Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. PU coating
    By tracyreed in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-02-2015, 10:26 PM
  2. sublimation coating
    By Wally in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-03-2014, 01:43 AM
  3. Sublimation coating for Blank Polyester
    By frazzle in forum Reviews Section
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  4. Sublimation Coating
    By Steve in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
  5. Sublimation Coating
    By Andrew in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How durable is sublimation coating? Any experience in coating your own substrates?

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and also pretty new to sublimation printing, so please forgive any ignorance on my part. I'm hoping some kind souls might share their experience with me, and save me many wasted hours in futile projects! I have a few specific questions...

1) how durable is the print that is acheived through dye sublimation? Specifically I am thinking of metal items such as lighters, keyrings, business cards etc, things that get knocked about in use. Does the polymer coating wear off and scratch? How quickly / badly?

2) depending on the answer to the above, has anyone had any experience of applying a coating after printing to protect the surface? I'm thinking something like an automotive lacquer perhaps?

3) creating your own blanks... I've seen the digicoat product, but I wonder how easy it would be to apply it consistently and accurately and get a high quality finish. Has anyone ever used a coating company to apply a sublimatable coating to their own blanks? Do you think such a service exists?

Thanks for reading and sorry for the multiple questions, any advice would be most welcome.

Alix

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) how durable is the print that is acheived through dye sublimation? Specifically I am thinking of metal items such as lighters, keyrings, business cards etc, things that get knocked about in use. Does the polymer coating wear off and scratch? How quickly / badly?
    I would say that if you purchase good quality blanks then it will be the best wearing print you can get.

2) depending on the answer to the above, has anyone had any experience of applying a coating after printing to protect the surface? I'm thinking something like an automotive lacquer perhaps?
    No need

3) creating your own blanks... I've seen the digicoat product, but I wonder how easy it would be to apply it consistently and accurately and get a high quality finish. Has anyone ever used a coating company to apply a sublimatable coating to their own blanks? Do you think such a service exists?
    There is no one out there that I know of. I have used the digi coat stuff and it worked okay, it will never be as good as mass produced items so you are better off sourcing something that is mass produced for dye sublimation and can be sourced from a reputable supplier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advice, socialgiraffe! Good to hear that the print is durable.

I'm having the blanks specially made, so one way or another I will have to find a way of coating them myself (or finding someone to coat them for me). I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,
    Alix