Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. 3d heat press issues :(
    By carolm1a in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2017, 01:56 AM
  2. Mug press issues
    By Trebor in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-05-2017, 05:28 PM
  3. 5 way mug press issues!
    By jase1985 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  4. Mug Press issues
    By MissyH in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
  5. oh woe is me, mug press issues!
    By AdamB in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug Press Issues

Hi All,

I've pressed a couple of test mugs so far to try and perfect my settings and methods of printing, but there's been one problem which has come up a few times. Down in one of the bottom corners, there seems to be some almost smudged looking bleed, and around some of the edges. (Photo link below)

As well as this, the colours appear to be coming out a fair amount darker than my screen (Very light shade of purple is coming out very dark) - and the same with all of the rest. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using 11oz Photo Mugs provided in the Starter Kit bundle by DyeSublimationSupplies, a set of Sublisplash inks, the Sublisplash ICC profile, and a FreeSub Double Mug Press.

Edit: Oh, and a Ricoh SG3110DN

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's gassing out at the corner.

Are your mugs perfectly smooth without dents or barrelling?

Does your printed wrap fit to the top and bottom of the mug and virtually up to the handle?

What times and temperatures were you using for that mug?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    Looks like it's gassing out at the corner.

Are your mugs perfectly smooth without dents or barrelling?

Does your printed wrap fit to the top and bottom of the mug and virtually up to the handle?

What times and temperatures were you using for that mug?
    Hi webtrekker,

Yes, the mugs appear to be perfectly smooth to the eye and the touch.

My printed wrap doesn't fit the whole mug, I think there's about 1.5-2cm either side of the handle which appears to be free, and about 0.5cm free on both the top and bottom.

I was using a high pressure at 180 degrees c for 180 seconds (Timer not started until mug reached temperature).

I did however notice when the press was heating up the there was a little bit of fizzling coming from the paper, which I didn't think was normal but couldn't really tell. (And an ever so slight amount of smoke if you looked closely enough)

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did however notice when the press was heating up the there was a little bit of fizzling coming from the paper, which I didn't think was normal but couldn't really tell. (And an ever so slight amount of smoke if you looked closely enough)

Something is very wrong there, no way should the paper "fizz" and there should be no smoke at all.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    Something is very wrong there, no way should the paper "fizz" and there should be no smoke at all.
    Yeah, exactly what I thought. I couldn't quite put my mind on what was causing it to do that - Its on a high pressure, and only seems to occur when the mug has just been placed in the press, and heating back up to temp. I didn't think it was normal, and at first I just thought it was the press.
    Last edited by kbho; 23-11-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought about the fizzing, is the ink drying onto the paper before pressing ?

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Could you do do me a favour please and do another mug and video the whole process and then send it to adam@dyesublimationsupplies.co.uk and I will get him to get to the bottom of this for you, it may be a simple thing or it may need the mug press swapped out. Either way we will get it sorted for you early next week.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by kbho View Post
    Hi webtrekker,

Yes, the mugs appear to be perfectly smooth to the eye and the touch.

My printed wrap doesn't fit the whole mug, I think there's about 1.5-2cm either side of the handle which appears to be free, and about 0.5cm free on both the top and bottom.

I was using a high pressure at 180 degrees c for 180 seconds (Timer not started until mug reached temperature).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disky View Post
    just a thought about the fizzing, is the ink drying onto the paper before pressing ?
    Hi Disky,

I had left it around 10 minutes before I'd actually begun to press it - as I needed to cut out the transfer and heat the press up so that shouldn't be a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DyeSubSupplies View Post
    Could you do do me a favour please and do another mug and video the whole process and then send it to adam@dyesublimationsupplies.co.uk and I will get him to get to the bottom of this for you, it may be a simple thing or it may need the mug press swapped out. Either way we will get it sorted for you early next week.
    steve
    Hi Steve,

I'll get that done and sent over as soon as I can. I'm just going to set up the ICC profile Jamie sent over to me on Thursday - appears I didn't receive the initial email with the setup instructions.

Supplier
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No worries adam can sort all that out for you on Monday if you are struggling.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by kbho View Post
    Hi Steve,

I'll get that done and sent over as soon as I can. I'm just going to set up the ICC profile Jamie sent over to me on Thursday - appears I didn't receive the initial email with the setup instructions.