Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. 38x38 clam press - advice for buying one
    By smes9 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 21-06-2016, 11:30 PM
  2. Advice on colours to stock
    By Bob @ Prestige in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM
  3. roland cx24 - buying advice please?
    By gavtheoldskater in forum Vinyl Cutters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 05:28 PM
  4. Dog Clothes - especially HI Vis
    By gstk in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
  5. Vinyl onto clothes - what clothes material?
    By jaffacat in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying clothes for stock - advice please

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how you decide on what type of clothing and sizes you keep in stock in preparation for orders?
    I know this may be difficult question to answer due to what types of clothing you actually sell but if anyone has any generic advice they would like to share it would be greatly appreciated.

I made my very first sale (very excited) over the weekend (a real sale not family/friends) which was through eBay. What I didn't consider was purchasing clothing when receiving orders. Now I've just placed an order with MDP for the clothes I need (1 adult & 1 child) but have now realised I didn't consider the cost for delivery. Ive managed to add a few extra items for my kids and some clothing vinyl to make it worth while however it still wasn't enough to qualify for free delivery. I don't really want to place orders each time I have a sale as this would be costly. I know the obvious answer would be to order a small selection of sizes in a few colours and styles but can anyone add anymore advice to it.

Thanks
    Coops

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    My advice, keep as little stock as possible! When i started out I bought one of everything in every size....I still have some of it!

It's a bit of a juggling game, you need to know what colours/sizes you'll be selling most of.....but you won't know that yet ;-)
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am concerned that I will order too much, especially in the wrong sizes. I think I will go through my designs and maybe order a few large and mediums of the standard colours (worse case scenario I could give them to my family) it's just women's clothing that will be difficult.

I am finding that the sizes vary quite a lot across the different styles and brands. My wife wasn't too happy with the women's sizes of the FOTL (they make her a size bigger which she isn't too keen on lol)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tricky i also have things i bought first time when checking things out, stuff can also go obsolete too.lack and white t shirts should be okay in moderation just choose a brand and get to know it for size feel and durability

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have looked at a few other brands and so far I like the FOTL clothing range. It's not bad price wise but the sizing is a bit off. Recently I have been ordering some samples of clothing but am yet to find anything that is in the price range and quality of FOTL. I currently order from MDP and Absolute Apparel.

I received a catalogue from Ralawise, what a cool catalogue. A fantastic selection of clothing it's just a shame about the prices. Its hard to justify the prices of them when companies like Primark sell amazingly cheap clothes. Any other places I could try?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is difficult when you are starting out, but dont keep any stock, just allow 1-2 weeks to complete your orders and then when you have a few to start building up you can order them together. im surprised what you say about the ralawise pricing. i will have to go and investigate. you can also try prestige leisure wear. but each of the major suppliers will have some core brands that they are cheaper than the other company with.
    i think its absolute apparel they will allow a 2 day delivery which is half the price for delivery over the standard which is useful if you dont need it next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I received a catalogue from Ralawise, what a cool catalogue. A fantastic selection of clothing it's just a shame about the prices. Its hard to justify the prices of them when companies like Primark sell amazingly cheap clothes. Any other places I could try?
    You need to forget about Primark. B&M next to me sell decent printed mugs for a little over £1, but I don't let that deter me because B&M can't produce PERSONALISED items, and that's the edge I have over all of these big outlets.

Saying that, it's possible to dyesub on pure cotton items now so maybe buy some of that cheap gear from Primark and add your own designs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh.... watch out for that so called dyesub onto cotton, the colours change sooooo much after just one or two washes. Best place for that method is hen/stag party kit which will only be used once or seaside trinket shop where you will never see the punter again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my point of view (just starting out in this) keeping costs down is key. I know this is the same for everyone however I need to compete in an already competitive market. With the likes of eBay selling items ridiculously cheap it's hard for people (in the current economic climate) to justify paying more for a t-shirt. The cost of my items are higher because I am unable to purchase the volumes needed to reduce the cost price. It's also hard when I can purchase the same t-shirt on eBay at the price that I buy it from supposed trade suppliers. With Ralawise, the clothing looks great, but the price I am charged is higher than the costs advertised in their catalogue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArferMo View Post
    Huh.... watch out for that so called dyesub onto cotton, the colours change sooooo much after just one or two washes. Best place for that method is hen/stag party kit which will only be used once or seaside trinket shop where you will never see the punter again.
    I've not had the experience with sublimation to cotton garments that you've probably had AferMo, but the way I understand it is that the transfer paper has a polyester layer which takes the print in much the same way as sublimating on a polyester garment.