Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mug Paper Setting
    By socialgiraffe in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM
  2. Print drying time
    By deathgimptshirts in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-06-2014, 11:33 AM
  3. Setting custom paper size on the brother 5910DW
    By twinsgran in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM
  4. Sub Paper Drying?
    By chris_hosk in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ink is not drying or setting into the paper

Hi I'm new to the dye sub world. I'm using an Epson 1400 with a ciss some dye sub ink from eBay and some a4 dye sub paper I bought on eBay . I am a screenprinter and had this epson 1400 doing nothing around the house and thought I would try the Dye Sublimation world out.
    Like most noobs I've watched videos and read everything out there to get a small grasp of what's needed to succeed . I made the changes to my printer settings as shown on multiple you tube videos . (Turned off high speed printing , mirror image turned on plain paper sett.)
    So I finally received the paper in the mail go to print my first trial image out. Well the paper has printed words on one side so I print the image on the other side. The ink isn't drying onto the paper at all and isn't sinking into the paper one bit. 11 hours later still wet, and I'm able to wipe away all the ink from the paper like water off a duck. Tried the printed side with the same results. What a mess. It seems like the paper is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    did you flush out old ink?
    probably need to pass a lot of ink through the tubes to ensure 100% sub ink, - if atr all possible without new heads?
    have you profiled?

i think going down the DIY route is one for the experts, not a newbie
    1 Hour T-shirt printing shop in Newcastle upon Tyne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Logobear t-shirt print and embroidery. 74 Clayton Street. Newcastle. NE1 5PG. UK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logobear View Post
    did you flush out old ink?
    probably need to pass a lot of ink through the tubes to ensure 100% sub ink, - if atr all possible without new heads?
    have you profiled?

i think going down the DIY route is one for the experts, not a newbie
    I flushed it last night and will give it another try, as that was all I could think of. The paper acts like it's waterproof , almost like the backside of a transparency. I'm not familiar with other papers so I don't have anything to compare it with. Do most papers have a almost plastic sheen to the surface? If I print on regular printer paper I get a clean print.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you have not got the right paper, if I were to take a guess you have purchased (or they have sent) laser transfer paper which is not dye sub paper.

Dye sub paper should have a matt feel to it and if you wet your finger slightly it will stick to the paper (on decent papers anyway).

Having siad all that, you are going to find everything an uphill struggle as you are possibly starting out with "iffy" kit. It is going to be difficult to start out like that and you will have to be more patient and be willing to waste a lot more blanks going the route you have decided.

That said... good luck :-)
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it prints ok on regular paper then it sounds like the dye-sub paper you have is the problem.
    Are you able to post a link to the paper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    It sounds like you have not got the right paper, if I were to take a guess you have purchased (or they have sent) laser transfer paper which is not dye sub paper.

Dye sub paper should have a matt feel to it and if you wet your finger slightly it will stick to the paper (on decent papers anyway).

Having siad all that, you are going to find everything an uphill struggle as you are possibly starting out with "iffy" kit. It is going to be difficult to start out like that and you will have to be more patient and be willing to waste a lot more blanks going the route you have decided.

That said... good luck :-)
    Thanks for the tip on paper here's what I have. It claims to be the right thing, but isn't working like the right thing , haha

I'm ok with the uphill struggle, gives me something to use my brain over.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, try printing something on draft settings and see what happens.

Having seen this paper it could now be as logo describes and the normal ink is not flush completely combined with your settings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, try printing something on draft settings and see what happens.

Having seen this paper it could now be as logo describes and the normal ink is not flush completely combined with your settings.
    The paper is smooth on the "print side " and has no grab to it I wet my finger and ran it over it and it's just slippery. I'm guessing it's not normal. I was expecting it to be Like screen printing transparency one side is waterproof /slippery and the other is sticky. Maybe I've just go a bad batch of dye sub paper?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Without touching or seeing the paper it is difficult to be 100%, but it does sound like you do not have dye sub paper there.

My recommendation would be to telephone someone like Conde in N America and buy a box of 100 sheets of good quality paper. Trupix is about £15.00 here so about $25.00 presumably plus shipping. If that is too much then ask them for some samples, it might work. Once you have that paper you will see the difference (make sure you print on the right side of the paper!).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to socialgiraffe For This Useful Post:

hubie (17-08-2017)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without touching or seeing the paper it is difficult to be 100%, but it does sound like you do not have dye sub paper there.

My recommendation would be to telephone someone like Conde in N America and buy a box of 100 sheets of good quality paper. Trupix is about £15.00 here so about $25.00 presumably plus shipping. If that is too much then ask them for some samples, it might work. Once you have that paper you will see the difference (make sure you print on the right side of the paper!).
    Thank you, I'm going to give it a go, and order some trupix. Thanks again everyone.