Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug sublimation: Consistency.

Hey guys,

Not posted for a while. I've been experimenting with mug sublimation pretty much all this year. And while I think I've learned a lot and have got some pretty good results, I'm still struggling to get consistent good results. I still seem to waste loads of mugs on what seem like random problems. I methodically test and record, finally finding a combination of settings that work - only to come back the next day and find all my mugs are coming out with a red/pink hue, or smudged images, or faded in the corners etc etc etc... it's like black magic.

Are you guys getting constant results? If it's something I'm doing wrong then I'll keep at it until the process is perfect. But if it's just not possible to get consistent results with mug sublimation, I may have to rethink my business as it's just too stressful. I get the impression that my problems come from the pressing side of things. I'm through the woods with regards to printing issues/ICC profiles etc (thank god). Are traditional mug presses the best solution? Are ovens better, or these new 3D machines.

I don't think my problems are due to my hardware or materials. I've learned the hard way about 'buying cheap - buying twice'. When I first started I bought everything off ebay, cheapest possible. And my results got better as I upgraded pretty much everything. I think it's my technique, or if I'm really unlucky - a problem with my press maybe?

I do full wraparound images and my latest problem is like a smudging/blurring in one corner.

Any ideas or advice would be most welcome.

Mug Press - Galaxy Pro
    Mugs - Xpres
    Printer - Ricoh SG7100
    Ink/Paper - Sawgrass
    Last edited by Subdub; 05-12-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My advice would be to try a halogen oven...

You have decent kit there and the only thing that will be the variable is the pressing. Ovens remove that variable element so it is just down to getting the time right and once set will remain consistent. If you do a search on here you will find time and temp recomendations for a halogen which will do four mugs at a time (I have a bigger oven so can not advise on that part).

Cost of the oven is about £30 I think and you will need four oven wraps which I would suggest ebay at about £4-5 each.

You will also find that you will get better top and bottom results and closer to the handle.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite possibly the heat element blanket not wrapping around well enough. If you look down the end of the blanket with mug in place can you see if there is good contact near the ends by the handle area? A bit more pressure can help as the element softens slightly eventually to wrap around snugger,

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I've got 2 different mug presses and could never achieve a full wrap-around with either of them, even after preheating.

I now make anything requiring a full area print in my kitchen gas oven. Perfect print every time.

I might add though, I tend to stay away from designs that need full area in the first place. Makes life a lot easier and results are easily repeatable, with no scrap.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 05-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socialgiraffe View Post
    My advice would be to try a halogen oven...
    Ah interesting, I never thought about that. Any old halogen oven? Or one that's made specifically for sublimation?

Quote Originally Posted by webtrekker View Post
    I now make anything requiring a full area print in my kitchen gas oven. Perfect print every time.
    Wow, very interesting. Would you care to share temps and times? I have an electric oven at home. Do you have to preheat them or anything?

Thanks chaps!

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the sort of thing, do a search on the forum and you might get the make and model of one that a current member is already using. But essentially any old halogen oven will do. Just not sure how well they are built and I heard that once the lamp goes then its useless.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/17l-halog...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would you care to share temps and times? I have an electric oven at home
    Not sure on Webtrekker, but I use a convection oven at work to do 24 mugs at a time.

Not sure on temp as it is on a dial, but I would recommend to start at 170 degrees (if using sawgrass ink) and 7-8 minutes for 1 mug. The more mugs the longer the time and as an example, I have 24 mugs in the convection oven for 16-18 minutes depending on the style of mug.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wow, very interesting. Would you care to share temps and times? I have an electric oven at home. Do you have to preheat them or anything?
    You'd be looking to 'cook' them at around 180 degrees C, which is somewhere between gas mark 4 and 5 on my kitchen gas cooker. Keep them fairly high in the oven and take care that the wire shelf doesn't distort the bottom of the silicone wraps while they are standing on it as this will allow gases to escape and result in faded areas.

It really is dead easy in an oven. I cook them for 9 minutes for 1 mug, but you may need to add another minute or two depending on the number of mugs you have in the oven. I remove the wraps as soon as possible after cooking and dunk the mugs in fairly hot water to stop the sublimation, but Socialgiraffe, who has more experience than myself, will tell you that this isn't necessary and I think you'll find there's a fair bit of leeway.

All I can say is, it's a fairly cheap option, whether you use your home oven or a halogen oven, so give it a go and see the difference.

Regarding preheating: Preheat your oven until it's at the right temperature (about 10 to 15 mins maybe) then just put the mugs in cold as the entire mug will heat up to the full temperature thus eliminating any heat sink effects caused by the handle and thick base of the mug, which is the bane of standard mug presses.
    Last edited by webtrekker; 05-12-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys. I was starting to get frustrated with it all. Throwing half a box of 36 mugs away before you get a good one will do that. I'll experiment with my home oven and maybe get a halogen for the studio. I can always use the mug press for small designs/logos etc.

I still have most of a box of cheap ebay mugs I bought at the beginning which will be fine for experimenting with.

Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Subdub View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I was starting to get frustrated with it all. Throwing half a box of 36 mugs away before you get a good one will do that. I'll experiment with my home oven and maybe get a halogen for the studio. I can always use the mug press for small designs/logos etc.

I still have most of a box of cheap ebay mugs I bought at the beginning which will be fine for experimenting with.

Thanks again!

Although, as stated , I use my home cooker, I'm going to try a halogen oven myself as it's more convenient and I believe I'd get more accurate temperature control and a more even distribution of heat (not that the gas cooker doesn't do a great job).

I've just bought the one from The Transfer Press - http://www.thetransferpress.co.uk/ha...en-c2x17259469

Probably very similar to JML etc, but more expensive, I know. However, I deal with TTP often and have had no problems with their products or services, so I just bit the bullet and placed an order.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wow! It's just gone out of stock after I placed my order!