Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 24-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  2. New Computer.........what do you all think.
    By Ian M in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
  3. computer displays ink low
    By SteveUK in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-11-2010, 03:40 PM
  4. Computer Fried
    By GoldRapt in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

One of the fortunate things about DyeSubbing is that it doesn't require 'top end' computers to produce 'artwork'or patterns.

I have a few computers including notebooks and they're all OTT for DyeSubbing.
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

So true. Good job as well. My ageing PC coughs and splutters it's way through! I tend to do most things through my laptop now as it's very stable. It's not particularly powerful but does the job fine.

I'm about to replace mobo/cpu/memory on my main PC to hopefully give it a new leash of life....well, try and keep it stable anyway!

Justin
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

About 14 months ago, I bought a netbook with the intention of it being a second PC supporting my desktop. Shortly after that, my desktop had a funny turn and wouldn't boot properly. I didn't have time to sort the PC at that time, so I loaded everything onto my netbook.

Despite having fixed the desktop PC a year ago, I haven't turned it on since because the netbook is doing all that the desktop did - and it's using a lot less power, too!

I sometimes think that people buy powerful computers because they believe that have to, or they believe the hype, when the truth is that computing power passed the point of diminishing returns about 10 years ago. How many people buy a new PC with quad-core processors and multi-GB of RAM, just because that's what the latest flavour of Windows demands?

My desktop is a P4 running at 3GHz with loads of disk space and plenty of slots for ample RAM. My netbook runs less than half that speed. The desktop used to draw 80-130W of power every hour for 14 hours a day. Today, the netbook draws 15-20W of power every hour for 7 hours a day (the other 7 hours it's running off the battery). Yet, I'm doing exactly the same work today that I used to do on the main PC.

I feel that I've learned what computing power I *need* as opposed to the computing power I'm told I should buy. And, by using a lower-powered computer, I feel I'm doing a little bit to help the planet and quite a bit to help my wallet!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

same here! I use my laptop a lot but I do have a PC still... not use much but if so there is enough "power" to do designes etc.. P4 2ghz and 512mb of ram. perfect!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <-- How To Print Stuff BLOG

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    same here! I use my laptop a lot but I do have a PC still... not use much but if so there is enough "power" to do designes etc.. P4 2ghz and 512mb of ram. perfect!
    I think I shall only ever turn my desktop PC on if I want to do a bit of video editing or something. The netbook can still do it, but there's no point using 20W for 3 hours when the same job can be done with 130W for half-an-hour. But for everything else, who really needs the huge power-blasting quad-core PCs that the salesmen tell us we should buy?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

So many people seem to spend £1000's on shiny new multi core power machines. That's fine if you have a use for them but honestly how many people do have that sort of use?

Chap at work has just shelled out a grand and a half just so he can run his Flight Sim at a higher resolution. He doesn't run anything else on it.

Justin
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

Quote Originally Posted by JNMann
    Chap at work has just shelled out a grand and a half just so he can run his Flight Sim at a higher resolution. He doesn't run anything else on it.
    Wouldn't it be better just to buy a games console?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

Flight Sim can get addictive ;)
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch Up
    Flight Sim can get addictive ;)
    The last Flight Simulator I played was on a ZX81. (I feel old!) :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

No Special Computer

....and wasn't that a good flight sim? You could get into it quickly and it wasn't complicated. I'm sure it would seem incredibly simplistic nowadays but I put in many flying hours on the ZX81!

The latest MS Flight Sims seem incredibly complex. He's looking at buying a dummy (right word there) cockpit to go into his shed to house it all! You can talk to air traffic control and the detail is so good you can 'buzz' the cows!!!

Justin :-)