Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. 16x16 photo slate needed
    By Ricky in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-07-2014, 09:49 AM
  2. Photo Rock/Slate
    By MikeyMike in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-02-2014, 10:52 PM
  3. First Photo Slate what do you think??
    By marksbananas in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 16-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Slate

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photo Slate

Hi all,

I have been having limited success with photo slate but would like some advice on how others are using it please.
    I have tried a few methods and have not been totally happy.
    My results are that if I press for 6 mins at 190 with a silicone pad the image is vey wishy washy.
    If I warm the slate first as advised and press for 6 mins the result is better, BUT the edges seem to scorch (definite browning on a light background) and the paper is well and truly stuck fast on the edges. It can be removed but it is a hell of a job.
    I then tried a lower heat 170 for longer 8 mins, this had a beautiful edge , but the centre did not seem as vibrant as the edges.
    Finally I tried Warming the slate. 8 mins at 170 with the pad and then I left it without removing the paper, (on the side not in the press) for a long time. Till it cooled. This was my best result, but a bit of a palava.
    What methods do other members find the best for slate printing?

BR

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rule of thumb is if I have to add the date, the armpit temperature of a seagull and press something standing on one leg just to get it to work - is to walk away. If you sell one and waste two its not worth it. I know that doesnt help you but I thought I would throw that in the ring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, you may want to search the forum for other threads on "slates". You may not find a solution, but you may get a heads-up on what others have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by gstk View Post
    My rule of thumb is if I have to add the date, the armpit temperature of a seagull and press something standing on one leg just to get it to work - is to walk away. If you sell one and waste two its not worth it. I know that doesnt help you but I thought I would throw that in the ring.
    Agree 100%. Agree double that if the blank is expensive in the first place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Tony, you may want to search the forum for other threads on "slates". You may not find a solution, but you may get a heads-up on what others have tried.

Agree 100%. Agree double that if the blank is expensive in the first place.
    Actually thats a vaild point also. If the item is 60p then you are more likely to have a few tries. If the item is more than a couple of quid then it soon becomes not worth the hassle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did 2 of these yesterday, one with texprint 120gsm paper and the other with Trupix. Preheated slate as it is a material that's takes time to warm up and also preheated the silicon rubber so both were hot to minimise warm up time. When slate was hot I remove from the press with gloves, laid it face down on the image and used 4 pieces of heat tape to hold image in place. Turned upside down, laid in heat press, covered with silicon rubber and engaged press - medium pressure. Pressed at 195 for 300 seconds plus 1 minute (max time on our press is 300 seconds). Opened press, and removed paper and laid slate on something to cool. Neither Texprint or Trupix paper stuck and paper came off easily.

Tried a third with same temp & time but didn't preheat anything and image wasn't as good, so if you don't preheat you should press for an extra couple of minutes to allow the heat to get into the product.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    I did 2 of these yesterday, one with texprint 120gsm paper and the other with Trupix. Preheated slate as it is a material that's takes time to warm up and also preheated the silicon rubber so both were hot to minimise warm up time. When slate was hot I remove from the press with gloves, laid it face down on the image and used 4 pieces of heat tape to hold image in place. Turned upside down, laid in heat press, covered with silicon rubber and engaged press - medium pressure. Pressed at 195 for 300 seconds plus 1 minute (max time on our press is 300 seconds). Opened press, and removed paper and laid slate on something to cool. Neither Texprint or Trupix paper stuck and paper came off easily.

Tried a third with same temp & time but didn't preheat anything and image wasn't as good, so if you don't preheat you should press for an extra couple of minutes to allow the heat to get into the product.
    Would love to try them but I glazed over after the "preheated silicon rubber" bit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a lot of wasted blanks my main problem was paper sticking using trupix and a cheap paper i had knocking around the cheap paper stuck less but image was awful in the end 6 mins at 195 on a really light pressure but to be honest i havnt enough faith in these to try selling them properly. i have one on the shelf in the shop but ive not bothered putting them in my online shop

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasted all of the ones I got trying to get a decent result :(

Shame, as they look good once done

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the constructive reply PD
    As you say it is a question of confidence and getting it right.
    Thing is I seemed to fluke my first one?
    I sold it at £12 so considering the blank was £4 I am happy.
    I did one for a guy at work as a memorial for his mom and I have had orders for 16 more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I ordered 18 and have received them now.
    I have made notes of times and pressures etc on the lat three and i would only be really happy selling one of them?
    I know what you mean about the sticking paper. It is as if you have to cook it so much to get the image the paper melts to the surface on the edges?
    I think the secret is to heat the slate first and press at a lower heat with less pressure for a longer time.
    I do know that when one gets it right the resulting image is a beautiful memorial.
    PD would you please send me your results?
    I will do the same, with my pressing time and temps with comments.
    I would really like to get this right and strongly disagree that it is not worth the hastle.
    A quality product is always worth the time and effort to get it right IMHO.
    Turned upside down, laid in heat press, covered with silicon rubber and engaged press - medium pressure. Pressed at 195 for 300 seconds
    Martin,
    Do you mean you had the paper side down in the press?
    I cant see that working at all?
    I do want to get this right as the resulting photos especially in black and white with a black fade to white can look quite stunning.
    BR
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    i am not that happy about the colours i had but can not say i wasted them. All 100% usable and displayed with proudnes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG