Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Printwear & Promotion Directory 2014-2015
    By GILSAN in forum Sourcing New Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-04-2015, 03:55 PM
  2. any one live near me
    By daddykev in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-01-2015, 03:05 PM
  3. Printwear & Promotion LIVE 2015
    By ArferMo in forum Events & Shows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14-01-2015, 09:09 PM
  4. Selling One of my Summer 2014 Projects.
    By NikGrey in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM
  5. Where do all you sublimators live?????
    By barryslip in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 19-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We show at trade shows, although of a different sort, and for the price we pay per square metre, I wouldn't imagine belittling the competition or deciding a potential buyer wasn't worth speaking to - we're there to make money after all.
    On the subject of belittling the competition, we've had one designer who we considered competition, buy from us to put prominently in his own shop, A lot of shops who've bought from us, have our products on the shelf along side our competitors products - they compliment each other, and help the eco system of the shop work, if we slag off the competition (who they like) they wouldn't buy from us.
    Equally, there has to be some ignoring of people coming round, as unfortunately not everyone coming round is an actual buyer - effectively they are spies, trying to copy your work, be they another designer, or a student (if you do talk to them, they ask very pointed questions about the work and how it's done, rather than how many units they have to buy)- name badges come in useful here to try and work out who people are before you talk to them, but you have to be subtle in trying to spot names and companies on the badges whilst they are walking over. Some hide their badges, and this maybe because they're spying, but bigger buyers do this too, so you don't get flustered and talk to them like any other buyer - had this happen at our first show, and towards the end of the conversation he revealed he was lighting buyer for John Lewis!
    There is also the decision of working out who is worth talking to, as you can only talk to one person at time, so on a busy day you can end up talking to someone for an hour, whilst no one else can talk to you, in the hope that they put in an order to be worth the time of you not being able to take other orders (had this happened at our last show) and thankfully some buyers came back later, or got in touch after the show.

Premium Member Tetris Champion, Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What you have just said Pisquee backs up my experience at P&P almost exactly :-)

I deliberately did not wear my badge, I only wanted to speak to three or four companies at P&P, two of them know me already and the other two I was showing my face as we had already done business. I did however peruse round the whole exhibition and I was either approached in a more "ooh you must be important no name badge man" or "PO you arrogant two bit nothing arse and where is your bloomin badge" both of which I did find very amusing.
    USING: Whatever it takes to get the job done...

Premium Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fully understand the dilemma of trying to work out who is there to buy and who is on a dayout and just passing the time of day. However, when I spoke to Mr Nova Chrome at Trade Only, it was half an hour before closing time and I there were very few people about in the basement. Now if theres one thing I really do know about its that you have to smile all day, every person you talk to is the first person you have spoken to all day. I used to photograph university graduation ceremonies - effectively you are shooting studio portraits of the graduate in their academic dress and then graduate and family. You have to get what should be a ten minute sitting into two minutes. You have to be photographer, salesman, entertainer, smoother of ruffled feathers and with a family of anywhere from 6 to 20 in front of you ringmaster as well, oh, and make sure that everyone feels like they really matter to you - and you have mean it. You start at anytime from 7.30am onwards and you finish when the interminable queue of graduates and families comes to an end anywhere between 5 and 10pm. They have been waiting in a queue for god knows how long and are often a bit fed up when they get to you. You smile, commiserate about the wait and the weather treat them to a selection of your stock lines and make sure they leave smiling. If they leave you unhappy they don't buy and they complain about the photos that they are sent or the service they received on the day - regardless of whether there is any thing actually wrong, which is very unusual if you stick to the prescribed routine and don't go off piste.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True words Arthur.... a lesson that many a person would prosper by from taking on board!
    To view links or images in signatures your Beer count must be 10 pints or greater. You have currently drunk 15 pints!.