Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Heat tape
    By Quinsfan in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-06-2021, 05:52 PM
  2. Heat Tape = Polymide Tape/Kapton Tape
    By pisquee in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 02:52 PM
  3. heat tape....
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 11:45 PM
  4. Ran out of heat tape
    By jennywren in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-06-2012, 06:13 PM
  5. Mug heat tape.
    By bikertec in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If reducing the temp doesn't solve it let us know and we can replace the tape, if necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to know if different heat resistant tape have different maximum temperatures and, if so, what they are. No one ever seems to state an upper temperature limit when selling heat resistant tape. I've seen heat resistant tapes that are brown, transparent, green, blue, etc. Does the colour indicate the temperature range?

In my mind, tape sold for our purposes should withstand at least 240°C for an indefinite period - preferably higher temperatures than that. If you're supposed to press mugs at 180°C and the tape stains the mug because the press was at 200°C then, in my mind, that tape isn't good enough.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinx View Post
    Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.

I actually bought from here BMS and the mugs! To be honest the tape has been sitting in the garage for a few months so not sure if the cold has effected it?
    not from here :) we dont sell anything :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying to locate information about the different colour heat tapes, but I haven't yet found anything definitive.

What I have found suggests to me that most coloured tapes (blue, green, clear, etc) are polyester tapes. The brown type sold by Revolution is most likely a polyimide tape - which is designed to resist higher (and lower) temperatures than regular polyester tapes.

Some tapes use an acrylic adhesive, others use a silicon adhesive - and it may be the adhesive that's leaving the mark behind.

I'm still looking for a colour chart that we can use for comparison.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, thank you all so much for your help and advice. After playing around with the temp and time settings I have finally rectified the problem. I think the Heat press was a bit too hot.

All the best

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's of any interest to you, I've just started using this heat tape: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=380186817512.

I wasn't too sure about it at first because it works out to about £2.34 per roll, but it's working out quite well. It's thinner than the other tape I've been using (just 5mm wide) but I'm finding that helpful because I end up with less of it on the mug.

I've only been doing china mugs since getting the tape in, so I can't offer any long-term usage information but I've had no "stain" marks on any of the mugs so I'm guessing it's the same type of material as the tape I've been buying from Revolution.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not often you see someone with over 20,000 sales on e-bay with 100% percent positive feedback! They must be doing something right ............... I might get some tape to try it out!

Thanks for the info
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!
    (contact Admin for more details)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found them a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't want to post until I'd got some in and tried it out. I've used the tape on about 30 china mugs and, so far so good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I always use this tape. very pleased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not been able to locate a definitive chart so far but as near as I can tell there are two different types of common heat tape.

The one we see most often and that's available in various colours (transparent, red, green, and blue) is PET (polyester) which has a recommended maximum temperature of 204°C. The brownish one we've been discussing is PI (polyimide) which has a recommended maximum temperature of 260°C.

If this is correct, and in the absence of any official chart, then it would explain why going slightly over temperature might leave a residue if you're using PET but wouldn't if you used PI.

Take this information for what you will. If I ever find a definitive chart, I'll post back.