Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Vacuum Presses and Mugs
    By pisquee in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2014, 12:22 AM
  2. Anyone using these mug presses?
    By Justin in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-07-2013, 02:15 PM
  3. Cap Presses?
    By Stitch Up in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 17-07-2013, 07:21 PM
  4. cap presses
    By chongsta in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2-300 mugs /week
    Only option is an Oven if its regular work.

One person, 72 mugs per hour.

216 MUGS 3 HOURS
    324 MUGS 4.5 HOURS

That is how long it takes me anyway.

This does not allow for warming the oven which takes about 10 minutes.

Cost of a decent oven about £300
    Mug wraps £4.00 ish on ebay - you need about 72-96 ideally
    Decent set of gloves

So about the same price as 1 twin press yet higher speed and A LOT less hassle on top to bottom print, plus you can get A LOT closer to the handle (about 8mm)...
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleimages View Post
    You cannot go wrong with Adkins, you really do get what you pay for with everything in the printing game.

What settings are you using with your mugs?
    200oC for 140sec I think, off the top of my head. After the press has been on for a while we sometimes turn it down to 190 for 130sec. We've tried lower temps /longer times but find this works best, except for the duff ones :) .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did think about ovens tbh but decided to stick with what I knew - I've never seen or used a mug oven!

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violetsub View Post
    I did think about ovens tbh but decided to stick with what I knew - I've never seen or used a mug oven!
    We are going to sell our ST-3042 oven and wraps as we've not used it for a bit if you're interested in getting into the oven game also.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, however when the time comes that you feel you are a competent "dye subber" who understands how it works then give an oven a go. I promise you, a little bit of tinkering here and there and you will not look back.

You can even give it a go in your own house oven, I would not recommend it long term due to ink gassing off, but for a dabble it's worth it. Buy a wrap from a supplier, or off ebay and then give it a try, 180 degrees for about 6-8 minutes. If you decide to bleed an image top and bottom do not have it extending more than 0.5-1 mm over the edge, otherwise you will get "blueing"

Trust me, once you hit the sweet spot you will be glad you did.

In my opinion, better mugs can be printed using an oven as opposed to mug presses, because you get better results, just an opinion though :-)

P.S. I do not use a mug oven, I just use an oven :-)
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Fair enough, however when the time comes that you feel you are a competent "dye subber" who understands how it works then give an oven a go. I promise you, a little bit of tinkering here and there and you will not look back.

You can even give it a go in your own house oven, I would not recommend it long term due to ink gassing off, but for a dabble it's worth it. Buy a wrap from a supplier, or off ebay and then give it a try, 180 degrees for about 6-8 minutes. If you decide to bleed an image top and bottom do not have it extending more than 0.5-1 mm over the edge, otherwise you will get "blueing"

Trust me, once you hit the sweet spot you will be glad you did.

In my opinion, better mugs can be printed using an oven as opposed to mug presses, because you get better results, just an opinion though :-)

P.S. I do not use a mug oven, I just use an oven :-)

Same here. I get great results in my kitchen gas oven set at mark 4 to 5. Mine take around 9 minutes. One thing to watch for is if the silicone mug wrap rests on the wire grills in the oven, it sometimes distorts the edge of the wrap resulting in slight fading in that area. This nearly always occurs in the area opposite the handle and is easily corrected by putting a piece of your heat sensitive tape over that area to stop it moving and trying to make sure that area is between the grill wires.

I never get a bad mug now, unlike the times I use my mug presses.

For the sake of 4 quid for a mug wrap it's well worth giving it a go!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could I jump into this thread and ask those that oven sublimate how important or quick you have to be to remove mugs from oven once time is up followed by removing wraps and then paper from mugs if you're doing 12 at a time? With mug press then we remove single mug and paper within about 5 seconds of end time to get under fan otherwise sublimation still occurs and print over bakes or ghosts (double print if paper has moved). So with 12 in an oven then I imagine our process wouldn't be viable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi UK. I use an oven but, to be honest, I haven't done more than 4 mugs at a time. Saying that, the time spent in the oven isn't super-critical, so an extra minute or two probably would make no difference, giving you ample time to remove the mugs and their wraps one at a time. I dunk my mugs in fairly hot water for a few seconds to stop the sublimation. Prints are excellent.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really precision down to the second on removing but as long as it is less than a minute once time goes you should be okay. Seems to take a bit longer to get the over cooking blur. We usually remove wraps after the next batch has gone in but no real problem in letting them cool before removing most of the time. Sooner you get them taken off the better really as helps the whole process and wraps becoming available.

Whilst we often use an oven I still prefer a press option when possible. Gassing does occurs for ovens when being used continuously all day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, yes one, mug wrap that I bought a few years ago and never tried. Reading this ignited an interest in giving it a go especially reading how close you can get to the handle and how well it does a full image top to bottom, so I dug out the wrap and gave it a go.. Wow, very impressed indeed, so much so it'll now be my preferred method when doing a mug with a full wrap graphic. It was an Xpres mug, Epson WF7110 using Sublisure ink and Xpres Subliprint paper, cooked at 190 for 7 minutes. Image was very vivid and perfect print approx 6-8mm from either side of the handle with no fading over the entirety of the mug.