Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Color Profiling on Sublimation Film & Phone Case
    By g1njeremy in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-02-2015, 12:20 AM
  2. 3d film
    By bigj2552 in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-02-2014, 12:29 AM
  3. Where do you buy film?
    By membrane in forum 3D Sublimation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-11-2013, 10:50 AM
  4. Help - Problem with printing on sublimation film!
    By olleolle in forum Printing Problems/Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D Sublimation Using Film

Hey everyone :)

Three weeks ago we purchased a Subli3D machine from BMS and have been extremely happy with the results we've been getting when using transfer paper.

Wrapping the cases is a real time-killer though: to get perfectly aligned cases with perfect corners takes about 2-2.5 minutes per case at our fastest.

So naturally we ventured into using film. However it's turning out to be a real pain to get right - the transfer comes out uneven at best on the back of the case (or front, not really sure which side is which!) and the edges are coming out blurred/warped, and sometimes there's no ink being transferred at all due to some kind of air bubble forming when the film wraps around the case.

Has anyone had any success using film in this kind of machine? Any help would be appreciated! :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyv4eva View Post
    Hey everyone :)

Three weeks ago we purchased a Subli3D machine from BMS and have been extremely happy with the results we've been getting when using transfer paper.

Wrapping the cases is a real time-killer though: to get perfectly aligned cases with perfect corners takes about 2-2.5 minutes per case at our fastest.

So naturally we ventured into using film. However it's turning out to be a real pain to get right - the transfer comes out uneven at best on the back of the case (or front, not really sure which side is which!) and the edges are coming out blurred/warped, and sometimes there's no ink being transferred at all due to some kind of air bubble forming when the film wraps around the case.

Has anyone had any success using film in this kind of machine? Any help would be appreciated! :D
    Couple of observations...
    1. You can print with paper without taping each corner. Just cut into each corner and cut the paper to the top and bottom edges of the phone case. Hold with a single piece of tape at top and bottom (from inside the case to the paper). Significantly quicker process.
    2. Make sure puck is nice and hot before you put case on and process is very reliable - pressing for 5 1/2 minutes from when temperature regained.
    3. Film will release ink differently and you will need to reduce the temperature. I've been pressing mostly with paper in recent weeks but film doesn't need the same high temperature. We have a few customers buying the film in decent quantities. If I can locate then I'll get in touch to find out what process they are using. May be a couple of weeks before I post back as just off on annual leave...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where some videos would be really useful. I'm tempted to buy a 3D machine but the process does seem a little fiddly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can locate then I'll get in touch to find out what process they are using. May be a couple of weeks before I post back as just off on annual leave...
    any news on this? Thanks

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ignore my post I have nothing to help your problem...

I am just posting something so I can keep an eye on this thread. I am interested in a 3D sub machine but only if I can use film, paper is, as many say, too much of a faff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themav View Post
    any news on this? Thanks
    Sorry I forgot to look into this. Give me a nudge in a few days as we're moving premises at the moment. The key to good transfers is a hot heat puck.

The paper technique, as mentioned below, needs nothing more that a cut to each of the four corners, a couple of cuts in the length to the phone case and one piece of tape to keep it fixed to the case. I don't wrap corners anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I noticed you post, we have a client who has used our film with your type of film, we have some a5 film for 50p per sheet if you want to try it out.

Ben Swift
    ben.swift@case-id.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Couple of observations...
    1. You can print with paper without taping each corner. Just cut into each corner and cut the paper to the top and bottom edges of the phone case. Hold with a single piece of tape at top and bottom (from inside the case to the paper). Significantly quicker process.
    2. Make sure puck is nice and hot before you put case on and process is very reliable - pressing for 5 1/2 minutes from when temperature regained.
    3. Film will release ink differently and you will need to reduce the temperature. I've been pressing mostly with paper in recent weeks but film doesn't need the same high temperature. We have a few customers buying the film in decent quantities. If I can locate then I'll get in touch to find out what process they are using. May be a couple of weeks before I post back as just off on annual leave...

Any updates on this? We have a film machine as well as a paper machine. Would be interested in how film is used in a paper type machine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by membrane View Post
    Any updates on this? We have a film machine as well as a paper machine. Would be interested in how film is used in a paper type machine.
    Sorry I never go back on this one. There isn't really a 'paper' machine. If your machine has a membrane that comes over the item then you can use paper or film, but if you have the more expensive non-membrane machines then film is used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bms View Post
    Sorry I never go back on this one. There isn't really a 'paper' machine. If your machine has a membrane that comes over the item then you can use paper or film, but if you have the more expensive non-membrane machines then film is used.
    Right, I currently own both types of machines. Do you have info on how to use film in the membrane type of machine? I'm interested in doing this to save on film. I've tried to use film in the membrane type machine and get bubbles on the top of the case which ruins the print.

Thanks