Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Blue turns purple when pressed
    By mbat2 in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 22-11-2015, 12:18 PM
  2. Black printing "faint" - coming out brown when pressed
    By Pea in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-06-2015, 08:14 PM
  3. First Vinyl T-shirt Pressed
    By harlequeen in forum Vinyl & Flock
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
  4. Ink bleeding when pressed
    By theemmanewman in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
  5. Black Ink is Dull after being Pressed
    By Yamman in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mug already pressed

If I have a mug which is already pressed, can I then add another word to it later, or will the original design be affected?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Paula

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You might be able to if you mask the printed area off. The potential issue is that the printed area will start to sublimate again and could well bleed.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can put the mug in the press such that the already pressed part is out of the heat blanket then it should work ok.

Mark

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Paula

Once pressed I would worry that the quality of the pre-decorated element of the design would deteriorate when heated for a second time.

Might it be better to setup a digital artwork template that's easy to edit with different names or text before the papers are printed in the first instance? If you're using a standard inkjet setup and mug press this should provide a tolerably efficient production flow.

Alex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thoughts here. I'm not so sure that it would make a difference. Lets think about it...

The sublimation process is to get the ink off the paper under heat and pressure to the substrate. Once on the substrate it bonds permanently with the polymer coating, so once it has bonded permanently, why would it 'unbond'? If we think of a different product, say a two sided FRP keyring (Unisub), then one successful way of printing these is to print one side, then turn over and print on the other side. If the sublimation inks were to 'unbond' then this would happen on the other side of the two sided product (and it doesn't).

So logic would suggest that this should be entirely possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Interesting thoughts here. I'm not so sure that it would make a difference. Lets think about it...

The sublimation process is to get the ink off the paper under heat and pressure to the substrate. Once on the substrate it bonds permanently with the polymer coating, so once it has bonded permanently, why would it 'unbond'? If we think of a different product, say a two sided FRP keyring (Unisub), then one successful way of printing these is to print one side, then turn over and print on the other side. If the sublimation inks were to 'unbond' then this would happen on the other side of the two sided product (and it doesn't).

So logic would suggest that this should be entirely possible.
    good point! I pressed some mugs for test before and some of the mugs was already printed on one side. after second press first picture on other side was as good as new :)
    same with keyrings. press one side then other one. always both sides are good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it once the image on the mug came of the mug onto the paper very slightly not enough to notice on the mug.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If got a spare mug that's gone wrong then try it on that, this way you'll have a fair idea

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, I was doing a mug for a friend then after I did it she asked could I put her name on it! I might try it just to see.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Done this before with mugs and bottles and the ink will come off onto the mug blanket which shows that the process is starting again and the ink will come off. You can cover over the already printed section but it's likely to blur.

Back to the original question, are you trying to have mugs ready made and add names etc? or are you looking at adding to mugs rather than throwing away? I assume the former and would therefore suggest Listawoods advice of having a template ready to adjust.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!