Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Adkins Auto Clam - Any one use it?
    By UK Printed Mugs in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2020, 04:18 PM
  2. Clam Shell press
    By BillyG in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-11-2016, 07:41 PM
  3. Clam press pressure
    By Andysam26467 in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-12-2014, 01:21 PM
  4. For Sale OKI 610 TMT and BMS 40 x 50 clam heat press
    By michc in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  5. Swing or clam?
    By twinsgran in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 13-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Thread: Clam or Swing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clam or Swing?

Hello,

I am planning to start my own printing business soon, and I will mostly print coasters. I am gonna use a production jig from xpres (http://www.xpres.co.uk/p-9339-unisub...062-xpres.aspx) to make more coasters in one go, but I need some advice on which kind of press should I choose. I was actually thinking to buy a 28x38 stahls maxx clam press, but due to jigs thickness (19mm) and due to the closing angle of clam presses, now I am considering to buy a swing one. But theres not much space for a swing press. Do you think clam press would be suitable for a 19mm thick jig or should I go for a swing press?

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Plenty of threads on here discussing the clam vs swing away. Personally I'd only recommend the latter but I appreciate budget may be an issue.

Not all presses (even swing away) will lock down onto thicker, 15mm+ items which you will need to do. Even the Adkins, whilst being an excellent press, won't lock down with the standard platen.

I use a Presmech and have never had a moments bother with it. It will lock down onto very thick items no problem at all.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do not use this jig. So many members have bought and returned. Gaps between coaster and jig makes unpredictable unresults. There is absolutely no need for a jig to do coasters. We print hundreds a month with heat tape alone. Also, don't buy Unisub coasters. There have been manufacturing problems for over six months. Lots of threads on here.

Lastly, swing away and NOT clam. Although out of stock (not sure for how long for) can highly recommend
    https://www.printerowners.co.uk/hard...heat-press.htm

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies,

I really need to redesign my room to use a swing press, that press got my attention but unfortunately its out of stock. I got adkins studio versa on my mind atm.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    while I am an adkins fan and user of 26 years ... I still concider them the ugliest user of space in my shop.
    The swing area is vast, - way beyond 90 degrees ....
    and you wouldn't get 15mm lockdown
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a adkins and it will not lock down on a 12mm keyholder.

Why does the template have to be so thick, surely if it made less than the thickness of the coaster but the aperture is the correct size and goes all the way through then that would work.

If you are planning on doing lots of coasters then would a local machine shop machine you 2 one for loading and one for pressing, not sure what material would be best, MDF would possibly warp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm with UK Mugs, I can't see the need for a jig just to print on coasters. I've done coasters, placemats, jigsaws, aluminium sheet, etc, all just by heat-taping the print to the item.