Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. My First Canvas - is it ok ?
    By NikGrey in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 23-03-2014, 12:44 AM
  2. Canvas
    By Ronski53 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
  3. Canvas
    By R.Prints in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-06-2013, 09:06 PM
  4. New venture into Canvas perhaps?
    By TonyM in forum Misc. Printing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
  5. sublimation canvas
    By pesketta in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canvas help

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Apologies if there is an existing topic, have looked but may have missed it.

I would love to be able to do canvases, not for anyone else necessarily but to have my own pics up and maybe a few for friends. I have found canvas and frames but am concerned that it is not a simple as presented. Don't you need some sort of stuff (love the technical descriptions!!) to stretch the canvas onto frames? Is it really something that can be done from home without huge canvas stretchy machines and industrial staple guns?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Just buy yourself a nice set of canvas stretcher pliers from Amazon maybe

Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Hi theemmanewman
    Where did you find the canvas and frames please, I take it it's a4 stuff or do you large format due sub?
    regards, tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Quote Originally Posted by theemmanewman
    Apologies if there is an existing topic, have looked but may have missed it.

I would love to be able to do canvases, not for anyone else necessarily but to have my own pics up and maybe a few for friends. I have found canvas and frames but am concerned that it is not a simple as presented. Don't you need some sort of stuff (love the technical descriptions!!) to stretch the canvas onto frames? Is it really something that can be done from home without huge canvas stretchy machines and industrial staple guns?
    I've done a couple for myself. As I'm limited to size by the width of the printer and size of the heat press, the canvases aren't particularly big. There would seem to be less of an issue with stretching at this size and, so far, I've just used my fingers and a staple gun. If you're into doing many of them a day, you might want to invest in pliers but if you're just doing some for yourself, I'd say give it a go. You haven't got anything to lose.

This was my first attempt:

It's on my wall and looks very nice indeed.

This is my staple gun which cost around £20.00 from Amazon.co.uk:

It's fine for doing occasional canvases but if you're going to be doing many in a day, you might want an electric one. I decided against electric for now so I can do the canvases without being tied to a power outlet.

If you're able to do larger canvases there may be more involved. I found this video today that shows someone doing a larger canvas: http://www.johnannesley.com/chapterone.mp4

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Do you actually mirror print then heat press or print directly please JSR
    regards, tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Quote Originally Posted by GoldRapt
    Do you actually mirror print then heat press or print directly please JSR
    It's just dye-sub as normal.

I print to the widest width my printer can do (on 13" roll paper) and as long as my press will press (15"), then press to the canvas - in the same way you'd do any fabric (like a cushion cover). Once it's cool, assemble the frame (I'm using BMS stock at present), lay the frame on the upturned canvas, pull up the sides and pin with staples.

You buy your canvas (in my case from BMS) in sheets based on this width of your chosen frame. It's supplied three inches wider than the frame (so you have enough to wrap around the frame) and 20 inches long - so you can trim to suit.

If you're interested, you can buy canvas and frames from BMS at a good price: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/subli...ion-canvas.htm For £20 you could get yourself a bit of a selection to experiment with. I did.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Hi,

This is my main business - canvas printing.

If your only going to do it on a hobby basis then you should get yourself a pair of pliers as shown above. You can easily eBay for canvas stretching pliers but i do suggest you get a decent pair around £40.00, this might seem pricey but you wont regret it! There are some very cheap n nasty pliers out there that give awful results when stretching. I wouldnt really suggest you use your fingers, it might save you a few £££ but it'll be a pain (literally) and you wont get a good stretch either.

You dont need a machine unless you're going into it as a business! they cost a fortune!

Again for a hobby, then use a staple gun like above, no need for electric ones, the manual one is more than suffice imho. I use a Bosch re-chargeable stapler, awesome at £30.00 too. If you're going to up the ante and start doing more and more then get a cordless stapler and dont get a Stanley one! Theyre crap and last a few months if that. Cordless because theres nothing worse than having a cable to contend with. Rechargeables last me all day on a single charge and im using it for 8 hours constant (maybe ill plug it in for half an hour for lunch).

If your stretcher bars dont come with the wooden wedges then it might be an idea to buy some. These fit into the hole in the frame and when youve finished stretching the canvas using the pliers, get a hammer and tap the wedges in and give it a few taps - nothing huge!! and repeat that all around, this further stretches the canvas and you'll be able to get the canvas drum-tight. This will stop it sagging/rippling, and if it does ripple in the future then just tap the wooden wedges again and the canvas will re-stretch

If you need anymore info im happy to help.

Dave.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Thanks for the info Dave, all very interesting.

Do you have a link to a video showing how the corners are folded, this would be vry useful - I did have a great video but lost it!

Cheers

John
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canvas help

Try Lyon for all your supplies, bars, pliers and staplegun etc I do a lot of canvases in my photo shop although not as JSR does as I use an Epson wide format printer with FujiHunt artist canvas, I spray finely with a couple of layers of frog juice (very finely as I hate the plastic effect) and stretch by hand. Takes minutes.

I have samples made up in the shop window of various ages, the oldest being nearly 4 years....a bad example of shop window you may think but it shows the longevity of the print. Absolutely no fading.

The corners are easy peasy, everywhere I go I like to check other methods out, if I can find a video I once saw (maybe on you tube), i'll send the link.
    From memory tho I did mine slightly different and the corners are quite flat and neatly folded.
    If you are doing it for yourself i'm sure it will give you a huge sense of achievement with your own artwork and wrapping, possibly something you can add to your business too.
    Mandy

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Canvas help

can any one post some links to places where I can buy some gear for straching. I need frames etc...
    also can you tell me whats the max. price I should pay to somone for canvas printing. I am looking in my local printing shops :) so I wont get screw ;) I am looking for A3 and A2 sies.

thanx
    PAul

<-- How To Print Stuff BLOG