Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. silicone sheet cleaning
    By Oaten in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-07-2014, 01:07 PM
  2. Cleaning ?
    By Littleshark in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 11:31 PM
  3. cleaning out bathroom
    By bigj2552 in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-09-2012, 02:13 PM
  4. Accounting Solutions For Online Stores
    By pressprintnow.com in forum Software
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23-11-2011, 11:45 PM
  5. D88 CLEANING CARTRIDGE
    By AJLA in forum Printers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cleaning solutions

I'd like to discuss products people are using for successfully cleaning their print heads?

I use isopropyl alcohol mixed with distlilled water, but occasionaly use very diluted household bleach.

I'm always reading about Simple Green and came across this article:

http://www.jesseheap.com/dye-sublima...gged-heads.php

It can be bought directly from the company's UK website, but was wondering if anyone has tried this solution?

Also where can I buy ammonia?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy my ammonia from Boots - Household Ammonia - I'd like to purchase in larger quantities, anyone know a wholesale source?

There's been quite a lot of discussion about Simple Green on the T-Shirt Forum
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Boots..cheers.

here is the link for Simple green in the UK:
    http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/3/compo...art/Itemid,27/

Expensive postage though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... good to have this one centralised IMHO...

IPA was introduced to me way over 30 years ago as a young apprentice technician....

It was used then (as it's used now) as a general electronics and optical cleanser. Particularly for video head and other sensitive equipment.

Now; on another thread it was sugested IPA can affect rubber seals... Not doubting the poster's integrity or experience but that's really not my experience. IPA has been the solvent of choice on the rubber components of tape recorders for generations... And it's 'what you use' in the TV industry to degrease any contaminated rubber components...

In fact I recall some many years ago filming on oil rigs where the 'solvent atmosphere' was known to affect rubbers. - And IPA was the cleaning solvent advised. Personally I've even used it on gas-seals in welding equipment and compressors with no ill-effects...

Love to hear more about this one!

Ammonia can be had from most pharmacists - explain your needs and they'll get you a litre or two no problem; possibly even off the shelf! According to 'Stitch up' on the 'blocked again' thread Boots do it!

I've come across some real horrors though... think I've posted it before but I know one eijit who put cellulose thinners through his CIS! Melted it! And most of the rest of the printer! Acetone (nail varnish remover) is another wrecking fluid...

IPA - I get through loads of it! Use it on lenses, tape heads, circuit boards... You need to watch nowadays at it will remove water-based (acryllic) paint so not so good on cases... It takes the writing off!

There are more Hi-Tech solvents such as Vertrel which might have advantages... But most of the printer cleaning solutions I've seen seem to be some variation of IPA and Ammonia - possibly laced with a little coloured dye!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that.

I'm sure I have the ingredients to mix a similar product, it's just the ammonia I'm a little unsure of. I have IPA 99%, distilled water and ammonia from boots. All I need some guidance on is the proportions.

As far as IPA causing rubber seals to harden, I got that from reading many threads on TSF and from the guy who manufactures the Jet Genie.

John
    Last edited by Stitch Up; 06-05-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will I get interrogated by the pharmacist when buying ammonia? I got the third degree when buying IPA and syringes! It's to unblock a printer...honestly....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The usual solution you hear about for printers is 10% ammonia solution to 90% IPA John... You could pull that whole solution down with distilled water if you were worried.

I tend to get my IPA in 25L lots via ebay from 'ready reagents' ; might be worth seeing if they can source ammonia?

But the boots stuff should have a concentration on the bottle? I'd be tempted just to go by volume myself.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonerGary View Post
    Will I get interrogated by the pharmacist when buying ammonia? I got the third degree when buying IPA and syringes! It's to unblock a printer...honestly....
    Yeah; they'll do that ... IPA is also used as a topical disinfectant. And it's a volatile solvent; they need to cover their backs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go, Boots Household Ammonia - £1.79 for 500ml 'off the shelf'.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Househ...-500ml_923908/

It has ammonia solution 9.5%. Maybe that means 90.5% water/9.5% Ammonia? I'm not sure! What I can say is, it smellsa very strong and when I have used it, it easily breaks down clogged inks!

So based on that info, what rpoportion would you mix the ingredients I have:

Ammonia solution 9.5%
    IPA 99%
    Distilled water

I want a solution I can use regularly for flushing the Dupont textile ink lines, dampers & printhead (Dupont textile inks are water based). Also to clean the capping station, wiper blade and rubber seals.

The other thing I've 'heard' about IPA is that it can delaminate the printhead so you can see why I'm cautious!!

John

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've gleaned this info from another site:

-25 ml isopropyl alcohol
    -3 ml glycerin or propylene glycol
    -distilled water up to 100 ml
    -1 small teaspoon of ammonia.

The glycerin prevents rapid evaporation of moisture inside the print heads during the head cleaning.

As for the ammonia, one head cleaner manufacturer claims that ammonia leaves a thin film on the heads and the self proclaimed pharmacist who shared the above recipe states that ammonia doesn't leave any residue.

Don't beathe in ammonia, wear a mask.
    Never combine bleach and ammonia, vinegar, or any other acid because the fumes are deadly.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4793255_mix-...s-cleaner.html

Another site suggests using compressed air through the print heads. Jessops should still sell cans of Kenair.
    Last edited by GoonerGary; 06-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.