Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Explaining copyright to customers, no wonder they don't get it!
    By JMugs in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 10:53 PM
  2. Customers....Shoot them!
    By JMugs in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-08-2015, 02:26 AM
  3. Customers...you have to smile!
    By JMugs in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  4. what do you do if customers say print however you think looks best?
    By soulclaimed in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-05-2013, 11:51 PM
  5. Why oh why when its a customers own clothing!
    By Louise in forum Embroidery
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you get your first customers?

Just curious how you guys got your first jobs when you were first starting out? I am planning on getting some equipment by the end of this month and plan on spending some time to learn it, but I am trying to figure out what my plan of attack is going to be once I am confident in the process and end result. Should I.....

Create a website?

Sell on ebay?

Etsy? Amazon?

Knock on some doors?

What has worked best for you so far? What has your experience been like when you were first starting out and how did you get your first customers?

At the moment, I am trying to draft out a plan where I am targeting specific markets and trying to find out the right substrates to create a sample pack to present to those markets, but would love to hear some of your experiences, suggestions, stories, and advice on how you got started with your first jobs.....

Thanks in advance!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife sells on etsy. Its a pretty good community where the customers seem to understand the value of the product more than those on ebay. It's also good to target some of the local smaller business that cant attract the good prices that buying in bulk offer. Either for promotional goods for them or for a small shop. If you can offer them something local, with no crazy minimum orders you will get more repeat business. Its more encouraging to not have to hold as much stock for a small shop than getting a super price. It worth checking out what these sort of places are selling already, then trying to look for something that you can do in line with those.

With Etsy, the value of one or two well deigned products is key. A mug for an occasion like mothers day or fathers day will be competing against lots of the same style. But if yours is good then there are plenty of potential buyers.

We supply trade to a couple of local visitor attractions. Its a good market if you can get in to it as new visitors are coming by all the time.

Alex.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tubstar For This Useful Post:

subbase (03-04-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alex.....ok, this might seem like a totally stupid question, but what do you mean exactly when you say you "supply trade to a couple of local visitor attractions?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subbase View Post
    Thanks Alex.....ok, this might seem like a totally stupid question, but what do you mean exactly when you say you "supply trade to a couple of local visitor attractions?"
    That's selling the products by wholesale to a retail outlet and not direct to consumer. Specifically they are selling to places like gift shops.

I started selling into sports clubshops which is a huge market in the USA. You have a lot of blanks targeting that sector as well. I put a flyer together and emailed various customers until I got a meeting.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:

subbase (04-04-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding potential customers on Google Twitter & facebook