Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
  2. Sold George Knight DK20S Swing Heat Press 16" x 20" Size
    By Fidget242 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-04-2014, 12:52 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 09:36 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garment sales - "market research"

Hope its okay to post this here...

As a newbie its brain melting trying to utilise a pricing strategy when you have no history to look back on in order to estimate sales per month/year which is a variable of most strategies. I realised that the only way for my to determine an amount or at least get a general idea is to hope that people would be kind enough to share their experience and offer realistic starting points.

If you are willing to share it would be much appreciated.

P.s. on an even more amateurish note; when pricing a product do you assume that that product is the only product you sell? E.g. you offer multiple options, subli, vinyl, screen print, but do you only consider how many subli garments you would have to sell to break even regardless of other sales? (Hope that makes sense!) And when factoring in over heads such as bills, do you include the full bill amount of just the certain amount the production process uses? E.g. the heat press is on for x amount of time and costs x amount per kwh.

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    it is impossible for anyone to guess your sales without a lot more info.
    What channels will you use?
    How will you promote yourselves or generate traffic
    What market are you after?
    Are you selling your own designs ... and how good are they?
    Can you get your (great) designs to the market that might be interested in them.....

As a newbie - you have got to try lots of different things, and see what works for you.
    Expect to make a loss in the 1st few months ... while finding what does work for you....
    How to price - depends what you are selling, how many, to who, and how!
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply!

Thats why im asking for peoples experiences and the kind of structure they have in regards to what they offer so that I can get an idea from everyones response and if lucky, find offerings to what I have in mind.

One thing I know for sure is that I would be focusing more on a "service" approach than a "product" approach. Obviously they would be products but what im trying to say is that my main focus would not be on designing t shirts. Thats more for someone who wants to create a clothing line.

Again, thanks for your reply!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you either have to just explore your local opportunities, or explain your plan and ask advice.
    Impossible to answer an open question.

WHY do you want to sell garments?
    How will you source & produce them?

the best start is your own world & community.
    Friends, neighbours, work, clubs, family , school, hobbies & interests .... see what work s for you.

Some people start selling a dozen shirts ... bit of a hobby... maybe get another lead.

Amazon garment fullfillment will probably be looking at 5,000,000 units in its 1st year.
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for your reply! i feel iv over complicated this lol.

I have considered all of these thing. this is in its conception.

I'll get to the point as i should have originally lol... as a start up ..as a general in no way accurate figure.. obviously a lot of variables.. with the desire to attrach people requiring a service and providing self designs and requests.. what would a realistic number of garments i could sell a month as a brand new operation. This is for the solep purpose of having a figure to stick i a pricing strategy equation.

I understand there are loads of variables to consider.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Logobear says, its virtually impossible to say what sort of money you will take, there are so many variables.

I can only advise from my own personal experience. When I started out I had no sales, but to balance that out I had very small overhead. Work out how much it costs you to live and get rid of any expense that isnt 100% essential. Just living will swallow up any profit you may make until you get to a certain level of sales.

I started with one production process and one machine it meant I could offer many variations of similar products without having to carry lots of inventory. Find a product range with potential and concentrate on that, dont try to do everything, it ties up too much money in blanks and more equipment. When starting out you only really need to be good at one thing, get good at that one thing as quickly as you can and before you run out of cash.

eg. Starting out I would rather develop a range of cushion covers than t shirts, You dont need different colours or sizes, try and keep things simple try and get the widest product range with the least amount of inventory(Photoshop is your best friend if selling online)

Dont run out of money blanks or consumables, dont overstock , oh and dont run out of money!

Know your costs, dont guestimate. Know how much you need to pay out to fullfill an order and get paid then add a percentage for the s**t that happens. Know your fixed daily/weekly costs thats how much it costs you to stand still whether you makes sales or not. If your machine produce for 1 hour a day or 14 hours a day your daily fixed costs are constant.(The extra electricity to run the machine is a variable cost)

Be as precise as possible with your costs, if you overload your costs then you may price yourself out of the market or miss opportunity. Your time is worth nothing without sales, spend your time generating sales, once you have sales your time has value, the time spent developing sales will pay back dividends in the future.

If you run out of money your stock isnt worth what you think it is. Generate enough profit to pay your bills and create a surplus for the future, the next machine you want will always cost more than you have.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRC View Post
    Hi thanks for your reply! i feel iv over complicated this lol.

I have considered all of these thing. this is in its conception.

I'll get to the point as i should have originally lol... as a start up ..as a general in no way accurate figure.. obviously a lot of variables.. with the desire to attrach people requiring a service and providing self designs and requests.. what would a realistic number of garments i could sell a month as a brand new operation. This is for the solep purpose of having a figure to stick i a pricing strategy equation.

I understand there are loads of variables to consider.

Thanks.
    I wish you would have written that before I made my last post.....

The answer is easy, between 0-100,000,000

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing! Its extremely useful. I knew i came to the right place :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    I wish you would have written that before I made my last post.....

The answer is easy, between 0-100,000,000
    XD ..thanks for clearing that up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've got a day job I'd suggest keeping it and whatever it is your looking to do start it as a sideline and learn the ropes. Will you do vector artwork in which case you need vector software Corel draw or illustrator and have to learn to use it first. Sublimation only or other things like vinyl? Either way invest in the best equipment even if it's secondhand. Outlets for your products? Try local first before going online with all the problems you may encounter with distance selling from returns to postage issues. Your sales will grow if your doing it right and in the right place, as for figures for pricing look at your competition to get a feel for the top and bottom pricing fun look at your consumable costings. Consider equipment as a slow payback so over a 5 years break down. Other costs will amount but working from home you just swallow it really until it affects your outgoings t a level where you need to factor them in. Basically your aim with all this is to get more money in than goes out, sales volume will hopefully grow which affects everything. There is no way to forecast your sales at the outset really because there are too many variables. Good luck with your new venture and keep us all posted with your progress.