Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Mains generator ..
    By Volusian in forum Heat Presses
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 27-08-2013, 11:23 PM
  2. KEEP CALM AND CRACK ON generator :)
    By Paul in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 09:03 AM
  3. inverter generator
    By smitch6 in forum Mug Presses & Ovens
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 02:13 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using a generator

Is it safe to use a generator to power my equiptment - laptop, craft robo, ricoh 3300, a4 heat press and a mug press or do i need to get some sort of voltage stabiliser?

Thanks
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it'd prob be safe but most good genne's have a stabiliser built in
    but if yours hasn't it'd defo get a surge protector at the very least

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping you and your customers safe, 240v & 110v

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks, i was planning on using a surge protector but didnt know if there was anything else i needed as i dont want to blow up all me equiptment

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SJL View Post
    ok thanks, i was planning on using a surge protector but didnt know if there was anything else i needed as i dont want to blow up all me equiptment
    The generator needs to be of sufficient CONTINUOUS output (and be aware that many are commonly mis-sold on their peak rated output) to run everything comfortably...

Add up the wattages of ALL the equipment you might have running at the same time, add 10% - And you have a minimum figure to start working with. The more headroom you have the better... 10% minimum, 20% or more is better.

I.T. Equipment needs surge protection; and some generators (cheaper ones generally) aren't suited to the purpose at all as their output is a long way from the proper, stable 50Hz Sine-Wave -

The presses should be ok though there might be issues with the controllers; surge protection is adviseable. The main problem will be the load...

If using the equipment in public, at markets etc, you may have to get your head around The electricity at work regulations 1989 - In fact you may have to anyway since they'll apply!

There are other issues to be considered - particularly working in public spaces. Earth bonding on location for instance; ensuring and maintaining safe equi-potential zones etc...