Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Coasters
    By GoonerGary in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 15-02-2014, 01:08 PM
  2. Glass Coasters
    By pisquee in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-10-2012, 09:15 PM
  3. Looking for glass coasters
    By JSR in forum Member to Member Offers/Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 12:29 PM
  4. Coasters
    By Andrew in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20-04-2010, 11:03 PM
  5. Glass Coasters & Place Mats
    By Justin in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glass coasters?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Glass products have been going steadily downhill over the last year or two. They used to be fantastic, but now they're not worth doing.

Thanks for that link, Jimbo. I might look at them in the new year.
    I think you're bang on Jon. We had some glass coasters in, and indeed still have some in the warehouse. But they're just awful! Overspray being the major issue. Saying that, our chopping boards are actually great and I'll stand by that as I have one at home. A year on from printing it, it still looks brilliant!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty@BMS View Post
    I think you're bang on Jon. We had some glass coasters in, and indeed still have some in the warehouse. But they're just awful! Overspray being the major issue. Saying that, our chopping boards are actually great and I'll stand by that as I have one at home. A year on from printing it, it still looks brilliant!
    Have your chopping boards changed since you first got them in? The 265mm ones are the ones that I say aren't a patch on the slightly larger ones I used to buy from Listawood - the ink just doesn't go through the white backing on the 265mm ones anywhere nearly as much as it does on the larger ones.

If yours have changed then I could be tempted to try them again - but I still have half a dozen of the other ones here, so I don't want to spend a small fortune on finding out that they're the same.

Thanks for any extra info you have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think from memory Scott has the large one and that's what he's referring to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Have your chopping boards changed since you first got them in? The 265mm ones are the ones that I say aren't a patch on the slightly larger ones I used to buy from Listawood - the ink just doesn't go through the white backing on the 265mm ones anywhere nearly as much as it does on the larger ones."

Strewth ...and I thought that I was the only one having a problem with these glass chopping boards. I bought a few and you can see that the coating is not even and the image doesn't sublimate as well as the old Listawood ones. Its expensive when I have to ship these out to our island pay 80 odd % duty and then can't use them. I have just told my customers that they are not up to the quality that they expect and have withdrawn them. Maybe we ought to have a list of faulty products so that others can avoid them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swimwivsquid View Post
    Strewth ...and I thought that I was the only one having a problem with these glass chopping boards. I bought a few and you can see that the coating is not even and the image doesn't sublimate as well as the old Listawood ones. Its expensive when I have to ship these out to our island pay 80 odd % duty and then can't use them. I have just told my customers that they are not up to the quality that they expect and have withdrawn them. Maybe we ought to have a list of faulty products so that others can avoid them.
    That's roughly what happened here. I was getting a semi-regular order for glass chopping boards and, at one point, I'd run out of the Listawood ones and the BMS 265mm ones had just been introduced so I recommended them to my customer (convinced them to go for the smaller size and everything).

I bought a box of about 20 in from BMS and then realised to my horror that they don't print the same. I couldn't use them. I had to rush an order from Listawood, which resulted in delaying the customer, explaining to them that the new ones were no good, and ending up significantly out of pocket on the deal. Since all the messing about, the customer hasn't returned. I seem to lose customers whenever products are messed about (like my customer for coasters with green baize backing hasn't come back since I had to raise the price because I can't get the baize separately anymore and the ones supplied with backing are badly misaligned).

You'd think I had too many customers or something the way I end up losing them due to products changing. It's very frustrating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    I think from memory Scott has the large one and that's what he's referring to.
    Do you get the larger ones from a different manufacturer to the smaller ones, then?

The chopping board itself seems to be okay, it's just the ink-receptive coating on the back that seems to be on backwards or something for the 265mm ones. When you finish pressing them, there's more print on the underneath than what you can see through the glass - unlike the Listawood ones which are vibrant and fully-saturated when seen through the glass, but almost white on the underside.

There's certainly a different coating involved. There must be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you get the larger ones from a different manufacturer to the smaller ones, then?

The chopping board itself seems to be okay, it's just the ink-receptive coating on the back that seems to be on backwards or something for the 265mm ones. When you finish pressing them, there's more print on the underneath than what you can see through the glass - unlike the Listawood ones which are vibrant and fully-saturated when seen through the glass, but almost white on the underside.

Yep thats what I found. I tried a couple more to see if I was doing something wrong and they looked better on the printed side but when viewed through the glass they were faded and uneven.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have any of the suppliers been complaining to the manufacturers about the poor quality of some of these glass products? Listawood did agree the coasters were pretty bad when we sent them photos and said they would pass the message on to the suppliers. I guess if no one tells the manufacturers their products are no good they'll never improve. We had to use the coasters for an urgent order as we couldn't find anything else - and we actually had to file them square!

We haven't tried the worktop protectors from BMS as they're too small, but thanks for the warning! We've been using the larger Listawood ones which print fine, but since complaining about the coasters we can't login to our Listawood account. I hope that's just coincidence!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangely enough they come from the same suppliers. Smaller versions still outsell the larger versions.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Strangely enough they come from the same suppliers. Smaller versions still outsell the larger versions.
    Well that is strange. I'd like to see if they're any better than they used to be but, based on the ones I still have here, I won't be buying any more in. I lost the regular customer I had because of the messing about that this caused, so I doubt that I'd sell too many more that would justify the cost of sampling.