Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Heat tape
    By Quinsfan in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM
  2. Heat Tape = Polymide Tape/Kapton Tape
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 03:52 PM
  3. heat tape....
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM
  4. Ran out of heat tape
    By jennywren in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  5. Mug heat tape.
    By bikertec in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat Tape leaves stain on Sub Mug!!!

Hi there
    I've had a quick look at threads and can't see anything in relation to my query.

Basically once I remove mug from the Heat press and take off the Heat tape, the tape leaves a yellowish tinted stain embedded into the mug.

I am pressing a standard Sub mug for 180sec at 180deg.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where did you get the tape from Martinx ?

I only ask as I had a similar problem when I first started doing mugs. I had bought some cheap 'heat tape' from fleabay thinking they were all the same .............. they obviously were not as after buying some from a reputable source I have never had the problem again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.

I actually bought from BMS and the mugs! To be honest the tape has been sitting in the garage for a few months so not sure if the cold has effected it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have used tape from BMS and others and not had any problems with it so I don't think it will be the tape then. Tape should have a long shelf life so the cold "shouldn't" affect it.

Yellow (in my opinion) means a burn, so the heat and time could be a factor ................. what does the image look like after cooking? Is it really bold and is there hardly anything left on the transfer paper?

I would experiment and lower the temp and time by 10 on a mug .......... use the same mug by taping a small image to it and then covering with paper, have a look at it then reduce by 10 and tape an image somewhere else on the mug and cover with paper. Repeat until things are happy as all times and temps could vary (plus you'll only waste one mug).

That said, if you're still having a problem after this, come back and re-post ..................... have you got another roll of tape to try just inc case?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think your right, will have to play with the temp and timings. The image on the mug is pretty good (without being an expert) and the image left on the paper is still visible.
    Should the image on the paper after use be faint then? Unfortunately I haven't got a spare roll of tape but will put your advice into practice first.

Thanks for your help Adam. Will let you know how I go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the same problem in the past (particularly when using a mug oven because the entire mug gets hot).

I've tried heat tape from everyone who claims theirs to be the best, but I've always returned to the brown tape sold by Revolution (http://www.revolutiontransfers.co.uk...hp?prod=K-6338). It's more expensive than most other heat tape, but it's the only one I feel I can rely on.

There are many reasons to tweak settings, but working around heat tape is not what I'd call the best use of my time. I use the other tapes sold by other suppliers for all other items (anything that isn't a mug) to help offset the cost of the expensive tape.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinx View Post
    Should the image on the paper after use be faint then?
    it depends really, I have done mugs when there's hardly anything left on the paper and then the next day you can see there's still a lot of ink left that hasn't been transfered - but both mugs have been fine!

Asking about the paper just indicates if the ink is being transfered correctly to the mug, and how much is left afterwards. From the sound of it, and it's a little hard to solve without images/photos etc .............. it seems a heat/time problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing how much image should remain on the paper once pressed, the image is still quite clear on mine when peeled away! I'm pretty new to this game but love it.
    I'm a graphic designer by trade and this is a new area I can really get my teeth stuck in to but need to get the balance perfect.

Cheers for the tip JSR. Will let you know once I have got the problem of the yellowish stains lol!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinx View Post
    Without knowing how much image should remain on the paper once pressed, the image is still quite clear on mine when peeled away! I'm pretty new to this game but love it.
    I'm a graphic designer by trade and this is a new area I can really get my teeth stuck in to but need to get the balance perfect.
    It can depend on the paper and the item you're pressing. Some papers are "high release" papers (typically designed for fabric items), such as TexPrint, and the paper can look very feint after pressing. Other papers are "low release" papers (typically designed for hard items), such as TruPix, which can leave quite a bit of ink behind (leading some people to think they could get away with pressing two items). The longer you press with a low release paper, the more feint the image will be left behind - but, even if a lot is left behind, you may still get a good transfer for a hard item (like a mug).

In short, there's no clear answer for you. If you press for too long at too high a temperature, however, there's a good chance the paper will start to turn brown. That doesn't necessarily mean that it'll leave brown marks on the mug (although this is more likely on a mug with "soft" coating - like a colour-change mug), it just means you could get away with lowering the temperature.

On tape that has turned brown on me before, it happened no matter how low the temperature went. The main problem I had was on mugs with what I call "soft" coatings (colour change mugs were the worst, and some old steins). The problem wasn't so apparent on a mug with a "hard" coating - which is what I use to refer to dishwasher safe coatings (like RN or Orca).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem when I first used my mug press and tape, all from Martin at BMS. Solution was - too hot. The mug press was running a fair bit hotter than indicated, so a bit of trial and error and job done.

DJ
    Last edited by djhutton; 07-01-2011 at 05:19 PM.