Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Another Newbie question..or two!
    By DekkaHarris in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-02-2015, 04:07 PM
  2. A real newbie question, sorry !!!
    By StellaMan in forum Printers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-11-2014, 11:42 PM
  3. Newbie question - RN, Rhino, Orca?
    By Gelert in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-05-2012, 09:11 AM
  4. Newbie question - what paper?
    By fredster in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
  5. *newbie* first sub-dye shirt question...
    By chongsta in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-02-2010, 09:48 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie thicko question!!!....

Hi All

Ive just purchased the aficio sg3110dn with 3d press etc.

I already have a cutter etc which is all fine but, my question is (and i feel such an idiot!). I have a template in photoshop that i want to print onto mug paper but i can't seem to work out what print type (paper) i need to choose and the sizes. My logic says the software should have the size set up all ready and i thought the paper type would say something in relation to be special paper but i can't see any mention of it. Ive attached a screenshot of what my screen looks like.

Ive youtubed and googled and i just cant seem to find the info. I know im going to kick myself when i find out im sure!

Thank you so much for your help :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which inks did you get with the printer?

I'd guess not Sawgrass, as the instructions would explain everything.

Have you bought sublimation inks? I don't know what other sublimation packages come with, but I'd have thought that an "inclusive" package would come with sensible instructions?

If you've not bought a "sublimation package", then it's not going to work for sublimation - the main thing here being that you must use sublimation ink, or else there will be no proper transfer of the image onto your substrate, resulting in frustration and lots of waste!

If you have bought a sublimation package, then it ought to have come with an icc profile specific to the sublimation inks supplied and (maybe) the sublimation paper that you should use.

The icc profile will do all of the hard work that means that the colours that your image has are (reasonably!) properly reproduced on your finished sublimated article...

The paper size settings are down to you - we print 3 mug wraps per sheet of A4 paper, as that suits us, but some people buy in pre-cut paper and print onto that. The latter has the advantage I believe of allowing a larger print on the mug, as the pre-cut sheets are actually larger than is possible by utilising our method, but our way works for us and I think allows a little cost saving over the other.

If you come back with more details about your setup, you'll receive more specific advice, from those more knowledgeable :-).
    Last edited by willd; 30-04-2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: fat finger syndrome...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Whether the OP uses Sawgra$$ or not has nothing to do with their question.

Basically, your Ricoh needs to be set to print on Plain paper, at the highest quality, and Photoshop needs to have an ICC profile loaded and set to 'Photoshop manages colours'.

I print two wraps to an A4 sheet in Landscape format, which allows me to print wraps that cover the full mug. I guillotine them to 230mm x 90mm.

Hope that helps.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whether the OP uses Sawgra$$ or not has nothing to do with their question.
    It has everything to do with it, if you purchase Sawgrass inks it comes with full instructions on how to install the profile and the printer driver and then also sets up the printer so that you click on the substrate you are printing on to and also what paper you are using (i.e. Trupix, textprint etc).

I know you have a bit of a dislike to Sawgrass, but in this instance it was a reasonable question :-)

CAROLM1A

There two stages to what you need to do. Firstly, assuming you have sublimation inks loaded you need to install a printer profile that is suitable for those inks. A profile manages the colours for sublimation and enables you to get the best results. Ideally your supplier will be able to provide you with this file.

Once you have that loaded and depending on what sort of inks you purchased will depend on what paper settings you use. Some inks work best with Plain Paper settings, some work best with matt settings, it is all down to what you prefer when printed.

If you are using Sawgrass inks then you are selecting the incorrect printer. Assuming you have followed all the instructions you would print using the POWERDRIVER which gives the options for things like Ceramics, Polyester, Photo Slates etc.

Good luck!
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to socialgiraffe For This Useful Post:

willd (01-05-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yeah, point taken SG. I suppose what I was really trying to say was basically that you need to be printing on A4 paper and cut your wraps lengthwise to be able to cover the whole mug area from top to bottom up to the handle.

The way I read it was that the OP mainly wanted to know what size of paper to use and what size the wraps need to be.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way I read it was that the OP mainly wanted to know what size of paper to use and what size the wraps need to be.
    Hopefully between the three of us the OP has their answer :-)
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Thanks guys - it really did help :) so, basically i didnt have the right bit of software installed, sorted now :)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to carolm1a For This Useful Post:

willd (01-05-2017)