Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM
  2. Items needed
    By madmagowan1 in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
  3. For Sale heatpress and sublimation items plus vinyl items
    By fredster in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 12:01 AM
  4. Yellowing on Subli Tee
    By Justin in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 10:59 AM
  5. YELLOWING ON MUGS AND METAL
    By Jules in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 07:25 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yellowing of white items - florescent ?

Hi all,
    I had a couple white T shirts to sublimate today so went ahead, now usually I put greaseproof paper on top of everything but this time I forgot, I ended up with a slight yellow tinge. I pressed 20 florescent vests at weekend but even took the press outside to do this to avoid sheeting everything up (again using greaseproof paper on top (i always cover lower soft plate with a t shirt) I use an adkins swing press. I've been pressing a cotton white T at 180 for 50 secs a few times since trying to 'burn off' if you like any remaining florescent as i'm sure it cant be anything else, i mean i doubt it's burning it at 180 degrees and it doesnt look like scorching its more light yellow. If anyone does florescent what do they clean the press with after because this stuff seems to be lingering and i'm annoyed now for doing the vests! Might buy a separate press for it in future! Any helpful ideas or hints welcome.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do.

I press about 15-20k vests a year and the heat press literally glows with the fluorescent threads. Only thing I can suggest is that you purchase another press for vests versus white garments. The good news is that you can "get away with it" with coloured garments and in time the thread will blow away. But in the mean time if you find a solution let me know.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sheeted up greaseproof paper both sides of the t shirt being sublimated effectively encasing it, it was child size so pulled it off this time, I've given the press a good wipe around and whacked it up to 225 for a time and pressed onto a white waste t shirt and will repeat this later again today to see if I've got rid after a days pressing of other jobs that aren't white! Separate press will be required if i get many orders for hi vis vests or your details! I used result vests, what you use? They were printed vinyl pu applications so 150 degree 15 secs, I suppose I could try 5 sec press printable vinyl from Xpress but imagine the yellow would still float around after.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem is that loose threads disperse. These are polyester so, when under the heat press the dye will turn into a gas (like dye sub ink does) and move about freely until it finds somewhere to settle. If where it has settled does not get hot again you will never get rid of it. The Magic Touch have a loan machine that sits in the corner of their workshop that is testament to this (I borrowed it while mine was being fixed!).

However having a heat press where the outside casing "glows" should not be a problem, as long as the platen and bed are clean.

In theory it should eventually clear and you can carry on as normal, however if I were to press a mixture of items and knowing what I know now, I would definitely purchase a different press for hi vis vest sublimation.

Useful tip:if you are only printing black on to your hi vis, then use Tesco branded inkjet paper. 180 degrees, 40-50 seconds gets a superb black. Ink quality is also irrelevant on this sort of item... trust me :-)

I use RODO vests, I went through quite a few different makes and found these to be the best quality v price. YOKO are cheaper on list price but I got too many returns.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to socialgiraffe For This Useful Post:

mr-gobby (22-06-2017)