Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Second show over
    By AJLA in forum Events & Shows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-06-2012, 11:58 PM
  2. first show for us as well
    By jennywren in forum Events & Shows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  3. First Show
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  4. show off??
    By Paul in forum Forum Information/Updates etc.
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 25-09-2011, 10:02 AM
  5. NEXT BIG SHOW
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 21-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe tie the mrs to a exercise bike,
    I can get my hands on a old stand we had for a show at the NEC in a past life, looks similar to james. I may do this in the future.
    I have a short attention span.... HEY LOOK A PLANE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a guy who makes them, he made mine, and you can get one for about £199.00 plus carriage!

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All

I am following this thread with interest and have a few comments (no surprise there!!!).

Smo, I think your gazebo will be fine in most UK conditions. You may want to pack a few weights in the trailer just in case, but most of these things blow away or fall down because the person putting them up has not secured it properly. It is the same with any tent structure. The more ropes, ties, weights that are placed intelligently the better it will hold. Don;t forget that if the weather is so bad you will probably want to pack up quickly as no one will be around to purchase anyway :-) Letting it blow away is just a quicker way of packing up LOL!!!

The other bonus I think is that it looks more "homemade" or "crafty". The stalls are obviously better as they are designed to do exactly the job intended, but if you are selling craft items would it not be better to have something slightly off the more professional anyway. Just a thought.

JAMES, do you have a link to the company that you purchased from? I have an idea that will require a stand and I think that this might be the answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James do you have contact details/website for the said stand? PLEASSEEEEEEEE :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been trading at outdoor events all year round for over 6 years now, so perhaps i can help to shed a little light on some of the issues that the weather can bring.

while the weather is good, seal your gala marquee roof, take the legs off, drop it down so its just like a cricket canopy, and rub some silicone sealer over the two apex rows of stitching at either end, do the same to the long seams - believe me and lots of other traders they can and will leak, and gala and other mfrs will tell you that they are designed to be weather resistant not water proof and there is a huge difference.

The bottom rail kit without being held down just makes the whole thing a cube that will take off and roll with winds from 7mph - so on a hard standing site remember to take large empty water drums and fill them up (saves on weight on your van) the ratchets that these companies sell with them, are cheap flimsy ones, we have seen many a "full package" lift up turn over and smash to the ground, and the ratchets - and the little screw in stakes simply pulled out of the ground.

Invest in some 10Mtr ratchets. when you assemble the roof frame slip a looped ratchet over each end and then attach on a loose strap, in windy (or even breezy weather) it will become a huge sail, and we have seen many lost at this point. make it your aim to get the loose ratchets secured as soon as you get the legs on, you will not regret the extra work involved. use the ratchets as well to keep it secure while you take it down - it is not safe until the roof is off.

one the stall is up, attach further ratchets to the front and the back of the stall - our back ones attach to our 3.8tonne van, the front ones go in with army stakes, which are almost 3ft long. NEVER EVER put it up and think "its not windy today" you would be surprised at the breezes that have sent many a stall tumbling - and it will be your public liability that other stalls will claim on if you have failed to secure yours.

Market stalls, it amazes us that people are not required to have a licence to own one !! we have seen brand new 20mtr roofs sail off as they have left them on the ground, while debating which way to put the clips on ! the secret to a good market stall, is to secure it again with ratchets BEFORE the roof goes on, that way should you loose a roof - and last year on the isle of wight, 9 stalls did, and some were seasoned traders, you only loose the roof, and not the rest of the stall.

the hardest set up is always on hard standing where you cannot put stakes in, and we will always then take 25gallon (i think they are) empty barrels with us to fill up with water / sand whatever is available, and if need be leave a good "wind gap" between the roof and the sides.

hope this helps some of you looking to trade outdoors
    [h=A dictionary is the only place where success comes before work]5[/h]Laura
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Laura for that, will be much help, the only thing im nor worried about is a wonky ground :(

This is a while away yet anyway

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James990 View Post
    I hope these come out alright. This is set up as a 10ft by 10ft but as I said it can go to 20ft by 20ft. I have pinched these pictures from the people who made the stall for me.

It take about 20mins max to put up, including all metal, table boards and cover

It is a very very simular design from when I was a market trader many, many years ago. And no, I don't even need leg weights either! Mind you I do have tiedowns on standby!!!

James

Attachment 1856Attachment 1857Attachment 1858
    Looking at the photos this roughly the same as our first tent. Our second tent is more upmarket and 6 m by 3m we out grew the first one

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Superb advice Laura

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stall was made by Old Moll Manufacturing, Old Moll Road, Netherton, Huddersfield, HD4 7DN.

Yes it is Old Moll not anything else.

The telephone number 07732337821, I have a landline somewhere and when I find it I will pop that on as well.

Guys name is Nigel Farnsworth.

I ran a market stall for years in Cumbria, one of th emarkets I stood at was Ulverston, and I also went to a large number of Horse trials, country shows etc. Putting up over 20ft wide and 30 odd ft deep stalls. Yes anchor the stall and if the sheet goes so be it. But I use the ratched tie downs, with the screw in dog stake thingy. Never, despite all the bad weather that can be thrown at you in Cumbria, never did I loose a stall, or a sheet. Had my late wife take off as we were folding the sheet, but what do you expect with a 5 foot nothing person, my late wife, and a masive sheet, with both of us folding it.

One leasson I learnt with folding the sheet, is NOT to fold it like a bedsheet, but fold it eyelet to eyelet in a kind of zigzag fashion, then put it on th eground and roll it up, putting a bungie cord round it to keep it from unwinding. The whe you go to put it on again, you just need to anchor one end throw it over the apex and then drag it across the rest of the stall, works every time andit is so easy.

I have seen so many of the so called season traders struggle with their sheets, and look at me gone out, when in about 5 mins I have my sheet up and secured and they are still struggling ti get theirs on, because they have not folded it right nor anchored it when trying to put it up.

These days, I put the stall up myself and the sheet up and am usually ready to stock the stall long before others, including some with the gazebo's!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people seem to be missing the point with my MARQUEE - its not a gazebo, its not a £10 homebase cheepie. Its a bolted together steel framed marquee, there are no sides or ends on it in the pics because Ive not put them on. They zip together and are watertight - it wont be taking off in any wind and will most likely be up all year round outside our offices with my truck under it in the winter :)