods https://www.grafityp.co.uk/textile-t...ansfer-papers/