Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. A complete newbie
    By Phil47 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-06-2016, 06:01 PM
  2. New heat press required i think....Recommendations?
    By michael in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2016, 09:51 PM
  3. Flat heat press recommendations needed please.
    By enkaFG in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-10-2015, 09:42 AM
  4. Hello all complete newbie here
    By jonna in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 12:36 PM
  5. complete newbie
    By wib in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat press recommendations for a complete newbie PLEASE!

Hey everyone! I am pretty new to all of this and to the forum so I apologize in advance if this has been asked already or seems dumb. I am having some trouble deciding on a system, specifically when it comes to heat presses. I have been lurking around on this forum and google for a few weeks now and am finding it a bit overwhelming so if anyone can help a complete newbie out, I would totally appreciate it.

When it comes to what I want to print, I am thinking to start off with, I will be doing tshirts and mugs, but want to eventually do shot glasses, bottles, small interior signs, jewelry, every and anything, really. From what I am learning, I will need to purchase a flat bed heat press and from what I have been reading, I think I would prefer a swing away press. From what I have been seeing on this forum, brands like pressmech, adkins, and stahls seem to be a favorite around here.

I was looking at the possibility of purchasing a George Knight DK20 as that is a little bit closer to my budget. What are your thoughts on that paired up with a Sawgrass SG400 printer? I am assuming I cannot do mugs, bottles, etc. with that press, correct? If so, what would you recommend for a mugpress that would be a good compliment to the Sawgrass SG400 printer? I don't have a printer yet, but am really considering the SG400. Good choice? Bad choice?

Here are some things that I am a bit concerned with......Besides wanting to make sure my prints are of high quality, I want to make sure that I am getting quality equipment without breaking the bank. Having said that, I don't want to buy something cheap that I will need to replace in a year or less. I would rather buy something of quality and learn that equipment to the best of my ability that will last me for years to come. But don't want to spend money on something with a ton of extra bells and whistles that I may never end up using. I am also a bit weary about buying used or from ebay because one of my major concerns is having access to technical support if something were to malfunction. This is very important to me being that I am extremely inexperienced.

I already have a pretty decent laptop that I plan on using and a copy of Photoshop 6.0 (I know. LOL. but figure its good enough to get me going, right? Or maybe even for the long haul....I dunno?) I know I have mentioned the SG400 and George Knight DK20 in this post as those are two things that I am ONLY CONSIDERING, so I am 100% completely open to more suggestions and recommendations.

I have plans to go to a trade show here locally in a few weeks to try and get a better understanding and possibly purchase some equipment there, but would really like to hear some of your suggestions and recommendations in the meantime. I think it will also help me ask the right questions when I do attend this trade show.

I know I've asked a lot in this post, but again, if any of you more experienced folks could lend your expertise to a complete newbie or give me some kind of direction, I would so so SO appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pleased to see that you are doing some research first. Most people jump in feet first and then wonder what is going wrong. I would go with the sawgrass set up as a starter. Buy it from a recognized supplier one from here would be best as some of them offer great starter kits and discounts once you have paid your £10 membership . With sawgrass you know that there is someone at the end of the phone/computer if it goes wrong.
    As for the press I started with a chinese press clam style but it is quite a big solid lump that it is not a a cheap plastic one. http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum...t-press-%A3110
    It still have it for sale.
    Many thanks
    Iain

Equipment used A4 Ricoh printer, HP3085 Heat Press Graphtec cutter, Jarin mug press, CJV 30-60 solvent printer and lots of help from DSF.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Quinsfan For This Useful Post:

subbase (31-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in the USA then the GK presses make sense, great presses and will last. Although in the UK, I have had dealings with Conde as a supplier and they were excellent. Check out what people say in the US to make sure it wasn't just luck for me.

Going with one supplier with a range of support, videos and products is a good idea.

Sawgrass and GK products, through one good supplier should see you sorted and supported.

Janners

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JMugs For This Useful Post:

subbase (31-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinsfan View Post
    Buy it from a recognized supplier one from here would be best as some of them offer great starter kits and discounts once you have paid your £10 membership . As for the press I started with a chinese press clam style but it is quite a big solid lump that it is not a a cheap plastic one. http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum...t-press-%A3110
    It still have it for sale.
    Thank you for your reply Quinsfan. Unfortunately, I am located in America (chicago) lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    If you are in the USA then the GK presses make sense, great presses and will last. Although in the UK, I have had dealings with Conde as a supplier and they were excellent. Check out what people say in the US to make sure it wasn't just luck for me.

Going with one supplier with a range of support, videos and products is a good idea.

Sawgrass and GK products, through one good supplier should see you sorted and supported.

Janners
    Thanks Janners! I actually spoke with someone from Conde over the phone and they seemed very willing to help me out. however, another forum that i have been visiting, has had nothing but horrible things to say about them, specifically in regards to their customer service and technical support. I watched a lot of their videos on youtube and that was what initially attracted me to them, but I don't know anymore as technical support and customer service is a MAJOR concern of mine so I have been looking at other suppliers and am hoping to meet some new ones when I attend this trade show. I have been looking at Coastal as they seem to have a wider range of substrates. Have you or anyone reading this had any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by JMugs View Post
    Thanks You so much!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea about anybody else your side of the pond. It was a while back and late at night here, then I twigged it was working hours in the US. Phoned Conde and they were great even though I wasn't a customer of theirs. Might just have been lucky.

Janners

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the magic touch have representation in usa - deffo worth looking up
    p
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

10. The Following User Says Thank You to logobear For This Useful Post:

subbase (31-03-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    the magic touch have representation in usa - deffo worth looking up
    p
    Thanks so much logobear.i'll google them!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for my first setup ever, I have narrowed my choices down to get either:

1. George Knight DK20S + a George Knight DK3 for mugs

OR

2. George Knight DC16 combo

Why am I not able to find any kind of information, other than from the George Knight website, for the DC16 like user reviews, etc? Has anyone had any experience with the DC16?

And why are so many people against having a combo press?

There is quite a huge price difference between my two choices and as I would like to print on more things in the future other than tshirts and mugs, I am leaning more towards the DC16 Combo press. Would I be faced with a lot more problems being that it is a combo? Would I just be spending my money on frustrations going with the DC16? Anyone who has any experience with the DC16 that could give me some insight, would be really appreciated!

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have a DK3 and gets used occasionally. We find it does a print closer to handles than Adkins but the same to warm up and press a mug is longer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to UK Printed Mugs For This Useful Post:

subbase (01-04-2017)