Join our Premium Membership now and save with Xpres, Listawood, Ink Experts, Ink Express and more! Just £10 per year.....Click the Membership link above.....

User Tag List

Similar Threads

1. Apostrophe Check
    By mrs maggot in forum Take a Break
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-10-2014, 02:38 PM
  2. Always check your artwork !!!
    By mrs maggot in forum Graphics & Artwork
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  3. Check this out on Ebay
    By derek in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
  4. check this out
    By stuart in forum Buy It, Sell it, Give it away!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13-03-2012, 08:33 PM
  5. Check this package out
    By Mattie in forum General Dye-Sub Chit Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 14-04-2011, 10:00 PM
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to check Platen Temperature?

What is the best way of measuring the actual temperature of ones heat press platen? I know I could buy one of those infra-red temperature thermometers from China but I want something I can rely on as being accurate every time.

I did see a Fluke laser gauge on Ebay - Fluke is a good brand, but I was out bid :(

I need to be sure my platen is reaching the displayed temperature accurately. My Neoflex DTG arrives in June and I don't want to leave things to chance :lol:

My Press is a Adkins pneumatic Beta Major - quite expensive so maybe they're equipped with an accurate thermo regulator?

John
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Best way to check Platen Temperature?

We use the infra red thermometers - Maplin sell them for around 20 pounds
    When is the problem with the pound sign going to be fixed??? :twisted:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply Martin,

My understanding of cheap infra red/laser temperature guns is they're dreadfully inaccurate.

John
    Neoflex Direct to Garment Printer, Brother BAS-463 3 Head Embroidery Machine, Gerber Edge FX & 1, Gerber GS15Plus Plotter, Ricoh GX-7000 GelsPrinter, Adkins BETA Major Pneumatic Press, Graphtec CE5000-60 & Craft Robo, HTP616 Twinhead Mug Press & 2 Halogen Ovens.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I've borowed an infra red thermometer (Precision Gold) Hadn't realised how cheap these were....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221048

Not sure how accurate they are, we use them on fridges etc. at work and they seem ok. Just takent the temp. of my 2 flat presses. Adkins appears to be 10-20c higher with the therm. and cheaper press similar maybe a bit more.

I know I can re-calibrate the cheaper press, sure there's a way with the Adkins as well, waiting to find out. Just not sure if I should calibrate based on the therm. readings?

edit: Temps match on therm. and press up to about 70/80c and then the difference starts to appear.
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Maybe a bit hasty taking the temps. Surprised to see the Adkins was out so I've taken readings at set temps. I've made sure the press was left for a good few minutes once it reahed it's temp. and all looks ok, pretty much spot on right through from 50c - 200c. If I take a reading whilst it's heating up, the display may read 170c but actual temp. is 185-190c. Moral of this story, wait a while once the display says it's up to temp! :D
    Membership scheme now available - Just £10 per year - Regular Supplier Discounts and Special Offers!