Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Problems printing rich blacks on white mugs
    By MrPosner in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-10-2016, 11:32 PM
  2. Pink sparkle mugs
    By Jessie in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-10-2016, 11:21 PM
  3. Could be a bargain if you own a Ricoh GX7700
    By socialgiraffe in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-01-2015, 11:11 AM
  4. Sawgrass Powerdriver for Ricoh - How to Upgrade?
    By Stitch Up in forum Printers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
  5. Reds coming out pink
    By Kaz in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-03-2010, 10:04 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reds appear pink on Mugs on Rich GX7700 with sawgrass ink & powerdriver

I have been lucky enough to not encounter any block colour related issued sublimating photographic images onto mugs. However, I have been given a job that has blocks of red in the vector image. I have gone through 10 plus mugs using different tweaks in the image, driver settings, etc, but constantly produce a variety of pinks :-( and I'm now run out of options as well as mugs. I've exhausted forums, manufacturer/vendor settings and guidance without success :-(

My configuration:

All drivers are the latest to the OS, Sawgrass & Ricoh.

SCREEN CALIBRATED: YES
    SOFTWARE: PHOTOSHOP CS5INKS: SAWGRASS SUBLIJET-R (LESS THAN 3 MONTHS OLD)
    PAPER: SAWGRASS TRUEPIX
    MUG: LONGFORTE ULTRA WHITE
    PRINTER: GELSPRINTER GX e7700N

COLOUR HANDLING: PRINTER MANAGES COLOUR
    RENDERING INTENT: PERCEPTUAL
    DRIVERS: POWERDRIVER R GXE7700N V3.7.1.2814 WITH UNDERLYING OEM RPCS V4.51

I am using the standard sawgrass procedure for image creation and powerdriver printing. I have also used the PHOTO & VECTOR ICC print process from sawgrass which gives the same results. All other colours appear fine, its just the reds.

I have included an image of my mug, created using the Wikipedia RGB RED values (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red) with a variety of core reds that I wanted to reproduce alongside a colour calibration chart and a listawood mug from this years printwear & promotion 2017 show which has the red I desire.

Thanks for any input :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Have you been in contact with Sawgrass? That would be my first port of call if I was paying hundreds of pounds for their ink.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Sawgrass will dial in and check all of your settings in driver, software, profile etc.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give them a try and report back on any findings. Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi

Have you tried playing around with your mug press / oven settings? Reds can wash out like this if you're overcooking the product - ie, too hot - or too long - or both!

If you're still struggling, feel free to send us some printed papers, a printed mug showing the problem plus the artwork file and we can get our tech team to look into it in more detail for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice to date. As it stands I reached out to novachrome for some additional advice which was to print a set of primary CYMK charts using the powerdriver utility and submit them back to novachrome for analysis.

During the dialogue it was suggested to test if the problem was repeated on FRP items, e.g. keyrings. I tested and the pink/orange result was the same :-(. The technology setup was also validated as correct. These tests where performed using the ICC photo profiles/Device driver (not powerdriver as I'd previously used). Basically, powerdriver or ICC gave the same pink/orange result.

As a contingency measure I also purchased a brand new set of inks which arrived the next day.

The plan here was to swap out an individual ink, flush the line using the sawgrass FileSpooler and specific PRN file to print that sole ink (up to 20 full pages). Then to press my test file on FRP (cheaper than mugs) and observe the result per ink change (see images). Black was not changed.

Each result still produced a pink variant (no red).

Out of frustration I reprinted back with powerdriver (my original set-up) and bingo red! (see images showing first 3 FRP's with each ink changed using ICC and the bottom with powerdriver).

I shared this with novachrome and our collective thought was that although the original yellow had 1 month left on the "use by" it must have affected the result. Although that did not explain why the ICC profile process did not produce correct results. I have opened a case with sawgrass and will share this issue. However, as powerdriver is now working, it's likely to be put down as an aged ink as the root cause (although I'd like to resolve the ICC method of printing with brand new ink!).
    Attached Images Attached Images