Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. What Paper Should I Use to Print Posters? Epson 9800.
    By Stitch Up in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-09-2016, 03:58 PM
  2. Greeting card printer?
    By UK Printed Mugs in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-2016, 06:04 PM
  3. Printer for Greeting Cards
    By liannef in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-01-2015, 08:11 PM
  4. greeting cards
    By guarddog14 in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-06-2014, 12:49 AM
  5. Business Cards & Flyers? How? I Love Paper!
    By edwardsmedia in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greeting cards and posters, which printer and paper do you use?

Hi,

I've been looking on Google for a long time, trying to figure out which printers are best for making Greeting cards and posters. That don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a Canon Pixma IP7250, but when I try to print on photo paper that's 260gsm, it leaves track marks from the rollers down the prints. It doesn't seem to like thick paper! I have phoned Canon about this and was told it's because I was using third party paper. So I tried Canon's paper, and it's true theirs does work. But it's not the most cost effective.

Regardless, this printer only prints up to 300gsm. This isn't as thick as the cards in the shops. I've been advised from a friend that the Canon IX6850 is a good printer for greeting cards, but it says on the specification that 300gsm is the thickest paper it accepts (like the one I have says.)

Does anyone know of a printer that accepts thicker paper? (350gsm)

Also, can anyone tell me what cards in the shops are made from? I've been looking at photo glossy paper, but I'm wondering if what I should be looking for is glossy card?

I'm also looking into printing posters, but I'm finding this confusing.

1. Can posters be printed on an inkjet printer?
    2. If so, what paper are they printed on?

Photo gloss paper doesn't seem to look the same as the paper posters are printed on in the shops.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by brightday83; 18-05-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the quality of the card you want to sell. Most cards in the shops are less than 240gsm unless they are the premium cards.

I sell cards and have no complaints with 250gsm cards.

If you are getting track marks on the print then you need to clean your rollers.

I use a Cannon ix6500 printer without any problems. If the colour is catching on the edges or leaving track marks after cleaning you could try using the prevent paper abbreviations settings in the advanced maintenance options. This lifts the print head slightly when printing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an Epson 1500w for all my cards, no problem.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to James990 For This Useful Post:

brightday83 (19-05-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James990 View Post
    Hi James,

Can I ask what paper do you use? Have you ever tried 350gsm with your Epson? And is it glossy photo paper or card?
    Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Customprintwales View Post
    Depends on the quality of the card you want to sell. Most cards in the shops are less than 240gsm unless they are the premium cards.

I sell cards and have no complaints with 250gsm cards.

If you are getting track marks on the print then you need to clean your rollers.

I use a Cannon ix6500 printer without any problems. If the colour is catching on the edges or leaving track marks after cleaning you could try using the prevent paper abbreviations settings in the advanced maintenance options. This lifts the print head slightly when printing.
    Thanks for your reply.

No, the track marks are known as 'pizza marks'. It's not ink but tiny little holes all across the print, because the rollers are pressing too hard on the paper as it goes through. Canon has said this is due to all different paper types having a different thickness, and only their paper is made to go through at the right thickness. Which I've tried and tested, they seem to be right. But their paper is expensive.

I've used Satin paper from a third party and that works fine, and also 690gsm magnetic paper (but that's made to squash as it goes through because it's very flexible.)

Apparently these printers aren't good for printing on card though.

Yes, it's the premium type card I was looking into.

From what people have told me, it seems that the only way to get card like this is to have them printed through a professional printing firm.

Hey-ho, thought it was worth asking people's opinions, as I imagine everyone will have had different experiences and used different printers and papers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 250gm. Never had cause to go as high as 350 cannot see the reason to go that high, most cards are only on display in the hosuehold for a few days then either end up in the bin or in a scrap book, so the 250 is heavy enough. Also there is the cost of postage these days.

It is glossy on the outside and matt on the inside. I went down this route because I was fed up with the shop bought cards that were glossy both sides and when you go to write on the inside it can sumdge, even worse if you are left handed, so I have found out from my research.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to James990 For This Useful Post:

brightday83 (23-05-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 250gm. Never had cause to go as high as 350 cannot see the reason to go that high, most cards are only on display in the hosuehold for a few days then either end up in the bin or in a scrap book, so the 250 is heavy enough. Also there is the cost of postage these days.

It is glossy on the outside and matt on the inside. I went down this route because I was fed up with the shop bought cards that were glossy both sides and when you go to write on the inside it can sumdge, even worse if you are left handed, so I have found out from my research.

Thanks James .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a spare 1500W sitting here and might use it for printing larger prints. What ink are you using for printed paper or card?

How does it compare to one of the £200 Pixma printers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    For large prints I use my Canon Pixma ix6850 with A3+ photo glossy, using CIE inks. The extra dimensions of the plus size make a big difference to the appearance. Canvas works nice too in this printer. I've no experience with a 1500w though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any links to card paper to go with the Canon for printing cards and A3 prints? Its something i am looking into :) Cheers