Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. new smashproof mug boxes and more...
    By Paul in forum Press Releases/Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 03:59 AM
  2. Sold 200 Smashproof Mug Boxes
    By lemontdetroit84 in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 10:31 PM
  3. mouse mat shipping
    By bigj2552 in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 17-01-2013, 10:26 AM
  4. Drop shipping
    By jennywren in forum Copyright and other legal matters
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said, now I've watched the video, I'm not sure that these boxes from subli are the same as those from subli-supplies. My white ones are white on the inside as well as the outside.

Maybe they're not as strong as they used to be, then...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, it was from a packaging company - I'll see if I can root the company out when I get home..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30grams is the weight of my current type and I can get them in brown and white options. A poly boxed taped and labelled I had down as 20grams hence the 10g more. 100grams seems like one bulky box to me. I had bought some of the SS boxes a couple of years ago and they are much the same as the ones I have now.

I find cardboard boxes more robust than poly boxes in my opinion as I have both in stock. and always wrap the poly box in thin card after to protect the polystyrene. Much easier to keep them in stock as well. I had about 600 poly boxes left over from an order earlier in the year and they have been a pain ever since.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd trust the 100g ones I have here with anything. Not sure I'd want to risk china mugs in 30g card boxes - clearly the ones being sold today aren't as good as the original ones.

But it's good that we have the choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I'd trust the 100g ones I have here with anything. Not sure I'd want to risk china mugs in 30g card boxes - clearly the ones being sold today aren't as good as the original ones.

But it's good that we have the choice.
    Our mug boxes weigh approx 80g. I'm not sure who supplies the 30 gram ones, but its not us.

Many thanks

Steve
    Last edited by subli; 11-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I have some of these here from subli-supplies, but the reason they've not all been used is that they *do* cost more for delivery depending on what I send:
    • Sending a china mug costs 31p less in a polystyrene box than in a smashproof box (53p less if sending two).
    • Sending two 10oz mugs costs 56p less in polystyrene boxes than in smashproof boxes.
    • Sending three 10oz mugs costs £2.51 less in polystyrene boxes than in smashproof boxes (because there's a weight limit on 2nd class post that's exceeded by the smashproof boxes).
    • And if you're sending six 10oz mugs by Special Delivery, you'll have a coronary when you see the price difference. (£9.05 in polystyrene boxes, £22.70 in smashproof boxes.)
    I originally bought these boxes in based on the claim that they wouldn't cost more for delivery, but I've hardly used them because they do cost more for delivery for most of my shipments. Buying them in quantities of 100 just makes no sense for me because I can't use many of them when comparing shipping costs with polystyrene boxes.

I love the smashproof boxes because they're very strong and durable, but they are just too heavy to replace polystyrene boxes for anything except single 10oz/11oz mug shipments.
    Hi JSR,

Thanks for that.

Our smashproof mug shipping / gift boxes weigh around 80 grams.

With regards you having bought these based on the claim that they will not cost more for postage, you will see that on the website we state:
    Save money on postage - under 500g including mug. (With our mugs).

We do not currently supply china mugs, we supply 10 oz Orca mugs & Rhino mugs, therefore this refers to these mugs - and we're referring to sending a single mug, not multiples. As you state - it may cost a bit more to send a bone china mug in a smashproof than it would in a poly box (by my rough calculations the bone china mug would need to weigh less than 225g for this to be the case) and it may cost more when sending multiples to the same address in smashproofs by RM rather than poly boxes, due to the RM weight limits etc. There are things that can be done at times though to get around these, for example, you say it's £22.70 if you send 6 mugs in smashproof boxes, yes, as it's over the 2k limit - however if you sent 5 as one parcel, and one separately - it's £14.95. Still more than in poly boxes, granted.

Personally I wouldn't advise sending multiples to the same address through RM anyway, especially if you're doing a reasonable volume. A couple maybe, but if you're talking about sending 6 at a time, depending on volume you may get better rates, not to mention less faffing about going to the post office with parcels, to use a courier instead.

You would need to work out the cost of the poly boxes, and the outer (if you're sending with an outer) and the cost of breakages over a period of time, against the price of our smashproof mug shipping /gift boxes, to work out whether or not it is actually cheaper to send single bone china mugs in poly boxes. I would prefer to pay a bit more in packaging to ensure no breakages, because when a mug needs to be re-done, it's not just the price of the blank mug, it's the time & effort, paper, ink, electricity & hassle.

Many thanks

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was only last week I sent via RM 8 10oz mugs in one parcel using the smash proof boxes & the cost was £8.95.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by subli View Post
    Personally I wouldn't advise sending multiples to the same address through RM anyway, especially if you're doing a reasonable volume. A couple maybe, but if you're talking about sending 6 at a time, depending on volume you may get better rates, not to mention less faffing about going to the post office with parcels, to use a courier instead.
    That's a different issue. Individual shipping boxes are designed for low-volume shipments. To most of us, the lowest sensible courier cost is £8.40 (inc VAT), which means only weights above 2Kg would make sense to go by courier. Everything else is Royal Mail - and that's where individual packaging comes into it. And, hence, the reason why the weight of that packaging is paramount - particularly if the weight of the boxes throws the price up by a significant amount (as it does if sending 3 or 6 mugs).

Quote Originally Posted by subli View Post
    You would need to work out the cost of the poly boxes, and the outer (if you're sending with an outer) and the cost of breakages over a period of time, against the price of our smashproof mug shipping /gift boxes, to work out whether or not it is actually cheaper to send single bone china mugs in poly boxes. I would prefer to pay a bit more in packaging to ensure no breakages, because when a mug needs to be re-done, it's not just the price of the blank mug, it's the time & effort, paper, ink, electricity & hassle.
    You're labouring under the false premise that anything except your smashproof box must lead to breakages. As I've not had any breakages when sending 10oz or China mugs in polystyrene boxes, it doesn't factor into the cost. Nor do I use any "outers". The only thing that factors into the cost is weight.

I understand that you have to justify the smashproof boxes over the polystyrene ones, because it's those that you sell, but it's wrong to give the impression that anything except your boxes will automatically lead to breakages.

The smashproof boxes used to be the best of both worlds when those 2-way ones were available (you could ship two 10oz mugs in the same box, thus mitigating the weight a little). Pity they aren't still available.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian M View Post
    It was only last week I sent via RM 8 10oz mugs in one parcel using the smash proof boxes & the cost was £8.95.
    You should use a courier for weights over 2Kg - cost £8.38 (inc VAT) for anything up to 30Kg, and they'll pick it up from you, and you get online tracking all the way. Much better than Royal Mail for weights over 2Kg.

When sending by courier, you can use whatever cheap boxes you like inside some other packing box that you've received with your supplies, and make a good saving. I've often sent 50 China mugs individually packed in the 17p boxes from BMS inside a larger box. No breakages. Not one.

With RM, you'd be paying £8.95 to send just six mugs in smashproof boxes but only £7.18 if sending in polystyrene boxes. Never mind sending 8.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jonathan, the reason I sent this batch was because the courier I use doesn't like delivering to this address. It's one of those houses in the middle of nowhere but, RM never have a problem with it. However I do really make sure they are well protected. All other times I do use a courier but, as I said this address usually causes problems with couriers. The main thing is the customer is happy with this way & doesn't mind the cost at all.