Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nas

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You started this one, so go buy one and let us know how well it works! lol
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally yes, slow! Also I doubt at that price I doubt it has any sort of drive redundancy to protect your data.

The best solution is a 3+ drive NAS with RAID 5 implemented and a nightly backup to a cloud system like SpiderOak (100% secure encrypted). Fullbackup only needs to be done once and then its just an incremental/changed file backup over night to keep it all safe.
    Last edited by smo; 15-07-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @SMO, You think with SSD's a cloud system would still be needed.

The thing is, i was trying not to pay a monthly fee. If i had to buy a NAS and then a monthly fee, i would stick with cloud alone.

Im currently using a 1tb and 2 500gb's which i all share the same folder i do suppose im leaving my self vunerable to fire and theft.
    OH MY!! havnt the prices of ssd's come down flip me!!

Daz
    I have a short attention span.... HEY LOOK A PLANE!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt use SSD's in a NAS, they are not designed for it. The only ones worth using in that environment are the enterprise ones which havent come down in price and cost a fortune.

You dont need to use a cloud backup with a NAS, its simply my take on a very good belt and braces solution. Bear in mind that most cloud solutions are US based and are esentially under the control of the US government and they have full access to any data you put on it. (This shouldnt be an issue but do you really want them having access to everything?)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my main reason for it, with all the light on the us. Its highly unlikey they would look through my files theres loads of us, but its the fact they can. And as im with google at the moment im like ahhh.

I shall look deeper into the RAID 5 which you have mentioned. As at uni we kinda "brushed" on this, and i do understand its benifits. I guess years worth of work is priceless, exspecially now as im moving into sublimation, designs could take me 10 mins to a hour to make, and if it was lost i wouldnt know what to do with myself.

Are you currently using a RAID 5 smo, would you recommend it?
    With the prices of normal hd's being so low i could swap them out when "dead".

My Father runs a local private hire firm, where we record all of the cusomters data and all jobs just under 3 million job records. Those HD's are on 24/7 in constant use using RAID and i do admit its brilliant when one dies, the systems are not effected. I think everyone should be aware that they do actually die aswell bloody things.
    Mind you he does pay a £10k annual "support" package which covers replacements, SOD THAT!

OH GOOGLE WHERE ARE YOU!
    Daz

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use RAID 5 in our server and have done for years. I had a drive go down in the array 2/3 years back and you do notice it, it slows right down as its in a degraded state and has to build the data from what is left, however you wack in a replacement drive (must be the same capacity as the others) and it will rebuild - 24 hours later and all is back to normal and no data loss.

Here is a very basic explaination of RAID levels http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/...vels-tutorial/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what situation your in, but we've got nas for all our artwork, and if we need to access it from outside the we just use logmein.com to dial in and do some work. all the software is there etc. if I need something off it, I just ftp that particular file. :)
    works for me.
    Day Out Photography

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |

m. 07817 118 717

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What spec nas are you using Johnny?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a windows sever with remote access and I would outsource it for sure unless you really want to

We have raid along with dailybackup and its always my no1 priority making sure I have backups of backups just in case the worst was to happen.

Along with i have a 100mb t1 up/down connection so speed is not an issue

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a raided 2tb nas. Western Digital maybe?

Looks like this one... but it's not this one! :)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Personal-Clo...rn+digital+nas
    Day Out Photography

|
    |

m. 07817 118 717